• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which companion did you feel like the writers didn’t have a clear plan for?

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Serena obviously. Iris too now that I think about it. They basically waited like 30 episodes before settling on the dragon master thing that seemed like a far cry from her gym leader status in the games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Serena obviously. Iris too now that I think about it. They basically waited like 30 episodes before settling on the dragon master thing that seemed like a far cry from her gym leader status in the games.
I personally think that they might've originally decided during the early stages of BW's development phase to make her the Soryu City Gym Leader eventually like she was in B/W, but then changed their minds for whatever reason. I think the Dragon Master goal was meant to tie into her character arc with Shaga, but it never really met its full potential.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I personally think that they might've originally decided during the early stages of BW's development phase to make her the Soryu City Gym Leader eventually like she was in B/W, but then changed their minds for whatever reason. I think the Dragon Master goal was meant to tie into her character arc with Shaga, but it never really met its full potential.
Well I mean halfway through the series they (game developers) decided to make her the Champion and so they probably didn't think it would make logical sense to make her a Gym leader since everything from then on out was about BW2 (BW2 Cheren, Marlon and Roxie being his last badge). It wouldn't surprise me if they intended on making her Champion only after BW ended. And quite frankly I'm kinda glad they didn't stuff her in a Gym position role. Misty already got that ending so I didn't see a reason for repeat.

BlueDragonfangirl

Tracey and Cilan to an extent. Most of the time they were just there taking up space. Cilan had no actual reason to go traveling with Ash and Iris and was mainly there so that the other two wouldn’t starve to death. His recurring connoisseur gag got old really quick. Tracey was just awful though. He hardly did anything and he could have been used as a guide of the Orange Islands without any issues. But no. He just sat around and drew pictures 95% of the time and used his Pokémon (which aren’t that bad to use in the games) as tracking devices.
What do you mean? Tracey's goal was to meet Professor Oak, stated from the very start and he accomplished it. He just had the same issue Brock had, neither of them really did much during traveling.

I don't think they really had any idea what Ash's Pokemon Master goal is. Its just at random, they keep tossing in things to try and push whatever it is forward.

Now we have Go, his achiment is to catch Mew. I have a feeling I know how he will be written off once as conclude this series because of an interview but its nothing to do with his goal. Mean while he's tossing Pokeballs left and right at Pokemon, what for? He doesn't even do contests or gyms to use them for.

I'd have said Serena but she found one eventually and would keep getting better at it.

Bendicion

Water Master
May as well, sure she got her arc I guess, but after a while she didn't really stick out unless the show was focusing on it specifically, not getting a lot of interactions or importance unless the story was tailor made for her. This is what I really did not like about her story. It's ridiculous that the whole first year of Hoenn May’s arc barely got started. 50 episodes into AG, and the writers still have made no solid progress on May as a Pokemon Coordinator. Her personality didn't really change much either. I don't feel she has matured since her debut. All that filler hell in Hoenn and she is sidelined along with Brock and Max.

Pokemonfan5

May as well, sure she got her arc I guess, but after a while she didn't really stick out unless the show was focusing on it specifically, not getting a lot of interactions or importance unless the story was tailor made for her. This is what I really did not like about her story. It's ridiculous that the whole first year of Hoenn May’s arc barely got started. 50 episodes into AG, and the writers still have made no solid progress on May as a Pokemon Coordinator. Her personality didn't really change much either. I don't feel she has matured since her debut. All that filler hell in Hoenn and she is sidelined along with Brock and Max.
Idk how May can be count in this when writers introduce Pokemon contest very early in episode 13 and May tell the group about becoming coordinator in episode 16, after that writers are making her Wurmple fully evolved to Beautify for contests than we got Drew her major rival in episode 33 and she debut in her first contest in Episode 35 where she face the harsh defeat, so much things happened with May's character.

Also May is the first female protagonist so it's new challenge for writers like how Ash character wasn't well written in the beginning and they improve it during DP with Dawn.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Max, obviously. Brock during basically his whole tenure he was just kinda there.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Serena. Took her long to have a goal for the sake of "realism", then decided to rush her goal because they couldn't innovate the Showcases more, then pushed the ship tease stuffs because she didn't have anything to do and then trying another competition from another region which gave the impression that the Showcases are inferior to the Contests in their views.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Serena. Took her long to have a goal for the sake of "realism", then decided to rush her goal because they couldn't innovate the Showcases more, then pushed the ship tease stuffs because she didn't have anything to do and then trying another competition from another region which gave the impression that the Showcases are inferior to the Contests in their views.
Um......you do know all of XYZ was crammed together because they only had a year left and a lot of it needed to be devoted to other major plotlines that took half that year right?

