• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Gen. 6 starter will be chosen? *Possible Spoilers*

Which starter will be chosen?

• Total voters

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I say we wait till we see thier evo's and potential type combos they or thier evo's could have (since sure we know thier grass, water and fire, but they could be dual typed by the time they hit thier final forms and we don't know yet ) before jumping the gun.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
yeah your right, that's what the anime needs to send as a message.

The starters suck so badly Ash isn't using any of them. Instead he's choosing the "cooler" Pokémon who aren't starters.

Yeah I don't see that happening with Ash being the FACE of the anime.

The Torchic line and Piplup didn't suck just because Ash didn't get them. Piplup got more focus and screentime then either Squirtle or Totodile that belonged to Ash. Torchic was much better handled then Ash's Cyndaquil in Johto. To this day I think May's Blaziken is still a better Pokemon then his Quilava, not because of the species, but because of the focus on May's team it got. So I don't get where you're getting this "If Ash doesn't have a starter it sucks" thing from. If it's done right anyone can promote a starter on the anime, not just Ash. Ash might be the face of the anime, but he's not the only one marketing the generations of the series.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Knowing the writers they might have him get all three again. I rather he get the fire fox because I definetly see it being the fiesty female of his group. Lord please, don't get the grass and aweful frog looking one!

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'm only referring to the one you're deciding needs to go with a recurring character and only relegated to said recurring character, which we'll see even less than Ash's Unova starters we see now.

Chimchar got a fair amount of screen time under Paul.
Ash didn't own a Piplup, but that line was thoroughly showcased.
May's Torchic got a decent amount of screen time for a non-walking Pokemon.

Overall I think the only lines that were absolutely lacking in appearances were Totodile's. It seems like we've seen enough of the others not to miss them.

You seem to be under the impression that a Starter absolutely must go to Ash to have any significant amount of screentime. As history has shown us that's simply not the case. That works both ways, too. Even if Ash catches a particular Starter it's no promise that they'll amount to anything, let alone get screen time.

dman_dustin

Chimchar got a fair amount of screen time under Paul.
Ash didn't own a Piplup, but that line was thoroughly showcased.
May's Torchic got a decent amount of screen time for a non-walking Pokemon.

Overall I think the only lines that were absolutely lacking in appearances were Totodile's. It seems like we've seen enough of the others not to miss them.

You seem to be under the impression that a Starter absolutely must go to Ash to have any significant amount of screentime. As history has shown us that's simply not the case. That works both ways, too. Even if Ash catches a particular Starter it's no promise that they'll amount to anything, let alone get screen time.

Recurring Character- A character who shows up every once in awhile in the anime.

Main Character- A character who shows up in nearly every episode of particular series.

Iris and Cilan do not qualify as recurring characters.

And you did not so much as imply that when you said one would go to Ash's travelling companion and the other to Ash's travelling companion, both being main characters of the series.

I disagree with travelling companions for their own reason.

But again for the purposes of THIS argument, we're talking about the final starter being relegated into a recurring character. Someone like Paul, Barry, Conway, Trip, Bianca, etc, etc.

That starter no matter what you believe will be screwed over in some fashion more so than if it was on the main cast (Ash or his travelling companions).

The writers would never do that, just like the writers would never decide to not give Ash a starter for pretty much the same reason.

Ash is supposed to represent the player of the games the most. It doesn't make sense for Ash not to have a starter BECAUSE you are forced to choose a starter in the games, what YOU do after it is your business, but Ash is going to get one starter.

The reason why Ash sometimes gets a lot of starters is because while Ash represents the player character, it would be wrong to set one starter over the other. Now that obviously happens later on, but after everything settles in.

For example, in Hoenn, when I chose Ruby, I chose Blaziken, probably because of Harrison's, and it was the most focused starter, and it looked really cool (even if I had the most stupid reason to dislike 3rd gen when I found out about it).

Then comes the anime (when I was able to watch it again), and what did Ash have, he had Treecko.

I never really focused on the Treecko line, until I saw Ash's Treecko/Grovyle, it clearly was better than the Blaziken line. There were other reasons why I liked Sceptile over Blaziken, Better design, and just much more badass.

So it was initial hype that caused me to choose Blaziken, but it was focusing on Sceptile through Ash's Treecko/Grovyle, and other reasons, that I really began to like it. May's Torchic/Combusken was treated well, but not in the same way as Ash.

For someone who likes Pokémon for it's battles, primarily, it's clear why I prefer Sceptile over Blaziken. Blaziken may be a fighter, but Ash's "Grovyle/Sceptile" is BEAST in comparison.

That's primarily why I disagree with anyone other than Ash having all starters. Because one of the starters just gets screwed over, EVEN if Ash has them, they still get screwed over.

But at least Ash actually uses his Pokémon moreso than any of the other characters. Took May forever before she used Torchic (like evolution), and while Piplup was "overused" it's not changing my opinion on Prinplup/Empoleon.

