• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Ash do you think is the better character?

Which?

• Total voters

Leonhart

Imagineer
BabaVanga said:
I did.
There was no reason to remove his snarkiness. It didn't get in a way of his development.

I'd even say his development from OS Johto through DP to XY (excluding BW) didn't make sense looking back at his Kanto self.

I liked Satoshi's sassy backtalk in the earlier episodes, but I often feel that if he had kept that attitude throughout the series, it would've come across as stagnant and not very mature of him.

DatsRight

I like how SM and PK brought back a little of his sarcasm, not to a great degree, just enough that he seems self aware of some of the weird things around him and how long he's been doing this crap.

I'd say maybe I like SM Ash because he is the most....heartwarming? I mean the others still had plenty emotional or touching moments, but I mean that SM Ash seems to be designed to be very endearing, like he's a big goofball but he's so sweet and approachable and no one will ever be more loyal to you I guess. Maybe it's SM's greater use of quiet character driven episodes that played into that as well.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I like how SM and PK brought back a little of his sarcasm, not to a great degree, just enough that he seems self aware of some of the weird things around him and how long he's been doing this crap.

I'd say maybe I like SM Ash because he is the most....heartwarming? I mean the others still had plenty emotional or touching moments, but I mean that SM Ash seems to be designed to be very endearing, like he's a big goofball but he's so sweet and approachable and no one will ever be more loyal to you I guess. Maybe it's SM's greater use of quiet character driven episodes that played into that as well.
I found him endearing at times (the Stakataka episode being an underrated example, and the Guzzlord 2 parter characterized him greatly), but at others he was kinda annoying (the school presentation episode, his reamtch with Nanu, the episode where Rotom almost leaves, running against the walls like 10 times in Ssophocles' first episode, or him being way too easily distracted in the first episode)

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:

I think SM era Satoshi was a lot of things, but I don't think I would personally call him heartwarming. I'd say he was innocent at times and he felt more like a real kid as well, but he still did a lot of infuriating things at times, which made me view him as immature.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I found him endearing at times (the Stakataka episode being an underrated example, and the Guzzlord 2 parter characterized him greatly), but at others he was kinda annoying (the school presentation episode, his reamtch with Nanu, the episode where Rotom almost leaves, running against the walls like 10 times in Ssophocles' first episode, or him being way too easily distracted in the first episode)
Tbf Rotom was acting like a dick towards Ash. It's understandable that Ash would get upset like that lol

BabaVanga

It did coz the characters weren't like Misty anymore.
I can't imagine his snarkiness working on humble characters.
There's always the TRio that could only benefit from Ash's (and maybe not only his) snarkiness. I could see it working with various CotD/recurring characters aswell.
I liked Satoshi's sassy backtalk in the earlier episodes, but I often feel that if he had kept that attitude throughout the series, it would've come across as stagnant and not very mature of him.
I don't know, at least it would stay true to his original character. Instead, the writers removed that side of his personality completly and made him act like a nice guy for the rest of the series.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Kalos ash was BORING as a character on his own. Sure it fit it when he had battles looking badass and all but in episodes focused on character he sucked so bad. He wasn't endgame ash so @J.Agera your points don't make sense to me. Being mature doesn't mean losing your entire charm. Kalos ash had no charm. He was likable only when he was being a badass. That's a Terrible way to do a character such as ash. His excitement and hyperactivity is extremely important to him as a character. Yes his experience makes him more competent and no longer a rookie, but it shouldn't make him Bland, boring and a static Character. Speak for yourself when you say everyone liked that version more. He had no charm
Pm ash is definitely toned down than SM Ash what are you talking about?
Maturity doesn't mean making a character lose his fun. I like ash different approach after XY, doesn't make him look like an idiotic trainer with zero experience but also doesn't make him lose his charm, character and become a bland character that's only interesting in a badass, which in the end didn't really matter considering he still lost, released the Pokemon his character arc in that series was tied to the most for a stupid reason that makes no sense. I'll take the fun ash over the boring Ash any day

DatsRight

The thing is that XY Ash felt very complacent, not often challenged as a character or forced out of his comfort zone, thus he was allowed to have a very linear personality and focus the entire series. Actually SM seems to play on this at times, since he's clearly so used to doing things a certain way that he ends up a fish out of water or sometimes looking accidentally tactless. I like cases such as the Poni arc where he annoys Kiawe and Hapu by just bluntly doing as he pleases rather than following sacred rules, or the AF arc where he accidentally hurts Lillie by letting Nebby roam about free range. You can tell this isn't Ash being a jerk, he's just used to doing things his way, challenging of character I think should be brought up more when he travels different places.

game3524

The Ash being more mature in XY compared to other series is one of the biggest myth. He is still very much an idiot. This is the same kid who fell down the steps when he first arrived in Kalos, spouted gibberish when trying to explain evolution, tried to mimic Tierno's dance moves, and tried to walk on water. The only difference is the tone that XY and XYZ takes. It is more action oriented and less comedy based, so Ash's idiotic traits are shown less, but it is still very much apart of his character.

DatsRight

The Ash being more mature in XY compared to other series is one of the biggest myth. He is still very much an idiot. This is the same kid who fell down the steps when he first arrived in Kalos, spouted gibberish when trying to explain evolution, tried to mimic Tierno's dance moves, and tried to walk on water. The only difference is the tone that XY and XYZ takes. It is more action oriented and less comedy based, so Ash's idiotic traits are shown less, but it is still very much apart of his character.

