• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which boss battle was the hardest in the pokemon games?

Which boss battle was the hardest?

• Giovanni

• Archie

• Maxie

• Cyrus

• Ghetsis

• N

• Lysandre

• Lusamine

• Necrozma

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

vondecayle

Which boss battle was the hardest in the pokemon games?

Last edited:

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Evice single-handedly made me decide to quit my "No Grinding Allowed" playthrough of Pokemon Colosseum. I'd say he's the only Pokemon final boss where you'd truly need to get really lucky to defeat at a significant level gap.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Out of the main games, I would say that the battle against G-Cis [Ghetsis] in Black was the most difficult for me, although even then I think I may've only lost two Pokemon during the battle. I've heard people say that Ultra Necrozma was tough, but from what I remember, I was able to beat it quite easily.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I'm nominating Volos for the toughest villainous boss fight. Even with Pokémon at higher levels than his you can't beat his team unscathed. Part because of his line up and part because of PLA's battle system (I still weep and miss it everyday), but for me he is without a doubt my toughest nemesis in any Pokémon game.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Dome Ace Tucker for the Gold symbol in Emerald for me. His team is really well balanced between Swampert, Latias, and Metagross and also really powerful. There's no shared weakness there and you have to survive the battles before it as well

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Dome Ace Tucker for the Gold symbol in Emerald for me. His team is really well balanced between Swampert, Latias, and Metagross and also really powerful. There's no shared weakness there and you have to survive the battles before it as well
Actually Shedinja hard walls Tucker's entire team if you can survive the preceding two battles. While all his Pokemon can get coverage that can hit it for SE damage, they don't carry it for the Gold symbol battle.

At the time it is faced Ultra Necrozma is quite nasty. A ten(?) level jump from the preceding fight along with an onmi-boost from its aura. Most strategies for dealing with it amount to Toxic stalling, exploiting the AI (e.g: Zoroark with a Pokemon weak to Psychic in the last slot) or gambling with affection bonuses.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Cyrus, Lusamine, and Necrozma are the only noteworthy fights here

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I haven't fought Necrozma so I won't vote, but out of the ones I have fought on the list I'd go with Ghetsis as his team took me by surprise my first time playing BW and I still fear his Hydreigon.

Volos also gets my vote as PLA's system allows him to be pretty nasty, especially if you're unprepared.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Ghetsis in B/W, I was puzzled when his Hydreigon somehow outsped my Galvantula despite the latter not having a Speed-hindering nature.
I also remember losing to Korrina in the Tower of Mastery.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
What............where are Volo and Cynthia ?

Volo is quite tough with his 8 pokemon and all versions of Cynthia have been quite strong too.

vondecayle

What............where are Volo and Cynthia ?

Volo is quite tough with his 8 pokemon and all versions of Cynthia have been quite strong too.
I can’t mention every character since there’s a limit to the poll options.

vondecayle

Such a shame then?
I include the “other” category as a way to try and remedy this. People are always welcome to mention their answers in the comments!

Luthor

At the time it is faced Ultra Necrozma is quite nasty. A ten(?) level jump from the preceding fight along with an onmi-boost from its aura. Most strategies for dealing with it amount to Toxic stalling, exploiting the AI (e.g: Zoroark with a Pokemon weak to Psychic in the last slot) or gambling with affection bonuses.

Also with Necrozma unless you look up the typing before the battle there's an added difficulty with it when you first fight it as it changes type at the start (which for people who go into the battle blind are potentially surprised). Its not going to be tough for everyone depending on their team (my team beat it first time) but it can be tough for those who are unprepared.

Ryker101

Red, Ultra Necrozma and Volo are the hardest imo. They all have that surprise factor and took me multiple tries to beat

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Yes Necrozma is a definitely a formidable boss but Volo's Giratina getting a second wind (free max revive) as a 8th pokemon is just way above Necrozma.

Necrozma is predictable by using Mimikyu Toxic the use a Zoroark disguised as a mono-type fighting like Machop/Machoke and use Foul Play to turn the Totem Boosts against it

Xionea

Half a centaur
Ghetsis in B/W, I was puzzled when his Hydreigon somehow outsped my Galvantula despite the latter not having a Speed-hindering nature.
I also remember losing to Korrina in the Tower of Mastery.
I remember struggling with Ghetsis's Hydreigon too. It outsped my whole team and could OHKO everything I had except for my Reuniclus. I had to heal stall and pray he didn't get a critical hit in order to win lol.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I think Volo was the only one who was genuinely even remotely hard, and that's more because the battle mechanics in PLA are pretty unforgiving when they toss you into a 6v8 against a guy with two title legendaries with boosted stats. Ultra Necrozma can be dangerous if you underestimate it but if you prep for it even a little bit it's not that hard, and the rest of the champions and bosses are trivialized by, like, understanding the game. This is sort of an unavoidable problem as long as Gamefreak refuses to add customizable difficulty. They need to make the game easy enough that a young child who hasn't played any of the other games can reasonably beat it, but that means experienced players will have no trouble with it unless they're adding artificial restrictions to themselves such as through a nuzlocke challenge.

Xuxuba

None of them were particurlaly hard, but i guess some of them were more annoying to defeat than others, like Ghetsis and Lusamine who had rather bulky pokémon compared to other villains (though USUM Lusamine was considerably easier without the stat boost).

Volo by himself wasn't that hard but the Giratina that followed after did give me a lot of trouble.

Didn't play much of USUM, but i don't think i had that much trouble with Necrozma? He did beat some of my pokémon, but i don't think i had to face him more than once, i honestly think i had a harder time with totem Lurantis.

Last edited: