• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which boss battle was the hardest in the pokemon games?

Which boss battle was the hardest?

• Giovanni

• Archie

• Maxie

• Cyrus

• Ghetsis

• N

• Lysandre

• Lusamine

• Necrozma

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red and Blue

From the games I finished to completion definitely Volo. It's a 6 vs. 8 so already the battle is rigged against the player. Especially since you aren't given the option to switch out after beating a Pokemon. Easily my hardest trainer battle.

I might of struggled with Necrozma if I didn't get a critical hit with Decidueye's Sinister Arrow Raid.

TwilightBlade

None of the trainers in the poll were hard for me to beat. I actually had a much harder time beating some of the Totem Pokemon instead like Totem Ribombee. :[

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Ghetsis In BW is pretty hard considering you fight him immediately after N and the E4 and you don’t get a chance to heal. Cynthia is also pretty difficult mostly because of her Spiritomb being able to absorb hits and it taking two hits at minimum to KO it unless you have something at Lv 100 with a Fairy type attack.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
From the games I've played so far, I'd say that Cynthia in Platinum was the hardest traditional Pokemon Boss fight I've faced. Spiritomb was an absolute monster.

The overall hardest was Arceus in PLA. Part of it was getting the timing down, and part of it was due to using a Switch Lite. I didn't make any progress in that battle until I paired a Pro Controller to my Switch and used that instead of the built-in controls (but that had other problems, mainly needing to prop up the Lite to avoid neck pain...)

alfons

Actually Shedinja hard walls Tucker's entire team if you can survive the preceding two battles. While all his Pokemon can get coverage that can hit it for SE damage, they don't carry it for the Gold symbol battle.

At the time it is faced Ultra Necrozma is quite nasty. A ten(?) level jump from the preceding fight along with an onmi-boost from its aura. Most strategies for dealing with it amount to Toxic stalling, exploiting the AI (e.g: Zoroark with a Pokemon weak to Psychic in the last slot) or gambling with affection bonuses.
Consider using Pokémon that have super effective moves against Shedinja. Moves such as Fire, Flying, Rock, Ghost, and Dark types can be useful. Ensure that your chosen Pokémon have the necessary moves to counter Shedinja effectively.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I recently faught Hop in Shield with his Zacian. I was few lv under but the dog was so hard to beat, even with Eternatus and Zamazenta on my Side.
The fact I did not have a single Fire Type was not helping.

Other than that Ghetsis, Volo and Sada/Turo were quite challenging.

Xuxuba

Necrozma was actually a disappointment when i faced it, after everyone telling me how hard it was. I just halved its speed by inflicting status and then went full out on offensive.

I mean, it's a single pokémon without self-heal, without sos pokémon nor z-moves nor priority attacks, with only damage dealing moves half of which can be easily predicted and switched into immunities.
Unlike raids, that mon has no way to deal with status effects like Toxic or even Paralysis.
It really shouldn't be much of a problem unless you want it to be.

Anyway, as much as i am tired of Cynthia being glorified by this point, i do think that her Platinum version was the hardest fight i had. Ghetsis stalled me a bit and Volo's Giratina truly annoyed me with that Obscure effect.
Also, tho not your usual turn based fight, Arceus did make me sweat a lot in Legends before i got the attacks memorized.

Last edited:

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Volo or Red

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
For those that mention the obscured effect it is very annoying on top of Giratina having the Phantom Force attack. You can get your own version by catching Cresselia before fighting Volo. That is if players go after more of the legendaries and learn about them before Volo.

More recently the entire brilliant diamond Elite 4 has made me put off the game because of the improved ai. I barely defeated them once.

Turo's boss fight was kind of ok but a bit predictable. Terapagos on the other hand made me sweat. i had no idea what weaknesses that turtle cycles through.