• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which dudes designed which Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Did sugi design the metagross line?

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
James Turner is my idol.

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
James Turner is my idol.

He did the Vanillite line and is also British. My adoration and jealousy for an English person designing pokemon for a japanese company knows no bounds. I'm actually unsure what designers designed what throughout the gens besides Sugi and Turner (Gen V only). It's quite an interesting read.

Rex Kamex

Trying to keep this thread alive...

I hope it's possible that an answer can be found for every Pokemon, but the more the merrier, in any case.

Thank you for this list, still!

I'm gonna speculate that Atsuko Nishida did Pichu, Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, and Emolga (since she did Pikachu and Raichu). Not to mention Azurill, Marill, and Azumarill. Buuuuuuuuut we shall see. (Hopefully.) And since she did Eevee and the other Eeveelutions, I hope she did Sylveon too. (As if it really matters. =P)

randomspot555

Especially later on in Pokemon's history with a larger cast of people working, it is probably hard to say who designed what. Maybe one person came up with the inital sketch, but then the team collectively added their own contributions to the design in some fashion or another.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
Just wondering, who designed Salamence? I can't find him in the list.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
From that list given by OP, Ken Sugimori really didn't design a lot of Pokemon. Though, I had expected such result, because he is the main Pokemon Artwork Supervisor, not a designer.

Please note, DESIGN a Pokemon is not the same as DRAWING THE SPRITE of a Pokemon. I do have to say I like the artwork style of the Pokemon after his edition, but that does not mean I like the design origin of certain Pokemon. Especially nowadays character designs of many fictional franchises just "scout" the design manuscripts through design contest, it is not surprising that many Pokemon (especially the ones after Gen 4) were possibly originated from a real 3-year-old kid on the other side of earth that not even Game Freak nor Nintendo had met in person.

The Head Honchkrow

He did the Vanillite line and is also British. My adoration and jealousy for an English person designing pokemon for a japanese company knows no bounds. I'm actually unsure what designers designed what throughout the gens besides Sugi and Turner (Gen V only). It's quite an interesting read.

Yeah, I like his designs too and tip my hat off to him for fighting the good fight for jolly ol' England!
He also designed the Golett line, which are probably my favourites amongst his designs.

~The Head Honchkrow~

Kim62

Hello
Really glad for this thread since this was something I've been wondering too. I was hoping to see if there were any patterns with at least a significant amount of the Pokemon each person made.

Although... "Sugimori art" is literally Sugimori art, right? It is always him that draws the final versions of those designs, like with Macho Pichu's current Pichu avatar and Colt45's current Cobalion avatar, right? (I'm asking because I once heard he has assistants drawing some of those images, but I think the images being talked about back then ended up being confirmed to have been drawn by someone else anyway.)
I doubt it because of some the Pokemon artwork is pretty badly drawn. I hope he's not drawing it because it'd be pretty bad if he forgot how to draw animals properly.

worldwaker

Elebug disaproves
this shigeki morimoto guy deserves an award,he designed a staple of team rocket,the second cutest pokemon ever(sorry mew,skitty's got you beat.)and most importantly...shuckle!

Yamask

Super Barbie
I didn't know they had foreigners (James Turner, Lee HyunJung) making Pokémon. new dream job
Also, I like how each of the Unova starters have different designers.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Can someone please tell me who designed Snivy and its evolutions? Thanks in advance. :)

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
You know, looking at the list given made me notice how many different artists there are now, while early gens were designed by only a few people. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but I do think it causes a bit of inconsistency of designs.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
If you read the first post, you could have checked it yourself. Reiko Tanoue designed the Snivy line.

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying! I did a quick look over the list, but didn't see the Snivy line on it... it must've slipped my eye lol! XD But thank you for your answer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.