• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which character would you have preferred to take Ash’s role as lead?

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
I wish we can get a series of specials starring May Dawn and Serena on their contest journeys. It presents countless interesting possibilities, one of them being May and Dawn thinking about what to do after winning a grand festival, and Serena seeing in practice whether contests pushed her showcase career on a back track. It's much more interesting premise than the excuse we have now. It also allows them to tackle issues about self introspection of the three girls that otherwise may be cut due to time constraints. It's not bound by the obligation to showcase new Pokemon and including TR just to have familiar faces appear. It's a whole new world that can provide contrast to the side we see of Pokemon we see every day.

Kind of like open world games, where the main quest keep happening, but the side quests are what allow you to immerse yourself. A scene with Serena sipping coffee while looking out the window in the morning, or May and Dawn just having a chat while eating at a diner is something the pacing of Pokemon anime doesn't allow, but something that is much more realistic and immersive to experience for the viewer. It doesn't need to have dazzling animations, but rather something so signify what they actually go through everyday. It can be a wonderful way to unite the past and futures of the characters that have already been established, but showing them in a light that is unknown to the viewers. The character themselves begin to see things in a different light. Something that would be purely conveyed by the writing instead of flashy animations or cheesy lines. Simply a combination of direction and writing.

And what better way to bring it together than contests, a competition that signifies the bonds of trainer with their Pokemon through display and battle. With something that has been the true lesson of Pokemon since it's beginning.

----------------

Wasted enough time trying to make it sound cool.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I wish we can get a series of specials starring May Dawn and Serena on their contest journeys. It presents countless interesting possibilities, one of them being May and Dawn thinking about what to do after winning a grand festival, and Serena seeing in practice whether contests pushed her showcase career on a back track. It's much more interesting premise than the excuse we have now. It also allows them to tackle issues about self introspection of the three girls that otherwise may be cut due to time constraints. It's not bound by the obligation to showcase new Pokemon and including TR just to have familiar faces appear. It's a whole new world that can provide contrast to the side we see of Pokemon we see every day.

Kind of like open world games, where the main quest keep happening, but the side quests are what allow you to immerse yourself. A scene with Serena sipping coffee while looking out the window in the morning, or May and Dawn just having a chat while eating at a diner is something the pacing of Pokemon anime doesn't allow, but something that is much more realistic and immersive to experience for the viewer. It doesn't need to have dazzling animations, but rather something so signify what they actually go through everyday. It can be a wonderful way to unite the past and futures of the characters that have already been established, but showing them in a light that is unknown to the viewers. The character themselves begin to see things in a different light. Something that would be purely conveyed by the writing instead of flashy animations or cheesy lines. Simply a combination of direction and writing.

And what better way to bring it together than contests, a competition that signifies the bonds of trainer with their Pokemon through display and battle. With something that has been the true lesson of Pokemon since it's beginning.

----------------

Wasted enough time trying to make it sound cool.
I thought about May, Dawn & Serena as protagonists, as one of the possible ideas for my fan project at the end of XY. But I'm not so familiar about the AG & DP rivals since I didn't really watch those series. :( I mean it would be cool to see how Serena would interact against Harley, or Dawn vs Miette.

The game protagonists. They should have done something like Pokemon Adventures manga in which each series has a pair of new protagonists. But I wouldn't want them in more than one series as protagonists though.
And who will be that child's mother?
Serena

Morax

King of heroes
I agree on him being better than XY Ash
They didn't try the same thing with gladion, his whole arc was different and he was more of a character than Alain, I loved how they focused on his family, he got plenty of focus and a rivalry with ash that had a proper end.
Gladion was more of a character than alain because.....? Alain's whole "obsessed with power" shtick was more interesting to watch. Gladion is down there with trip in terms of characterization.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Gladion was more of a character than alain because.....? Alain's whole "obsessed with power" shtick was more interesting to watch. Gladion is down there with trip in terms of characterization.
I just explained because. Alain's whole obsessed with power arc really started at mega evolution IV anyway and was so boring. I liked Alain until Mega evolution 3, after that he became a boring character with an arc that has so much lost potential and frankly is contrived

Morax

King of heroes
I just explained because. Alain's whole obsessed with power arc really started at mega evolution IV anyway and was so boring. I liked Alain until Mega evolution 3, after that he became a boring character with an arc that has so much lost potential and frankly is contrived
>Alain boring
>Gladion not boring
I guess it boils down to preferences. Understandable, have a nice day.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ash’s younger brother is perfect for a successor IMO
I could see Go or Dawn taking his place as a lead. Max could also work. Maybe the female MC from
FRLG?

Jibanyan

Go is too "actual" to be a permanent character like Ash or TRio, he spend his childhood glued to a PC, uses smartphones, etc and all those things kids of today do, this isn't just my opinion, read the interviews, he is written and designed to be like that which is fine but those type of character get dated too soon/ age badly. Ash is written to be timeless and even so his personality changed because he was full of 90s anime cliches in OS.

RetroPokeFan

I was thinking of a GX type scenario where it's a new character and the previous main character Ash acts as an inspiration to the new character in the same way that Yugi was for Jaden.

Just not a full on GX type series complete with a Pokémon academy of course since we already have both Melemele Island and Cerise's lab styled like that and having another place like those two would feel a little repetitive.

Short Answer: That is a good question.
Long Answer: if Ash were to give his torch to what protagonist, It'd be... A Generic Trainer who still start with a Pikachu Victor because why not?

ChiVulpix

Pokémon master
I have 2 options for this.

The first one is Iris since she is focused on battling. I'm not bashing on contests, but I know lots of boys wouldn't like a contest focused anime. I love Iris's personality, but I would love to see her develop more which she would as a protagonist. Plus she's the champion in black 2, so making her eventually become the Unova champion in the anime wou make sense.

Then we have Bonnie. I loved seeing Bonnie's love for battling and performing which are clashing interests that would make for a nice conflict around the story. Plus she seems like kinda a natural at battling. The whole Zygarde thing would also be fun to explore further.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
May represented something new for the anime and thus would’ve been the most logical choice for a replacement. There was the whole rookie/mentor relationship between her and Ash that also wasn’t too uptight to the degree that they couldn’t be considered close friends as well; while her arc, personality, and development in general just screamed protagonist. May really made a statement and was easily the highlight of AG, in all her archetypal familiarity. That’s why I like her so much; she’s the paradigm early 00’s shoujo protagonist in comparison to Ash’s similarly shonen role.

Dawn is another pick. But since she and Ash are so heavily associated in the narrative, the co-star role really fit her the best.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
none tbh , he is i conic
but if chronicles happen again , i want serena, dawn and may contest series

Ash's grandson or Ash son

I can imagine a immature son as Ash in OS, plus getting the 3 starters I will not mention his mother because some here will trigger