• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Eighth Gym Leader...

Strongest Final Gym Leader

• Giovanni

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Clair

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Blue

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • Wallace

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Juan

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Volkner

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
...do you think is the strongest?

Just something I've been wondering for some time now. Each region has 8 Gyms, but there is never any comparison that they give between the regions.

I think this topic has been mentioned before, but that was for the Champions.

We have /notes

Giovanni (Viridian Gym in R/G/B/Y/FR/LG) /Boss of Team Rocket. Specialty was Ground type.

Clair (Blackthorn Gym in G/S/C/HG/SS) /Lance's cousin, making her the only Gym Leader so far to be blood relatives to a Champion of the same generation. Coincidentally, both specialize in the Dragon Type.

Blue (Viridan Gym in G/S/C/HG/SS) /Probably the second/best rival of any generation, was Champion three years earlier, first and only rival to earn Champion status though got defeated by Red. Serves as Giovanni's replacement, seeing as how he disappeared after Red thwarted Team Rocket's plans.

Wallace (Sootopolis Gym in R/S) /Specialty is Water type. Top apprentice of Juan.

Juan (Sootopolis Gym in E) /Takes leadership of this Gym after Wallace, his top apprentice, has earned the status as the Champion of Hoenn, replacing Steven, making this the second generation that one type has been covered twice. First two occasions were both in Generation 2, where Fuchsia Gym Leader Janine and her father Koga of the Elite Four both specializing in Poison type, and Clair of Blackthorn Gym and Lance, Champion of Johto, both Dragon type.

Volkner (Sunyshore Gym in D/P/PL) /Probably best friend of Flint. Only final Gym Leader thus far who has been given a major team change, along with most other Gym Leaders/Elite Four members of the same generation. He specializes in Electric Pokemon.

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
I don't know...Blue or Clair. Definitely not Wallace and Juan. No matter how much I like Water-types, they're just...bleh... Giovanni is the big boss and all but his Pokemon weren't strong...same with Volkner.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I went for Clair! She's awesome, I call her the Dragon Queen. If Red in HG/SS has Ash's team from the Orange Islands saga (if you consider the Kanto starters all fully evolved to still count), then what would Blue have to make him look tougher? Gary's Silver Conference team?

CaseyGirl

Dont stand in my way
I have to definately say Clair for this. :D

First of all, there isnt a dragon gym leader in every generation and plus, she is the only 8th gym leader thus far that is a girl, so shes pretty different from the rest. I always loved the dragon type as well, considering that one of my favorite pokemon, Dragonair, is a dragon-type.

Clair also seems to put in her own little personality with her character which makes her a very interesting character. Overall, she is a very unique gym leader, and therefore my favorite :)

blueorangecar1

Running on N2O
Clair , She always destroyed me because of all the pokemon in my team ._. . Other Gym leaders were really easy IMO Since my team had the advantage.Plus I found it annoying with all her dragonair's >.<

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I have to definately say Clair for this. :D

First of all, there isnt a dragon gym leader in every generation and plus, she is the only 8th gym leader thus far that is a girl, so shes pretty different from the rest. I always loved the dragon type as well, considering that one of my favorite pokemon, Dragonair, is a dragon-type.

Clair also seems to put in her own little personality with her character which makes her a very interesting character. Overall, she is a very unique gym leader, and therefore my favorite :)

huh, just realised she's the only female eighth Gym Leader.

Anyway, regardless of that, she's still the best, I'd like to see her battle Cynthia. Garchomp vs Dragonite...

CaseyGirl

Dont stand in my way
huh, just realised she's the only female eighth Gym Leader.

Anyway, regardless of that, she's still the best, I'd like to see her battle Cynthia. Garchomp vs Dragonite...

lmao that would be the most epic battle in the history of pokemon!! :D Cynthia, the most amazing champion yet VS. Claire the most amazing gym leader yet xD haha tat would be awesomeee

Oh and for the record, Cynthia has awesome battle music ;)

MrAwesome

<Insert brain here>
Clair.

