• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which dudes designed which Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Combover

Well, I don't really have a direct source, but in an interview, Ken Sugimori said that he designed both Durant and Heatmor. He also mentioned that the same woman who designed Pikachu also designed Minccino.

Colt45

Cobalt
Great thread idea. Does anyone know the name of the man that designed Electivire? Was it the Hsilnbvaiodub Yohnjnjnasdl fellow that desgined Magmortar?

Rakansen

ラルフ
In an interview, Sugimori said that he designed Bulbasaur.

UnovaCastaway

Didn't Sugimori design Mandibuzz? I thought I read that James Turner made Vullaby as a one-shot and then Sugimori decided to make her the female version of Rufflet/ Braviary. Don't remember where, though.

Colt45

Cobalt
I don't understand why they made Mandy all female (aside from creating a filler Breaviary counterepart), I mean, what's feminine about eating rotting corpses?

Colt45

Cobalt
No one ever said females had to be feminine.

No, but to make an entire female-exclusive species off such a non-feminine concept is a little bit of a stretch don't you think? :p

But anyway, this is getting off topic, if you wanna continue this discussion, please either PM or VM me.

I was also wondering if anyone knew Sceptile's artist? That man/woman deserves an award :D

Last edited:

Colt45

Cobalt
Didn't Sugimori design Mandibuzz? I thought I read that James Turner made Vullaby as a one-shot and then Sugimori decided to make her the female version of Rufflet/ Braviary. Don't remember where, though.

Actually, James Turner made both, according to the link that's now in the OP

Rex Kamex

Really glad for this thread since this was something I've been wondering too. I was hoping to see if there were any patterns with at least a significant amount of the Pokemon each person made.

Although... "Sugimori art" is literally Sugimori art, right? It is always him that draws the final versions of those designs, like with Macho Pichu's current Pichu avatar and Colt45's current Cobalion avatar, right? (I'm asking because I once heard he has assistants drawing some of those images, but I think the images being talked about back then ended up being confirmed to have been drawn by someone else anyway.)

Mr. Combover

Although... "Sugimori art" is literally Sugimori art, right? It is always him that draws the final versions of those designs, like with Macho Pichu's current Pichu avatar and Colt45's current Cobalion avatar, right? (I'm asking because I once heard he has assistants drawing some of those images, but I think the images being talked about back then ended up being confirmed to have been drawn by someone else anyway.)

Yes, Ken Sugimori draws all the official Pokemon artwork, though for Black/White/Black2/White2, he didn't draw the Gym Leaders and Elite Four Members. They were instead drawn by Yusuke Ohmura. That might be what you were thinking.

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerKaden

Sweet, that's my 4th favorite, did he design Squirtle as well?

I think he designed all of the starters from each region, didn't he?

Rex Kamex

I'm especially keeping a real close eye on which Pokemon Atsuko Nishida was involved with in the later gens considering how many she was involved with in Gen I.

Yes, Ken Sugimori draws all the official Pokemon artwork, though for Black/White/Black2/White2, he didn't draw the Gym Leaders and Elite Four Members. They were instead drawn by Yusuke Ohmura. That might be what you were thinking.

Thank you for this answer (and I'm sorry I waited this long to respond). Actually, I thought Ohmura drew Lyra and the four Rocket leaders, but I could be wrong. In any case, Ohmura was the person I had in mind for the different artist.

So Sugimori draws all those standard official Pokemon images, yet lots of people were involved in designing them. So this disproves the thing I've heard of Sugimori drawing/coming up with the first 251 and then after that other people did his thing. I don't believe there's a really extreme design style change between Gens I/II and II, although I've been hearing, more or less, that there was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.