And no matter how screwed over Torterra was, I still think it's cool that Ash got a freaking giant land mass Tortoise, which is his current biggest starter Pokémon, and probably equal in size to his Snorlax (if not slightly smaller than Snorlax).

I just think I have higher opinions of starters if they go to Ash. Which is why I dislike other people having them, and only them.

PokeMaster366

What a huge surprise. Chespin, Froakie, and the all 3 option are tied for 1st in the poll. Why the lack of love for Fennekin? Just wondering.

dman_dustin

What a huge surprise. Chespin, Froakie, and the all 3 option are tied for 1st in the poll. Why the lack of love for Fennekin? Just wondering.

Because they apparently don't want Ash with an atypical Pokémon.

And those same people complain, that Ash remains stale, by having the same type of Pokémon, and yet are perfectly Okay with Ash getting a Chespin.

*sigh*

PokeMaster366

And those same people complain, that Ash remains stale, by having the same type of Pokémon, and yet are perfectly Okay with Ash getting a Chespin.

*sigh*

People are going complain regardless of what starter(s) the lazy writers give Ash.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

*sigh*

How is Fennekin typical? It is the cutest and most coolest looking pokemon in the bunch. I'm tired of Ash getting one of the worse or all of the starters while the girl or someone else gets the cooler one that ialways seem to like.

dman_dustin

How is Fennekin typical? It is the cutest and most coolest looking pokemon in the bunch. I'm tired of Ash getting one of the worse or all of the starters while the girl or someone else gets the cooler one that ialways seem to like.

I said atypical as in irregular, abnormal, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of people don't want Ash with a Fennekin but they choose Chespin (a very typical Pokémon, grass starter, semi resembles Oshawott) and or Froakie (aka NOT Fennekin nor Chespin).

Giving Ash Fennekin over the other starters would be more unique. Since Ash doesn't have a fox like Pokémon.

But he has a "rodent" Pokémon and he has a frog/toad Pokémon.

I still want Ash with all three. I just prefer Fennekin, and Froakie.

But if I was forced to choose one, I'd want a female Fennekin.

I mean I like the idea of Ash and Froakie, BUT not if it means sacrificing Fennekin.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I said atypical as in irregular, abnormal, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of people don't want Ash with a Fennekin but they choose Chespin (a very typical Pokémon, grass starter, semi resembles Oshawott) and or Froakie (aka NOT Fennekin nor Chespin).

Giving Ash Fennekin over the other starters would be more unique. Since Ash doesn't have a fox like Pokémon.

But he has a "rodent" Pokémon and he has a frog/toad Pokémon.

I still want Ash with all three. I just prefer Fennekin, and Froakie.

But if I was forced to choose one, I'd want a female Fennekin.

I mean I like the idea of Ash and Froakie, BUT not if it means sacrificing Fennekin.

Ash getting all three would mean some that would get shafted again verses some others. And I don't want to see that again.

dman_dustin

Ash getting all three would mean some that would get shafted again verses some others. And I don't want to see that again.

And there's no guarantee that if they are split up, that they're going to be treated equally or fairly.

Like Brock's Mudkip/Marshtomp.

Edit: At least if they are with Ash, they are guaranteed to get battles.

2nd Edit: Besides none of the 6th gen starters look superior to the other one.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
And there's no guarantee that if they are split up, that they're going to be treated equally or fairly.

Like Brock's Mudkip/Marshtomp.

Edit: At least if they are with Ash, they are guaranteed to get battles.

2nd Edit: Besides none of the 6th gen starters look superior to the other one.

I'm talking about Ash here, not just the pokemon in general.

In Kanto, all three were pretty much treated fairly as far as battles goes. Charizard is still being made the king over all of them even now due to evolution. So just like Infernape and Pignite, the other starters, reserves and other pokemon are pretty much out the door in equal development. Knowing the writers, they might not have but only one pokemon evolve in his group again, making his team unbalanced and unbearable to watch. This is why all three would be a bad idea again. But it's all about advertisement, so it doesn't matter what I think anyway.

PokeMaster366

You also don't want to see another picnic scene starring Pikachu, the three starters, and the baby Pokemon while all the other Pokemon outside of the Pokemon that the companion keeps out all the time stay in their Poke Balls.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I just think I have higher opinions of starters if they go to Ash. Which is why I dislike other people having them, and only them.

You know, that's all you really had to say. If you have a bias then you have a bias.

I just want the writers to try something different.

Blitz Lucario

I'd hate to say it but I think that for Ash they would most likely give him either Chespin or Froakie. Then they could give the new female character Fennekin.

diakyu

Ash will get Chespin. It just looks like it would fit you know.

Arceusgamer14

My guess would be Froaxie for Ash
I think Fennekin will be the Female Trainer's
and Chespin for the new character or another female traveler if the anime cast is more than 3 or 4!