• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which DS is best suited for Pokemon?

The best DS system for Pokemon?

• Normal DS

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • DS Lite

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • DSi (counts for normal DSi and DSi XL)

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • 3DS (coming out soon)

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbx

Lowely Pawn
The orginal DS has the capability to play GBC games so that immedaitly makes it the best for a pokemon gamer. But it does come with a huge downside which is no blacklit screen. For that reason the DS lite is preferred.

Any other options are not good because they can't play GBA games and only offer better quality which isn't that improtant.

7 tyranitars

DSi is my favorite since I don't have a DSiXL

BCVM22

The orginal DS has the capability to play GBC games

No it didn't.

Any other options are not good because they can't play GBA games and only offer better quality which isn't that improtant.

That's far too narrow a view. There's almost nothing that the DSi doesn't do better than the Lite, and the only thing the former is lacking relative to the latter is the GBA slot; by any objective metric, the DSi is the more advanced and more capable system. My sense is that most of what the DSi can do is stuff that Nintendo would have added to either the original DS or the Lite if technology at the time and the resulting per-unit cost hadn't proved prohibitive as a result.

The punchline to that is that we happen to be posting on a board dedicated to the franchise in which one finds the majority of the small handful of DS titles that utilize the GBA slot, skewing the opinions considerably.

Kirbx

Lowely Pawn
I know someone personally that plays his GBC games on his orginal DS.

BCVM22

No you don't. Or he's using unofficial and/or ill-gotten means in doing so. The DS can't play any previous format besides Game Boy Advance titles. There's no debate here.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I know someone personally that plays his GBC games on his orginal DS.
I have Blue Silver and Crystal. I own a DSlite and DS "phat". It doesn't play GBC carts. Therefore it doesn't play GBC games, legally.

I've tried plugging a GBC cart in.. It doesn't Lock in like it does in the GBA or the N64 Tranfer Pak. GBC Cart Falls out as soon as you turn it over.

No you don't. Or he's using unofficial and/or ill-gotten means in doing so. The DS can't play any previous format besides Game Boy Advance titles. There's no debate here.
I heard that is a Rom Program that mimics the Missing GBC hardware, and is said to work on the DS and DSlite. However this is hacking and unofficial hardware..

Sorry, I accedently brushed against the keyboard..

I'm still rocking the original DS. I never had a compelling reason to upgrade it until about 9 months ago the battery started going, and now it doesn't hold a charge very long. But by the time I started seriously considering a replacement, the 3DS was announced, so I've been holding off until it's released to get a new one.

When it comes to GBA games, I prefer the original over the Lite just because it doesn't look stupid with the game sticking out :p. But honestly, I rarely migrate anything any more. I've already sent over pretty much everything worthwhile. The only time I migrate anything is when I cloned something on Emerald.

When I first migrated, I wanted to clone like one pokemon only. And I don't know why but on my GBA I kept swapping and swapping places with Pokemon. My Groudon and Rayquaza were touched, unfortunately, and therefore removed from the game :(. So be careful, even though you are taking good care with your legends, cloning dosen't work succesfully all the time.

I cloned my Sceptile in Emerald and it worked in great success. My Sceptile, on Soul Silver, is now lv. 85. There is still a clone that was at Lv. 77 when migrated, and I keep that incase anything erase-wise happens.

FireMeowth

Enthusiast
Definitely the DSi XL, because of the larger screens. They're just the right size for Pokémon games - to me it even seems that they were made to be played on screens of that size.
(Besides, it's easier playing Ranger on the XL - more space to draw circles~ x3)

That's basically the reason why I'll keep playing Pokémon games on the XL even after buying the 3DS, I guess (unless said games have 3DS-exclusive content, but there are no games like that so far, so whatever).

Torpoleon

I think the DS Lite is best for Pokémon. While the DSi, DSi XL (and more than likely the 3DS) are awesome, the DS Lite has the most battery life out of all the DS Systems, I believe. It also has a GBA Slot for migrating. The Phat does too, although I'm pretty sure the Lite has the most battery life.

