• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which do you prefer: Viz Action, Viz Shonen Jump (manga novels, not mag) or Tokyopop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalyst

Aim for the Top.
BattleFranky~40 said:
Tokyopop is horrible.

The fawk? They gave us the BR manga, they at least get points. =|

TP isn't that bad. Yes they do have soem screw up on translations and one series is screw up(Initial D) but that doesn't mean the entire company suck.

For me, I love Dark Horse the best. Provide top notch translation, paper quality, authentic-ness etc. underated but excellent.

zonic the hedgehog

HUR HUR USER TITLE
I only like Tokyopop for Keroro Gunso. :\

Other than that, everything else isn't appealing to me.

I'm a fan of Dark Horse though, since they release stuff that's a bit less mainstream and therefore harder to get on the internet if you know what I mean. :F

Shonen Jump... not really. I do have the first few volumes of the monthly books, but that's about it.

Hmm, I've just thought of a question- is CMX any good?

I've seen some of their stuff in the bookstore, but I'm avoiding it until someone assures me that I won't be wasting my money on crap.

I only like Tokyopop for Keroro Gunso. :\

Other than that, everything else isn't appealing to me.

I'm a fan of Dark Horse though, since they release stuff that's a bit less mainstream and therefore harder to get on the internet if you know what I mean. :F

Shonen Jump... not really. I do have the first few volumes of the monthly books, but that's about it.

Hmm, I've just thought of a question- is CMX any good?

I've seen some of their stuff in the bookstore, but I'm avoiding it until someone assures me that I won't be wasting my money on crap.

Some of CMX titles are good except one: Tenjo Tenge. They kinda "raped" that one. But don't let one failed title of theirs lead you off. I got Kamikaze Jeanne Kaitou and Cipher from them and so far both seems really good. I really like Cipher for Nostaglia feel of 80's/90's NYC. Plus I live near there.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
Some of CMX titles are good except one: Tenjo Tenge. They kinda "raped" that one.

Isn't that an ironic sentance XD

Tenjo Tenge was ok, I have the first volume but didn't really like it, edits or no. The thing that bugged me about it, and I don't know of CMX has fixed this, or if it was just a Tenjo Tenge thing, but you practicly had to rip the book open to read some of the text, since the pictures went to the very end of the page. That bugged me to no end.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
I prefer DelRey for my manga. I think they do the best job in terms of keeping the actual flavor and not eradicating the Japanese artwork to put some sound effect word.

Yeah! Another Keroro fan....I love the little guy...especially Giroro.

Vycksta

Tokyopop and Viz Shojo. The majority of my manga collection is Tokyopop and Viz Shojo = Alice 19th, my favourite manga.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Eh, pretty much everything other than Viz SJ. I actually like the SJ titles, but there's no point in getting their manga novels when you have the chapters they contain in the magazine, and at a much bigger size at that. And since you specified the manga novels, not the magazine...

Viz Action has my beloved Detective Conan(er, Case Closed) along with other things, SJ Advanced has a bunch of titles I'd love to read if only I had the money to get into them, and Tokyopop has a few odds and ends I like such as Furuba, .hack//LoTB, and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Isn't that an ironic sentance XD

Tenjo Tenge was ok, I have the first volume but didn't really like it, edits or no. The thing that bugged me about it, and I don't know of CMX has fixed this, or if it was just a Tenjo Tenge thing, but you practicly had to rip the book open to read some of the text, since the pictures went to the very end of the page. That bugged me to no end.

that must be a CMX problem cause in the original japanese ones that I have, that isn't a problem.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Nobody has said Shonen Jump advanced?

Seriously. Buso Renkin, Death Note, Bobobo, D.Grey man. All great titles!

Buso Renkin gets attention just because the manga-ka is the one behind Rurouni Kenshin, and the former is seriously lackluster (not to mention Kenshin had a weak ending). Death Note was absolutely amazing for a manga period in its first few volumes, but it went downhill in part two and had an awful ending. Bo^7 just has one volume out and apparently that is all that Viz is going to put out, plus it's not my cup of tea (I like humor, but...). Finally D.Gray-man is solid but it's only being released every three months.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention Claymore, considering that is a very good action series that seems to pick up towards the end of volume three. I would also include Hunter X Hunter, but it suffers from too many issues.

The fawk? They gave us the BR manga, they at least get points. =|

But Keith Griffen f*cked-up Battle Royale is in atroticious adaption, so take away those points. :/

I enjoy some of Tokyopop's material, but most of their stuff I'm just not interested in. Give me more material like Planetes from them anyday, not generic crap.

Dark Horse still beats 'em all out, with Viz's Signature/Editor's Choice line coming in second.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
Buso Renkin gets attention just because the manga-ka is the one behind Rurouni Kenshin, and the former is seriously lackluster (not to mention Kenshin had a weak ending). Death Note was absolutely amazing for a manga period in its first few volumes, but it went downhill in part two and had an awful ending. Bo^7 just has one volume out and apparently that is all that Viz is going to put out, plus it's not my cup of tea (I like humor, but...). Finally D.Gray-man is solid but it's only being released every three months.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention Claymore, considering that is a very good action series that seems to pick up towards the end of volume three. I would also include Hunter X Hunter, but it suffers from too many issues.

Er, why are you bashing my favorite titles?.......It fine if we have our opinions, but can you please voice yours without dissing mine? ^^;

Or maybe that's just how I interpreted it.