The brute force of Dragon Pokemon can easily squash any Gym Leader. That is why Lance is champ.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
lmao that would be the most epic battle in the history of pokemon!! :D Cynthia, the most amazing champion yet VS. Claire the most amazing gym leader yet xD haha tat would be awesomeee

Oh and for the record, Cynthia has awesome battle music ;)

Cynthia has the advantage though, being in Gen 4 where there's close to/over 500 Pokemon, as Clair only had the Dratini family and Kingra

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
Dragonite v Garchomp? I thought Clair's ace Pokemon is Kingdra.

MrAwesome

<Insert brain here>
Clair has a Gyrados, 2 Dragonair's, and a Kingdra. Her Kingdra is her ace.

Unfortunately, the only leader/champ with a Dragonite is Lance. That makes me wonder why she doesn't level her Dragonairs...

Fumbles16

Balance is Key!
Hmm I would say Clair if you're pitting her against the other leaders, and Blue if you are facing him with a balanced team. Blue has a more realistic "trainer's team" and Clair has a team of the best type around. The other leaders don't really have teams that can take out a Dragon team. Giovanni is ground type which sorta fails against Dragons considering most have wings (even though Clair's don't always). Blue might be able to, but since he doesn't have a dragon he can't do a lot against Kingdra. The two Water gyms are useless against her. Volkner might be able to do a little against her....Not enough to beat her though. Also Clair is the only leader I ever had trouble with (excluding Volkner on my first Diamond playthrough because I forgot to grab a Gible).

ijea4444

I voted for Clair just because before you battle her she says that she is in the same level as the E4. If it wasn't for that I probably would have voted for Blue because he becomes Gym Leader AFTER being Champion meaning he is in champion level.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
Clair, she's boss. Only female gym leader, who's kind of hot, though now seems to act like a dumb blond...

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
^ a lot of female Gym leaders are hot. I like! we have hotties such as Jasmine, Clair, Sabrina, Misty (her Gen 4 look), Erika, Roxanne, Candice, Flannery, Gardenia, lol and Cynthia's surely the hottest Champion/Elite Four member

The answer is clearly Blue. He is the only gym leader who has a team not dedicated to one particular type. A diverse team means he can't simply be wiped out by one or two good Pokemon with a type advantage.

Clair is second strongest, though. And Kingdra is one of my favorites.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
While you're right about the diversity, Blue's team is too under-leveled compared to yours to pose much of a threat. Then again, I based my choice on just a favouritism to Dragon types, so... ^_^;

Profesco

gone gently
All this picking Clair is preposterous! Of the choices, she has historically the lowest-leveled team, not to mention the smallest number of team Pokemon, not to mention she re-uses multiples of the same Pokemon. She is completely outshadowed by her cousin Lance, who uses the same type as she. Kingdra may be a tough Pokemon and the Dragon type may be a special/rare/favorite type, but Clair is by far a poor choice for this poll. She is clearly at the bottom of the ladder here.

Blue is the strongest of the eighths. Not just because, numerically speaking, his levels are the highest. Not just because he doesn't conform to a single type, thus avoiding massive weakness-sharing. Not just because his Pokemon are all fully-evolved and at least half of them are, competitively speaking, some of the more reliable and favored Pokemon in the metagame. He was the Champion of the Pokemon League before he became Gym Leader, and only defeated by the most reknowned Trainer in Pokemon history, a character who remains the strongest in-game opponent to date.

If you want a second opinion, take Wallace. Like Blue, he rose to level of Pokemon League Champion, but he also had Contest mastership under his belt. If he had stronger Pokemon (in terms of level of competitive viability), he might very well be the best answer.

And if you really need a third opinion, look to Giovanni. Decently leveled, evolved Pokemon, and the ringleader of a huge criminal organization. Without power, he couldn't have achieved that status.

But really, Clair? If this were a "favorite" poll, I'd have closed it. >_>;