• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which arc of Pokemon did you like Ash Ketchum the most?

Which arc of Pokemon did you like Ash Ketchum the most?

• Kanto

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Johto

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • Battle Frontier

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Unova

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax

Legend
Hoenn! It's the only saga that knew how to balance an Ash that was a strong and skilled trainer with an Ash that was still a kid and needed to act like one.

Blessed

But he wasn't robotic. He had plenty of personality, he was still rash and he still had some humor value.

He started to get a bit bland when DP was going, but not before.

For you, maybe, not for others. Its obvious everyone has different views.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
But he wasn't robotic. He had plenty of personality, he was still rash and he still had some humor value.

He started to get a bit bland when DP was going, but not before.

He was ok in the VERY early part of the Hoenn series, but eventually, he got too stale. By DP, he was way too "alpha".

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I honestly prefer the seriousness of Ash in Sinnoh than the goofiness from Kanto/Unova.
It seems that when he is goofy, he makes horrible decisions in training.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
I honestly prefer the seriousness of Ash in Sinnoh than the goofiness from Kanto/Unova.
It seems that when he is goofy, he makes horrible decisions in training.

Not really. Ash did some pretty epic things in Kanto/Johto, as opposed to Sinnoh.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Not really. Ash did some pretty epic things in Kanto/Johto, as opposed to Sinnoh.

In Kanto, maybe, but what in Johto?

Until the Johto league at the end which was where his growth was, Ash was a lackluster trainer all throughout Johto with his absolute worst and weakest Pokemon team. He got rid of his Kanto starters and was showcased to be a barely average trainer.

I would say Ash did a lot of impressive things in Sinnoh. He made it to the Top 4 of Sinnoh, was the only trainer to beat Tobias' Darkrai, he beat Paul who was a tough opponent, he did decent in the Contests he entered, he won the Tag Team Tournament, the Pokemon Ringer. If we are talking about battle wise in Kanto, it was more of his Pokemon that won the match for him than really Ash. It wasn't until Johto that Ash really became more strategic and led his own Pokemon to victory.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Johto. Veronica Taylor took most of the Kanto season to settle into her "Ash-voice" (he sounded really nasally for quite a while), by the end Johto she had pretty much perfected her voice for Ash, with a correct balance between a mature and child-like voice. Character wise, I liked Kanto Ash in the sense that his curiosity and naivete remind me of myself when I was a kid, I prefer Johto Ash, who was a little less bumbling and knew what he was doing most of the time.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ash has never had a bad region. The weakest one was Sarah Notchenny's first year and a half, when her acting was shaky (she's improved greatly since :) ). If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the first three seasons, because Ash was best when he was stupid and funny. At least they've gone back to it in a way, which is why I have fewer problems with the Unova region than most people.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Too easy: Ash was only a real character in Kanto, the Orange Islands, and sometimes in Johto. But Kanto was the only time he was ever really remotely interesting, and also very likable and endearing too. It's the only time I can buy that he's supposed to be a 10-year old kid, he actually grew and developed over time, and there were actually more facets to his character than just being a "mature" but dim-witted trainer who loves pokemon, has terrible people skills, and is obsessed with battles and competiton. So Kanto easily wins this one for me.

By contrast. he was dull for most of Johto, even duller in Hoenn, duller still in Battle Frontier, at his absolute dullest in Sinnoh, and in Unova he's just a bland, unendearing idiot whose only redeeming quality is that he gets smacked around so much that it's like the writers don't even want us to take him seriously, and that always gives me a laugh or smile.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I liked him better in AG and DP.

In AG he was still pretty funny but his battles were better and he wasn't as stupid.

In DP, he really some what grew up in character. I still thougt was was funny but I thought he was also still just a kid that interacted with his Pokemon well here than in most of the series.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
In AG he was still pretty funny but his battles were better and he wasn't as stupid.

In DP, he really some what grew up in character. I still thougt was was funny but I thought he was also still just a kid that interacted with his Pokemon well here than in most of the series.

Rarely ever was he funny in AG and D/P, his battles being better isn't really an aspect of his character, and him not being as stupid meant that he lost the underdog appeal that he used to have. He did not grow up at all in D/P, he was the same freaking character from start to finish. And the last problem with your sentence there is "interacted with his pokemon well". Yeah, at the expense of all of his human friends!

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Rarely ever was he funny in AG and D/P, his battles being better isn't really an aspect of his character, and him not being as stupid meant that he lost the underdog appeal that he used to have. He did not grow up at all in D/P, he was the same freaking character from start to finish. And the last problem with your sentence there is "interacted with his pokemon well". Yeah, at the expense of all of his human friends!

This is only in my opinion. I don't find anything funny about BW Ash now. I think he's acting more stupid than funny. I rather the DP funny than this anyday. And I believe he did do alot of equal interacting with his DP Pokemon. Alot of his AG ones were ignored. Nowin BW his has so many that all of them are not being given enough while a few :cough:Oshawott:cough: is getting development in every episode. And in BF his Kanto Pokemon outshined his Hoenn ones. So I believe DP Ash was better.

Toward the end of the Sinnoh arc he seemed the most mature he ever was. He didn't lose his cool like he usually does when he was battling Tobias either.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Sinnoh, no question.

Blazicken

Sex on fire
Hoen (just enjoyed it the most)
Ash became a bland character since sinnoh is what I feel.
Only paul made it actiually worth-while watching.

Last edited:

catzeye

Writer's Block
I really enjoyed Ash the most in the Hoenn/Battle Frontier Saga. He was mature but still childish. Plus he was starting to show his true power as a Pokemon trainer.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
Sinnoh Ash was the best. He had learned more and was more easier to watch unlike in IS.

Status
Not open for further replies.