• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which character names do you like better?

English or Japanese names of people in pokemon?

• Total voters

Chimungus

which pokemon character names do you like better? jappanese or english? i like both the same!

-Chimungus ;457;

The Portugese names.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Either is fine.

Of course the Japanese names are hardly original. Haruka? Hikari? Shinji? How many anime characters have names like that? I can think of quite a number in other anime.

And while May and Max are common english names too, at least Ash, Misty, and Brock aren't.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
It depends really. I think Misty sounds infinately cooler than Kasumi, while Haruka sounds prettier than May. And I prefer Satoshi to Ash, because even though Satoshi isn't that unique a name, it makes a hell of a lot more sense~

The only japanese names I ever use are for May, Max and Drew, but that's just force of habit and all. I wonder if anyone out there is a big enough Gravy fangirl or boy to have noticed that? You're out there somewhere, and I'm on to you ya perve! >/

The Portugese names.
WTF BattleFranky, you Portugesaphile!

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Well, since the Japanese names for characters come out like 8-10 months before the English names, I get really accustomed to using them. I still say Kanata instead of Kelly, for example. For the main characters and Pokemon, I eventually get used to using their English names after some time, like how I'm just now starting to use Mime Jr. instead of Manene.

A lot of the English names are also pretty bland, with exceptions here and there like Solana. I pretty much alternate between the two languages' names, though, sometimes even in the same post!

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Well, for the Pokemon, I'll say their English names, unless I'm making a joke related to the Japanese names, or comparing the versions...

Although, I always use Manene since it is SO easier to type then Mime Jr.

And no, using Japanese names does not make you an Elitist, forcing other people to use them is. I personally know both sets of names, so I don't give a darn what language you prefer.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Either one. It's not all that fair to compare them since what we may think is awesome in Japanese is boring to them(and vice versa), and I usually end up using whichever one sticks. Which is often the Japanese name since I see those episodes first and I don't watch EVERY SINGLE English ep. The names of main characters, gym leaders, and Pokemon tend to be exceptions to this, though. (the exception to THAT being when the two names are very similar, such as Houen and Hoenn, Shuu and Drew, and Shinnou and Shinou) I really don't care which names other people use since at best I either know the name already or can figure it out from context, and at worst I have to look it up(which takes a few clicks at most). People insisting that one is better than the other(EITHER one) is generally what gets my goat.

I like both. I'm used to the English names but there are some Japanese names that I liked and should've never been (or shouldn't be) changed to English names (i.e. Hikari-though the change is bound to happen, Shinji-kids can say it rite?, and Hinata-if Naruto can pull it off pokemon could've).

So yeah, I like both English and Japanese.

Crystal Clair

I like both English and Japanese
I like all of the English names from season one through seven. From then on, I got too used to the Japanese names to convert.
Other than that, I use the Japanese names if I like them better. For example, I call Grovyle "Juptle" and Sceptile "Jukain" and Harrison "Hazuki" and some other names that name.
I dont call Manene or Manyula or any of the new Pokemon their English name except for Bonsly because it's ok, although nothing beats that Usohachi cry from the ninja episode
Usoha! Usoha! Haaa! Haaa! T_T
XDD
I also call Hoenn "Houen" and Sinnoh "Shinou".

Redeevee

yeah ya are. lol i kid, any way is there any real pronounciation difference in shinou and sinnoh. othere thane the h. so frome
Shih-now to Sihn-noh

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
For me, it depends on the name. Some names are stupid in any language (what kind of name is "Butler" for a scientist/magician?)