They didn't rush the goal because they couldn't do anything but because they actually didn't have the time to do anything since they were told they only had the year to conclude plot points.

Let's not invent things.

(also, she went to try Contests to improve her Showcase game, not because of some weird reading that they're better than Showcases...)

RafaSceptile

Um......you do know all of XYZ was crammed together because they only had a year left and a lot of it needed to be devoted to other major plotlines that took half that year right?

They didn't rush the goal because they couldn't do anything but because they actually didn't have the time to do anything since they were told they only had the year to conclude plot points.

Let's not invent things.
The XY part of Showcases was not much better than the XYZ part, so I highly doubt more time would change anything

Sham

Let's not invent things.

(also, she went to try Contests to improve her Showcase game, not because of some weird reading that they're better than Showcases...)
How would Contests help her improve in Showcases when Contests removes the performer from the performance and adds a battle round. One of those are crucial to Showcases and the other is completely irrelevant to them.

Epicocity

How would Contests help her improve in Showcases when Contests removes the performer from the performance and adds a battle round. One of those are crucial to Showcases and the other is completely irrelevant to them.
Gee, it's almost like you can get an idea from things not related to your profession...it's almost like Serena didn't get the idea of how to incorporate Eevee's dancing from Tierno's dance battling style...

Regardless of how you feel, though, it was explicitly stated in text as checking out Contests to give a different experience to enhance Showcases.

The XY part of Showcases was not much better than the XYZ part, so I highly doubt more time would change anything
One, subjective in how you feel it was handled. Two, there were three Showcases over a period of about 30 episodes in XY, and 3 (one of which was the Master Class) in XYZ's 20 episodes. Yeah, it's pretty clear they crammed a lot in. They didn't rush it due to "not having ideas". It's very clear how they sped up the quest in order to fit everything in, especially since almost immediately after that they jumped into the Ash-Greninja arc, League, Flare and finale.

(why am I not surprised it's you two instantly jumping down my throat...?)

Pokemonfan5

She is NOT. May was never really more than a side character with a side character's amount of screen-time and character development.
Did we seriously watch same series? May is the first female character who had large character focus which can rival Ash, because of being a beginner trainer she had much more development than Ash had in AG also had her own rivals who is way better than any companion rivals.

Last edited:

Sham

Gee, it's almost like you can get an idea from things not related to your profession...it's almost like Serena didn't get the idea of how to incorporate Eevee's dancing from Tierno's dance battling style...

Regardless of how you feel, though, it was explicitly stated in text as checking out Contests to give a different experience to enhance Showcases.
Yep so if a Doctor wants to be a better doctor they should start working as a Pharmacist. Got it.

Epicocity

Idk, the Rhyhorn situation during that showcases is a good example of not having ideas of how to handle showcases. Serena did literally nothing and she won.
Well, that misses the point of that entire sequence. One being the whole "nothing we do is a waste of time", two being a callback to XY 7, and three, most importantly, the fact that while Serena won easily, she still went after the one lone Rhyhorn that approached no one, showcasing the attributes of a Kalos Queen as outlined by Aria and Palermo.
Yep so if a Doctor wants to be a better doctor they should start working as a Pharmacist. Got it.
This is a false equivalence regardless, but yeah, I'd imagine a doctor would be better to continuously research all the different drugs on the market and understand how they could affect their patient even if it isn't in their particular concentration.

But I'm not gonna continue this further because you love to find new and subtle ways to twist logic so your own views come out on top. I was only chiming in to fix a wildly inaccurate statement based on actual real-life interviews, not someone's opinion on a character that's colored by what they wanted.

Sham

But I'm not gonna continue this further because you love to find new and subtle ways to twist logic so your own views come out on top. I was only chiming in to fix a wildly inaccurate statement based on actual real-life interviews, not someone's opinion on a character that's colored by what they wanted.
I’ll take that as a compliment. A skill is a skill. And I’m pretty sure MD’s constantly take classes so they wouldn’t need to do that job anyway and have access to information about drugs prior to prescribing. Nonetheless it’s pretty clear you nor the writers know how Contests would help her in Showcases.

RafaSceptile

Well, that misses the point of that entire sequence. One being the whole "nothing we do is a waste of time", two being a callback to XY 7, and three, most importantly, the fact that while Serena won easily, she still went after the one lone Rhyhorn that approached no one, showcasing the attributes of a Kalos Queen as outlined by Aria and Palermo.
Sorry but I can't believe someone is actually defending the Rhyhorn fiasco, especially when other characters like Goh are heavily criticised by getting things by doing absolute nothing.