• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Anime Would You Like To Have A Live-Action Adaption?

ForeverFlame

I'd love to see InuYasha in live action, but it would have to be Japanese. American actors for specifically Asian characters is wrong (Dragonball: Evolution and The Last Airbender). The special effects would probably be a bit iffy, but in another decade or so it could really be done properly. Even if it would take about 20 two-hour films to cover the entire series...

Death Note is a given. If the American film is done properly, it'll be great. All they have to do is keep the original non-edited story from the manga, and the fanservice from the Anime (L's foot massages, anyone?).

I've also thought about Fullmetal Alchemist. Thinking it over, the Anime's storyline would be much better suited for a live-action American film than the manga's. Just add Michael Bay, Megan Fox as Winry, and a bunch of sexual humor, and that's that. But seriously, it would be pretty cool to see live-action alchemy. The movie could cover until Lab 5, and end with Hughes's death and the Elric brothers going off to meet Izumi, and the sequel could cram the rest of the Anime into one movie. Then they can make a live-action Conqueror of Shamballa, or whatever.

Digimon would be pretty interesting. Any one of the seasons would make for a unique movie. Out of all of them, I'd say that Adventure would be better for a first film to introduce the concept of Digimon to people. Sort of like the Anime. The first movie can cover the kids' quest to defeat Devimon, and maybe include the finding of the crests to build up for the sequel, which would be about Myotismon's search for the eighth child. They would probably shorten down the cast to four or five people (not including Kari) to keep things easier to understand.

Sailor Moon would be fun. Imagine having an hour's worth of transformation sequences? I'd go see it, but only if they cast Justin Chatwin as Sailor Moon. He can give Queen Beryl his angst-stare and beat her even without the Silver Cyrstal.

TheSwedishElf

I'd love to see InuYasha in live action, but it would have to be Japanese. American actors for specifically Asian characters is wrong (Dragonball: Evolution and The Last Airbender). The special effects would probably be a bit iffy, but in another decade or so it could really be done properly. Even if it would take about 20 two-hour films to cover the entire series...

Death Note is a given. If the American film is done properly, it'll be great. All they have to do is keep the original non-edited story from the manga, and the fanservice from the Anime (L's foot massages, anyone?).

I've also thought about Fullmetal Alchemist. Thinking it over, the Anime's storyline would be much better suited for a live-action American film than the manga's. Just add Michael Bay, Megan Fox as Winry, and a bunch of sexual humor, and that's that. But seriously, it would be pretty cool to see live-action alchemy. The movie could cover until Lab 5, and end with Hughes's death and the Elric brothers going off to meet Izumi, and the sequel could cram the rest of the Anime into one movie. Then they can make a live-action Conqueror of Shamballa, or whatever.

Digimon would be pretty interesting. Any one of the seasons would make for a unique movie. Out of all of them, I'd say that Adventure would be better for a first film to introduce the concept of Digimon to people. Sort of like the Anime. The first movie can cover the kids' quest to defeat Devimon, and maybe include the finding of the crests to build up for the sequel, which would be about Myotismon's search for the eighth child. They would probably shorten down the cast to four or five people (not including Kari) to keep things easier to understand.

FMA and InuYasha must NEVER be touched by Hollywood {I'm not much of an InuYasha fan, but I greatly respect all the work that was put into it by Sunrise}, especially if they planned on handing FMA to Michael Bay and adding pointless sexual humor, we know they're gonna screw up and heavily Americanize Death note, and Digimon has such a long and complicated story that we all know they'd just go the route of making up their own crappy story and characters and slapping the name "Digimon" onto it to rake in cash.

Last edited:

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

One shouldn't expect it to be considering considering the subject matter. Even the original manga could get so tongue-in-cheek that scar tissue could barely form over the wounds. An adaptation should be no different. That said, it would certainly translate to live-action much more easily than most of the adaptations out there.

And while we're on the subject of animu gone live-action, anyone seen the trailer for Tezuka's MW? Anyone seen it with subs for that matter? Can't find them anywhere.
touché.

A while back, I had a weird idea of a Bleach live-action movie, set in the Soul Society arc, with the whole Aizen plot removed and Byakuya as the main villain - it kills the source material, just like most adaptations, so it'll be right at home xD

As for Fullmetal Alchemist? No freakin' way. No, no NO. It would not work at all. Maybe "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", the entirety of the first novel could actually fit into feature length, and as for special effects, apart from the Yuki-Asakura scene and the finale, it would be pretty cheap too. The problem is, getting a live-action cast with the awesome personalities of the main cast.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I think they're rather good choices, and so do alot of other fans I've shared the idea with, thank you. And how the crap is Criss Angel a generic casting choice? I'd say he's one of the LEAST commonly-thought-of actor possibilities for ANYTHING.

Here's a general etiquette tip--don't just outright bash someone's idea unless it is so unbelievably stupid that they desperately need some sense knocked into their heads.