Anywho, the preview in SJ aside, I have not read any of Claymore or Hunter X Hunter. Neither of them look that interesting to me, but I want to at least read Claymore a bit (After I'm done with Negima vol.2, of course).

I don't see the problem with Kenshin's ending, really, and BusoRen isn't that bad, and definatly deserved to continue. I agree with you on Death Note, and that any volume after 7 or so should be burned. And Bo^7 isn't great, but definatly isn't bad, and if you enjoy random manga references, you'd probably like it.

And yes, Hunter x Hunter really went downhill during the Chimera Ant arc, but the York Shin and Greed Island arcs make up for it as two of the best Shounen arcs ever.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Er, why are you bashing my favorite titles?.......It fine if we have our opinions, but can you please voice yours without dissing mine? ^^;

I don't see how I was "bashing" anything as I was just stating some points about the series. The worst that I said was that Buso Renkin was lackluster and both Rurouni Kenshin and Death Note had badly done endings.

Or maybe that's just how I interpreted it.

Read just a bit more carefully next time, then.

Anywho, the preview in SJ aside, I have not read any of Claymore or Hunter X Hunter. Neither of them look that interesting to me, but I want to at least read Claymore a bit (After I'm done with Negima vol.2, of course).

Which is a bit funny considering that they're two shounen series that actually get the "action scenes" done right. Claymore goes for outright fights with nothing other than little-to-no dialogue in its battles, and Hunter X Hunter actually has a sense of logic to it that so many other shounen series utterly lack.

I don't see the problem with Kenshin's ending, really,

The final few volumes just became way too clichéd for my tastes, and any sense of potential "danger" that the series had vanished after a certain scene, if you know what I'm referring to. The flashback was incredible (and by incredible I mean even for a manga), but it just eventually became flat. Hell, even Watsuki admits to being restricted and not doing what he truly would've wanted to do.

and BusoRen isn't that bad, and definatly deserved to continue.

It's solid from what little I've checked out, but it's lacking in so many things that I wouldn't give it an solid recommendation to anyone.

I agree with you on Death Note, and that any volume after 7 or so should be burned.

"Justice will prevail!"

Oh Lawd, I was so disappointed with how Part 2, particuarly the ending, was handled. If it had ended during the middle of volume seven, that would've been an absolute perfect ending. We would've finally gotten a shounen series that doesn't conform to the "Shounen Trap" (copyright David "HellKorn" Goodwin 2006) and leaves with very memorable final chapters... but no, we get a bullsh*t ending at the end with...

Light dying because Obata had to make his and Near's plans to be absolutely idiotic and out of character, especially the former. Chapter one hundred seven was sort of fitting and got me to like Ryuk's character again, but that still didn't save it from how how moronic it was.

And Bo^7 isn't great, but definatly isn't bad, and if you enjoy random manga references, you'd probably like it.

Like I said, it just isn't my cup of tea.

And yes, Hunter x Hunter really went downhill during the Chimera Ant arc, but the York Shin and Greed Island arcs make up for it as two of the best Shounen arcs ever.

The Greed Island arc would've been good had we not gotten so many damn lengthy and tedious explanations so often, not to mention the elements of card being rather boring and uninspired. I will agree to the York Shin arc to being brilliantly done -- it was there that I realized why so many fans who don't stoop down to mainstream shounen series proclaim Hunter X Hunter to be one of the greatest shounen series out there. It's a shame that it couldn't have stayed at that level.

So, in review, the Shonen Jump Advanced line is worth looking into, though only for a few sparse titles.

Yes, Part 2 was mehtastic. I mean, when you've seen fan-made manga pages that offer up a better ending to the series than the actual ending, you know there's something wrong.

And yes, the Greed arc has a ton of explanations in it, but then again, so does HxH in general, and one of the reasons that I like it is that it actually has explanation to the things going on within it, a reason why Nen is one of my favorite systems of power in manga.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Right now I'll go with Shonen Jump Advanced/Shonen Jump. Since I read that more. I'll eventually get into things like Hellsing and Trigun. Since I still don't have enough cash for anymore manga series at the moment. I'd rather read it in it's physical form since it seems translators seem to have done a good job on them. Tokyo pop also intrests me since it has Getbackers. It's a good series but I've only read up to volume 10.
As for HXH people usually hated each arc such as Greed Island and York Shin then loved it once they saw there finale. I'll wait till it finishes to judge it. If it ever does. Damn Cliffhanger. =/
This is just me being intrested on what kind of an ability the Chairman has. It has to be amazing for him to have such a position.

Last edited:
Right now I'll go with Shonen Jump Advanced/Shonen Jump. Since I read that more. I'll eventually get into things like Hellsing and Trigun. Since I still don't have enough cash for anymore manga series at the moment. I'd rather read it in it's physical form since it seems translators seem to have done a good job on them. Tokyo pop also intrests me since it has Getbackers. It's a good series but I've only read up to volume 10.
As for HXH people usually hated each arc such as Greed Island and York Shin then loved it once they saw there finale. I'll wait till it finishes to judge it. If it ever does. Damn Cliffhanger. =/
How could you hate York Shin?

I didn't This was way back then. Course I didn't get into hxh till like they were at the Chimera Arc. I heard people hated it back then.

It was alright in the beginning, then got good at the Hunter Exam, got awesome at York Shin, stayed awesome during Greed Island, and then plummeted during the Chimera Ant arc when Togashi forgot how to draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.