That was also an annoyance sometimes, as Ash was being treated as competent despite making really dumb mistakes according to the plot and seldom called out for it. I remember liking the dub version of the Pokeball factory episode since he had fell for an exceptionally paper thin Team Rocket scheme (as in literally putting Pikachu into one of their standard electric proof cases voluntarily) and the motto was altered to them lamp shading how incredibly dumb him and the others had to be to fall for it, though again that was a product of the dub.

I tend to find the anime works better making fun of its own formula and cliches and making it part of the humour. It's not really tight enough to treat with proper dignity.

XY Ash complacent? He’s challenged the most when it comes to his character in a long time in XY.

The complaints about XY Ash are largely overblown, downright false, and are a product of tunnel vision when it comes to viewing XY.

As someone who is currently rewatching XY, it’s funny when people say he somehow lost his hyperactivity or is a “ static “ character when that couldn’t be farther from the truth

DatsRight

XY Ash complacent? He’s challenged the most when it comes to his character in a long time in XY.

The complaints about XY Ash are largely overblown, downright false, and are a product of tunnel vision when it comes to viewing XY.

As someone who is currently rewatching XY, it’s funny when people say he somehow lost his hyperactivity or is a “ static “ character when that couldn’t be farther from the truth

I'd say he was challenged more as a TRAINER than a character, hence him coming off as rather goal focused in that series. In terms of his personality and chemistries with other characters, Ash generally felt stagnant or just going through the same hoops he'd done before.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

Yeah, he was really hyperactive in the first few episodes of XY (people often forget that the very first thing he did after arriving in Kalos was faceplanting because he jumped off due to excitement, and then he immediately ran towards the Lumiose gym to challenge it, only to get kicked off), and he only got consistently serious when the Ash Greninja mastering stuff began (though he was serious at other times). My only problem about his seriousness at times was when handling the TRio, as IMO unless they're causing a more large scale threat (like with Garchomp in XY ep 2), there should be more bickering between them.

I'd say he was challenged more as a TRAINER than a character, hence him coming off as rather goal focused in that series. In terms of his personality and chemistries with other characters, Ash generally felt stagnant or just going through the same hoops he'd done before.

No clue what you're talking about, he was challenged as a character from the very beginning and throughout XY, especially XYZ.

Challenged as a trainer and challenged as a character aren't two mutually exclusive things

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
No clue what you're talking about, he was challenged as a character from the very beginning and throughout XY, especially XYZ.

Challenged as a trainer and challenged as a character aren't two mutually exclusive things
Fair enough, especially since the trainer aspect was one of the most emphasized characteristics of XY Ash, so it's not exactly easy for them to be considered separate

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Kalos ash was BORING as a character on his own. Sure it fit it when he had battles looking badass and all but in episodes focused on character he sucked so bad. He wasn't endgame ash so @J.Agera your points don't make sense to me. Being mature doesn't mean losing your entire charm. Kalos ash had no charm. He was likable only when he was being a badass. That's a Terrible way to do a character such as ash. His excitement and hyperactivity is extremely important to him as a character. Yes his experience makes him more competent and no longer a rookie, but it shouldn't make him Bland, boring and a static Character. Speak for yourself when you say everyone liked that version more. He had no charm
Pm ash is definitely toned down than SM Ash what are you talking about?
Maturity doesn't mean making a character lose his fun. I like ash different approach after XY, doesn't make him look like an idiotic trainer with zero experience but also doesn't make him lose his charm, character and become a bland character that's only interesting in a badass, which in the end didn't really matter considering he still lost, released the Pokemon his character arc in that series was tied to the most for a stupid reason that makes no sense. I'll take the fun ash over the boring Ash any day
That very subjective you because Ash was still goofy, and a badass and mature and actually had progression that kept people invested.
HE WAS NOT BORING.
It actually felt like he was a guy who travelled 5 regions.
He was never as hyperactive or excited as SM Ash or PM Ash.
That's a terrible way to handle a character. Exaggerating his singular qualities.
Everyone(most of them) liked XY Ash and that's just an undeniable fact.
He beat SM Ash in a poll when the SM Anime hype was at an all time high.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
That very subjective you because Ash was still goofy, and a badass and mature and actually had progression that kept people invested.
HE WAS NOT BORING.
It actually felt like he was a guy who travelled 5 regions.
He was never as hyperactive or excited as SM Ash or PM Ash.
That's a terrible way to handle a character. Exaggerating his singular qualities.
Everyone(most of them) liked XY Ash and that's just an undeniable fact.
He beat SM Ash in a poll when the SM Anime hype was at an all time high.
I understand your problem with SM Ash, but 2019 Ash is much less exaggerated

Sham

The Guardian of War
Ironically I found Ash at his snarkiness peak during BW and I don’t know if it’s because Iris came into play because of that but whatever. If we’re simply going by personality and not trainer skill; my favorites are probably 2019 and SM. Despite 2019 only being five episodes in, I do enjoy how he seems to be using his head a lot more (like the Bulbasaur line episode and thinking of using the fruit to handle Snorlax) and we’re getting more of his wanderlust being displayed (not that I cared that much about it in SM). As far as SM goes, I’ve always been a advocate of Ash behaving like a kid and SM did not disappoint. He had a childlike innocence in him and SM really emphasized his compassionate side which makes you want to root for him more. Him constantly declaring his love for Alola was nice as well. If I had to rate it OS>SM>DP>PK19=AG>BW>XY