Tim Burton is an artistic Gothic director; Hellsing is an unashamedably over-the-top B-move writ large. And he was referring to Johnny Depp, but I don't see what Angel could do: he looks too fey to be convincing, and now I've forgotten the main point:

Hellsing cannot work as live-action. As I said before, the amount of violence it has is borderline fetishistic: limbs go flying, heads roll, faces get ground to dust, and do I really need to say anything about Rip van Winkle's death, not to mention the attack on London? It's too niche and if it did get made, it would undoubtedly get hit with the NC-17 rating, which can kill a film's chance of success at the box office. Not to mention the demented Republican honking the film would get because of the content would see it only screened in a few cinemas, giving it only extreme niche appeal.

And fans are whiny idiots who will never ever be satisfied.

Last edited:

jigglypoof

oldskool pokeshipper
Sailor Moon would be fun. Imagine having an hour's worth of transformation sequences? I'd go see it, but only if they cast Justin Chatwin as Sailor Moon. He can give Queen Beryl his angst-stare and beat her even without the Silver Cyrstal.

Actually, about four years ago Japan came out with a live action TV series for Sailor Moon. It's really cheesy, though. Check youtube or somewhere similar online and you should find it.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
Here's a general etiquette tip--don't just outright bash someone's idea unless it is so unbelievably stupid that they desperately need some sense knocked into their heads.

Which his ideas were. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton would be a piss poor choice for Hellsing. Hell an adaptation in general would be a bad idea, for every single reason The Doctor beat me to pointing out.

This entire post is sarcasm right? It has to be. I can't even be sure anymore which is what scares me the most.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
...are you serious?

Gawd, they would make the best yoai couple ever. That scene where L washed Light's feet and when they were stuck together!!!

What about Fullmetal Alchemist?

I think FMA and Bleach would both be really cool in live action. Of course pretty much any anime would have to have either alot of CGI or a couple tons of hair die.....or both.

I think that Micheal Bay would be a great choice for either of the two animes mentioned above. And at least bleach has some sexual humor, I mean, how much fun is a PG13 movie without at least some emberrising comments.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I think that Micheal Bay would be a great choice for either of the two animes mentioned above. And at least bleach has some sexual humor, I mean, how much fun is a PG13 movie without at least some emberrising comments.

I think that Micheal Bay would be a great choice for either of the two animes mentioned above.

I think that Micheal Bay would be a great choice

I'm staring into the abyss. I don't like the look of the abyss.

Gentleman Skeleton

What about Fullmetal Alchemist?

A Fullmetal Alchemist film could potentially work. It would be a costly film to make, clocking in at at least $100 Million (and that's considering only one or two A-listers to get a foot in the door) thanks to the sheer amount of CGI that would be needed. Getting a director like Tim Burton involved would also be a big help. Another problem is that the sheer amount of content does not allow one film. If we're considering the anime plotline as opposed to the manga, you could get a trilogy out of it that would have to be filmed all at once considering the fact that you'd have to have children playing the lead roles. The first film would be everything up to Hughes' death, the second up to the Massacre of Lior and the third to the end of the series. At some point if the trilogy gets popular enough, the studio would try to break the director's balls to do one based off of Conqueror of Shambala. In other words, if they don't rush it and get the right people involved, it should work.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Objection!

But...I thought you hated hentai...

I do but for some reason, me and my friends come up with random yoai couples every now and then, it is fun to humiliate characters. If you pick at the smallest things, you can make a good gay joke about it. Me and my friends are just being stoopid!

:3

Tales of the Abyss?

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
I think Trigun would be a pretty good choice. It might do well in America because even though it's Japanese it has a lot of qualities of a western. If Cowboy Bebop is a success I could see this happening.

Yu Yu Hakusho is a favorite of mine, but it has a lot of very "anime" conventions that I don't think would go well in a film. I'd like to see it reimagined and even then I'd probably be hyper critical of it. And if they got someone girly to play Kurama (as they probably would) I'd punch a hole in the wall.

Slayers is another favorite, and I think the way the series is layed out lends itself well to a movie. I'd like to see a movie that takes elements from the anime, manga, and especially the novels and puts them into a cohesive series of movies. I'd like it to be a really full-on stylized LOTR type environment but no skimping on the comedy.

TheSwedishElf

The creator of Bleach specifically stated in an interview with Shonen Jump a couple of years ago that a live-action Bleach movie will never be made. Ever. He said that if he wanted to make something that could be redone as a live-action film, he would've just made a live-action film, and he purposely made Bleach a series that can only work as a long-running manga or anime.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet

Call me back when you're staring into the abyss and the abyss stares back. Then you've got a problem.
I think FMA and Bleach would both be really cool in live action. Of course pretty much any anime would have to have either alot of CGI or a couple tons of hair die.....or both.

Stop that right now.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Stop that right now.
No, they must continue posting ideas about live-action adaption that would only be potentially watchable based on a ridiculously huge budget.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The creator of Bleach specifically stated in an interview with Shonen Jump a couple of years ago that a live-action Bleach movie will never be made. Ever. He said that if he wanted to make something that could be redone as a live-action film, he would've just made a live-action film, and he purposely made Bleach a series that can only work as a long-running manga or anime.

Then why isn't Bleach working right now?