• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which characters characterization did you enjoy the best?

Who had the best characteriza

• Misty

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Brock

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • May

• Max

• Dawn

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Cilan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iris

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Bonnie

• Serena

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Clemont

• Total voters

Sham

The Guardian of War
Not to be confused with development although sometimes development plays a part in expressing/exposing a characters personality and thought process it isn’t the end all be all.

My favorite is probably a tie between Iris and Dawn.

I enjoyed how Iris essentially had a rough childhood and was constantly in doubt of her abilities despite being a childhood prodigy because she acted more like a child than the other kids at her school. This lead her to internalizing condemning childish behavior and made her call out Ash every time she got a chance essentially making her a hypocrite. Iris couldn’t express being a child as a child so she decided to play grown up whenever Ash was around who freely behaved like a kid a times and overall was more playful compared to let’s say her, Cilan or Trip. It also was great seeing her apprehensive about excepting Drayden offer to take his Gym only to become the Champion of Unova which made her development go full circle. She’s able to be a powerful trainer and be childish as seen in her fight with Ash. She’s found a medium.

Dawn somewhat started with a big head. Because she’s always dreamed of becoming a Top Coordinator and her mother was one she had this sense of having a high standard of her abilities of becoming a good coordinator and when she couldn’t execute her expectations she fell into a depression. I liked how she went from being overconfident to being able to accept a lost and take the time to really analyze why she lost. Instead of sulking over her GF she happily expressed interest in learning what she did wrong in her GF defeat (that lost was BS but another essay for another day).

Special shout out to Lillie and Chloe but especially Lillie.

*didn’t have enough room for SM and beyond so just do write ins*

Serena out of these options.

And since we are talking about character characterization: Butterfree’s development>Greninja’s development

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I chose Dawn but Misty, Brock, Iris, Clemont, Bonnie, Kiawe, Lillie, Mallow, Sophocles, Goh and Chloe all had amazing characterisations that were a joy to watch for me personally
Tracey and Max were just plain boring to me
May, Cilan, Serena and Lana all had personalities and characterisation but none that stood out particularly interesting to me and I find their characterisation not really fun

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Top:
Serena <3 love you
Such a lovely personality and such an amazing character development. Rewatching XY now and Im enjoying every minute of her.
10/10

Bottom:
The SM children. All seem like one dimentional characters for me with boring goals. Even their designs consisted of only one color which represents their "speciality" types, so unoriginal and boring.
0/10

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Top:
Serena <3 love you
Such a lovely personality and such an amazing character development. Rewatching XY now and Im enjoying every minute of her.
10/10

Bottom:
The SM children. All seem like one dimentional characters for me with boring goals. Even their designs consisted of only one color which represents their "speciality" types, so unoriginal and boring.
0/10
I’ve noticed that a majority of your posts have been saying negative things about the Sun & Moon series and its characters. I haven’t seen the series, since I’m not emotionally invested in any of its characters unlike, BW (Cilan, Iris), XY (Clemont, Serena), and even JN (Chloe. Just Chloe.)
So…

Is there anything you tolerate about SM? Or is it really just an awful show with too many characters? *cough* The Flash since season 3 *cough*

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I’ve noticed that a majority of your posts have been saying negative things about the Sun & Moon series and its characters. I haven’t seen the series, since I’m not emotionally invested in any of its characters unlike, BW (Cilan, Iris), XY (Clemont, Serena), and even JN (Chloe. Just Chloe.)
So…

Is there anything you tolerate about SM? Or is it really just an awful show with too many characters? *cough* The Flash since season 3 *cough*
You r welcome to pm me about this cuz its not related to this thread:)

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
In terms of overall characterization, I’m voting for Bonnie. I love her mix of precocious little sister, deadpan snarker, friend-to-all-living-Pokemon and shipper-on-deck. Her running gag got old, but unlike Brock’s running gag, she stopped after it backfired on her. And some of the best scenes in XY and XYZ belong to her.

She’s going to make a great trainer someday, and I wish we could get a series following her journey.

And since we are talking about character characterization: Butterfree’s development>Greninja’s development
Greninja’s development arc of becoming stronger got wasted after he lost in the finals, whereas Butterfree had a short but sweet character arc.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So…

I mean tbh you really shouldn't take their opinion to judge the show considering they are well.....just overly toxic and negative about SM, not even constructive
SM isn't everyone's cup of tea considering the different theme it approached and went with which was divisive after XY, but for what it set out to do, it did REALLY well and garnered a massive loyal fanbase
If you don't mind a more laid back tone for the series, not necessarily focusing on battles but more on characters, their relationships with each others, their bonds with the mons, the mons having a really riveting personality and Ash being a bit more flanderised and silly, I think you'd enjoy and love the series if you give it a chance, esp when you get used to the artstyle after some 20 episodes or so. It's heartwarming, wholesome and has a really nice tie and bow ending that brings the themes full circle and satisfyingly ends the saga, while having fun story and character arcs in between as well.

that pokemon lost all its personality when Caterpie evolved. It became a monster butterfly that only served to lose battles, in fact it was only used once against misty and one more battle, after that people only remember it for nostalgia. What makes Butterfree so special? has less personality than a rock, literally (Boldore at least had a few moments)

Last edited:
I voted for Dawn, the other best girl Lol, but I enjoyed both their characterizations equally.

Also Dawn's clumsiness in Journeys reminded me of Usagi from Sailor Moon and I just realized that they have somewhat similar bubbly personalities except Dawn doesn't cry as much as Usagi does lol
Well, Serena has a knack for making friends. She is very reliable and is willing to give her life for her loved ones if necessary, sometimes she is childish (as she should be for her age) and mature when she has to be, so yes, you can find similar characteristics between her and Dawn

Well, Serena has a knack for making friends. She is very reliable and is willing to give her life for her loved ones if necessary, sometimes she is childish (as she should be for her age) and mature when she has to be, so yes, you can find similar characteristics between her and Dawn
I was talking about Sailor moon in case someone didn't understand

Applecorp

Serena's when she wasn't obsessing over Ash. When she was shown talking to characters like Shauna and Miette and her mom she was actually real interesting and I liked that she didn't know what her goal was going to be.

She was realistic in times like those and we need more characters who are believable in this show.

SerenaRulez

I would say Clemont, Serena, Dawn and Bonnie. I liked very much how Clemont was shy and insecure and he grew out of that thanks to Ash. Serena was also clueless about what to do with her Pokemon journey but she got better thanks to her experiences with Ash and Miette and Shauna.

Dawn got so much development and became almost like a female version of Ash by the end of Sinnoh. And Bonnie was a lot of fun to watch. :)