• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Gen 8 starter are you most excited to choose!

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
There is something to be said about a Pokemon's facial expression that can be summed up entirely as disgust. Sobble has disgust written all over him. I can't wait to judge absolutely everything with hin.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So I've updated Sobble's description in this thread. He's undoubtedly a Chameleon. Not only does he has the body features but he can turn invisible as portrayed by the trailer. Why did I updated it? An invisible water chameleon does sound far more interesting than simply a timid water-type lizard now does it?

If you missed it, here's the invisible Sobble.
HWs3Orj.png

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
I'm going to choose Scorbunny in Sword and Grookey in Shield.

shoz999

If I had to rank which starters I liked best. It would have to be...

1. Scorbunny
2. Sobble
3. Grookey.

On a different note, the evolution I'm most curious of is Grookey's final evolved form. It looks like it will evolve straight into a gorilla to be honest but the thing is this isn't the first time an evolution seemed kind of "obvious" but surprised us anyway. It reminds me of Turtwig, how everyone thought it would just evolve into a bigger four-legged turtle but weren't expecting Torterra to look like an Ankylosaurus with a Tree on it's back. It's one of those evolution that just seems too obvious but you can't really fully make it out.

Last edited:

Kdude146

For me it was love at first sight when I saw Scorbunny I love fire types and in mostly every Pokemon game the fire type starter is my first choice every time. I really hope that Scorbunny becomes fire/fairy or stays fire.

As for the other two Grookey is my second favouite I could see it becoming a grass/dark type and as for Sobble it is my least favouite and I could see it becoming either water/poison or water/psychic

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I feel like the starters are well-designed. I don't dislike any of them right now. Grookey is cute, and as someone said, a much better Pansage. Scorbunny is sweet and reminds me of a football player (no, not American football. I'm an American, but I call soccer by its proper name), those legs are meant for kicking. Sobble is adorable and I am heavily leaning towards it despite picking Fire the most often (I have picked every Fire starter at least once for a playthrough; Water is a very close second as the only one I haven't picked before is Squirtle).

And this kids is why we should appreciate Delphox a bit more.
Yeah, at least Delphox isn't Fire/Fighting. I feel like I'm the only person who actually likes the Fennekin line.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
The fact that Sobble dissolves itself in water perfectly matches with Acid Armor, a Poison-type move. Would be extremely cool to have Water/Poison in its later stages, despite I just peaked in reaching.

I feel like regardless of all their potential latest forms and types, I'll go with the most feminine one as usual lol.

DSDark

Breeder
disappointed they went with scorbunny rather then bunfire. Hopefully an evolved form will use bunfire.

shoz999

The fact that Sobble dissolves itself in water perfectly matches with Acid Armor, a Poison-type move. Would be extremely cool to have Water/Poison in its later stages, despite I just peaked in reaching.

I feel like regardless of all their potential latest forms and types, I'll go with the most feminine one as usual lol.
That's a good eye there! I never considered acid armor. It reminds me of Vaporeon actually.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I plan to go with Sobble my first playthrough of Sword, followed by Grookey in Shield, and finally Scorbunny in my second playthrough of Sword. At the same time, I don't dislike any of them.

I'm definitely curious where they go with their evolutions, but ultimately I don't think that they'll change how I feel about them.

byconcept

Sobble is really cute. Here's hoping it has cool evolutions. Scorbunny doesn't even look like a pokemon to me. It seems like something out of an American cartoon.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I’m currently undecided on who I’m going for. At the moment I’m leaning towards Scorbunny but I’ll wait to see what their evolutions are like before I choose, similar to what I did with the Alola starters. Overall though I’m not as excited as I thought I would be with them. They just don’t appeal to me as much as past starters do.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I’m currently undecided on who I’m going for. At the moment I’m leaning towards Scorbunny but I’ll wait to see what their evolutions are like before I choose, similar to what I did with the Alola starters. Overall though I’m not as excited as I thought I would be with them. They just don’t appeal to me as much as past starters do.
That's where I'm at now too. Leaning towards the water starter. Even their names aren't that memorable.

Rizki

Or maybe.. They final evolution type's are about the type highest average of all type in fully evolve? grass/fairy (highest average on s.def), fire/steel (highest average on Def), water/dragon (highest average on hp).
Hard to choose with Grookey & skorbunny for me..

Dragon Pulse

They're cute, but I find them a little plain(?), I'd have to let them grow on me. However, it's ironic because I've been wishing for a water lizard starter for ages, but I'm a little underwhelmed on Sobble. Hopefully he'll grow on me as well. Currently I like Scorbunny the most, but I'm seriously hoping he won't be another Fighting starter. I sorta want it to end up as Fire/Fairy (I seriously doubt it though). Grookey is okay, nothing eye-catching to me though.

Also I've noticed that no one has suggested Electric for Scorbunny's final evolution? I see it as the most likely along with Fighting, or perhaps even Ground. For Grookey, I was thinking Rock or Dark (its apparently "mischievous"). For Sobble, Psychic or Ghost would be probable (or Poison I suppose), mostly as I've taken into account the fact that it has the ability to turn invisible. Maybe even Dragon, but I don't know if we'll ever see that for a starter (unless it is a Mega Evolution, hence Mega Sceptile and Mega Charizard X).

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I bloody love Scorbunny, and it's rare for me to favor a Fire starter.

I've only favored a Fire starter once before, and that was Torchic. Even then, I still prefer Mudkip. Scorbunny could be my first true Fire starter!

I hope:
- Fire/Electric
- Water/Poison
- Grass/Rock

I'm hoping for:

- Fire/Electric
- Water/Flying
- Grass/Ground

shoz999

I wonder what the stats will be for the final evolutions. I feel like Scorbunny might literally be the fastest fire-type Pokemon ever. A HUGE problem with fire-types is that so many of them lack excellent speed. Not good speed, excellent speed. Scorbunny looks fast so I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard for Scorbunny to really stand-out from other fire-type Pokemon with it's speed alone.