Pokemon Trainer Blue

Smell ya later!
DS Lite. Pal Parking would be a pain on the DSi/3ds as you would NEED a DS/Lite anyway. And the Lite is much more comfortable than the phat.

shadowdorothy

I use the DS phat for transfers. I have all the DS's. And I use them all to play the games. But when it comes to transferring I use the phat.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I have one of each DS, excluding the DSi XL since there's no point to me getting one, and I find the Lite to be the best. the DSi is nice and all, but the Lite is a lot more comfortable to hold. I also prefer the D-Pad and buttons on the Lite.

I think the Lite is best suited for every DS game.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
That's far too narrow a view. There's almost nothing that the DSi doesn't do better than the Lite, and the only thing the former is lacking relative to the latter is the GBA slot; by any objective metric, the DSi is the more advanced and more capable system. My sense is that most of what the DSi can do is stuff that Nintendo would have added to either the original DS or the Lite if technology at the time and the resulting per-unit cost hadn't proved prohibitive as a result.

The punchline to that is that we happen to be posting on a board dedicated to the franchise in which one finds the majority of the small handful of DS titles that utilize the GBA slot, skewing the opinions considerably.
That is far too narrow a view as well, IMO. More technilogically advanced does not always automatically make it better in every way. The fact that this forum deals with games that utilize the GBA slot does not "skew" the result.. It just gives a fair, valid reason for the older model being better. Besides, isn't this an opinion thread, anyway?

Sorry, I don't mean to start an argument... Just stating my opinion. I guess if the advanced features of the DSi outweigh the feature that it lost from the DS Lite (backwards compatability), then sure, more advanced is better. But as a blanket statement, then no, more advanced =/= always better

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
That is far too narrow a view as well, IMO. More technilogically advanced does not always automatically make it better in every way. The fact that this forum deals with games that utilize the GBA slot does not "skew" the result.. It just gives a fair, valid reason for the older model being better. Besides, isn't this an opinion thread, anyway?

No, his view is not narrow at all. He's taking in to account everything the DSi improved over the DS Lite. Rather than looking at one thing that was removed, which is the narrow view.

BCVM22

I guess if the advanced features of the DSi outweigh the feature that it lost from the DS Lite (backwards compatability), then sure, more advanced is better.

Which is precisely the case. Compared to the Lite, the DSi has more processing power, better audio output, larger screens, better and more compatible Wi-Fi capabilities, two cameras, internal flash memory and an SD card slot, allowing for downloadable software and media playback/storage. The Lite doesn't have the last three of those in any capacity, for that matter.

I'm not hating on the Lite, I have one myself, and in the interest of full disclosure, I don't own a DSi, though that owes just as much to the fact that my Lite purchase predated the DSi by about a year and a half as it does anything else. I am saying that the DSi can do everything the Lite can do but better and then some, except for playing games from a discontinued and years-old medium. And yes, the fact that we're posting on a board dedicated to the one series of DS titles that consistently uses that feature does in fact skew the opinions considerably. I'm not painting this as a negative, but it is the truth of the matter, is it not?

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Ds lite. I'm a broke college student just trying to play pokemon games. And I have emerald. The only thing that will make
me upgrade is when they make a 3ds pokemon game

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Well, BCVM22, since the question is "which is better suited for Pokemon," I don't think the Pal Park function "skews" the opinion. It is, after all, a fairly major factor for those who still have Pokemon from the GBA games they wish to migrate over, possibly enough to outweigh the DSi enhancements.

For example, if you found a shiny Sableye in Sapphire and want to be able to use it in HeartGold, a DSi can't help you much, so the DS/Lite would be "better" in that situation. It depends on what you want to use it for. If you don't plan on migrating, the DSi's enhancements outweigh the rest, but depending on how valuable that shiny Sableye from the Gen III games is to you . . .

I'm also not trying to start an argument, but I'm pointing out why someone would disagree with you.

BCVM22

Ahhh'm just saying. The GBA slot is the sole advantage the Lite has over the DSi, and the 4th generation of Pokémon almost completely on its own kept the DS Lite relevant and in production despite the advent of the DSi and XL.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
As I have both the original DS and the DSi, (thanks to a communication problem) and my sister has a DS Lite, I can say I prefer playing on the DSi over the others, except for when I want to transfer something from the GBA games, which I still play from time to time.

Overall I agree that the DSi enhancements outweigh what was lost, but in some cases having the older model is "better" for the current situation. Like I said, it depends on what you want to use it for and I can see why people might prefer the older models.

Status
Not open for further replies.