1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Which Gen 8 starter will you choose?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Aug 5, 2019.

?

Which Gen 8 starter will you choose?

1. Grookey (Grass)

40 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Scorbunny (Fire)

67 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Sobble (Water)

70 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. Grimuald

Grimuald Spiduwaaagoon

It's hard for me so much. I like those 3 starters a lot more than last gen. I don't think I'll roll with a scorbunny as there's only place for one fire startet in my heart (Cyndaquil <3). Grookey and Sobble it is for me... But as I'm coming back to the pokemon games, I'll try to go for the type of my 1st starter I've picked so many years ago. As a child I picked Squirtle, now as a Man I'll Sob..ble :D

NovaBrunswick and Sakuyamon like this.
  2. Fire Blade

Fire Blade Member

Easy for me. I always choose the Fire starter on first play through.

3. TwoThirds

TwoThirds What's occurin?

I'm still torn, but 99% sure I'm gonna go for Scorbunny, but still might swerve last minute and go for Grookey. Was definitely going for Sobble before I seen the final evo which kinda put me off.

NovaBrunswick and Sakuyamon like this.
  4. Sakuyamon

Sakuyamon Active Member

Now that I've seen the evos of all the new starters, I am confident that I'll pick Grookey since I like how its final evo looks compared to the others.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  5. Det. Viper

Det. Viper That’s Detective Viper to you

Charmander, Totodile, Treecko, Chimchar, Snivy, Fenneken, Litten. So far I have picked the fire starter 4 out of 7 times, grass starter 2 out of 7 and the water starter once. So out of my first starters of each generation I really gravitate towards the fire type while I leave the water types all washed up. I think this generation based solely on what is released (and also through the spoilers I’ve seen) that I will once again pick the fire starter and go with Scorbunny.

6. xayshade

xayshade Active Member

Scorbunny first play through, and grookey the second

RedBlastoise likes this.
  7. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Definitely still team Sobble. I like the final evo, it's the weird color changes of the middle evo that I have a problem with smh.

8. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Sobble is still at the lead folks, crawling it's way to victory as the top starter with Scorbunny trailing behind leaving tracks of fire and with what I believe is an Aipom painted to be Grookey trailing at third place. Yes! Your heard me folks! I'm pretty sure that's an Aipom! Who will win folks!? WHO! OH AND THE JAPANESE AND THEIR LIZARDON DYNAMAX THEIR WAY PAST SOBBLE TO 1ST PLACE! HOLY ARCEUS! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING FOLKS! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING AT ALL! OH WHAT AN AMAZING COMPETITION!

2 days till Sword & Shield. Yup.

9. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

With Scorbunny and its evos having:

an ability equivalent to Protean

I wouldn’t be surprised if that helped them move to 1st.

NovaBrunswick, wolf jani and shoz999 like this.
  10. Pikasaur

Pikasaur Putting up a Fight

Scorbunny was my first choice as soon as they were revealed.

Grookey is 2nd place since i'm getting both games.

Sobble will be a 3rd playthrough or 3rd Game

11. Gonna pick Sobble for my first Sword playthrough. All three starter lines look great though. However I do think I'll reset for a female one since I think its final evo kinda fits a female a bit more. Not as feminine as Primarina though but still.

Not too sure which one I'll pick for my Shield playthrough. I'm kinda leaning more towards Scorbunny for that one, but I haven't seen all the new pokemon yet so there's a fair chance it'll switch to Grookey after I'll decide the rest of my team for that playthrough for balancing reasons.

12. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

Definitely the bunny, no question.

13. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

[​IMG]

NovaBrunswick and Ophie like this.
  14. Flowing Ice

Flowing Ice Active Member

I'm on Team Scorbunny all the way!

NovaBrunswick and wolf jani like this.
  15. Genos

Genos SONIC MOVIE

Grookey Gang!

16. Vahnstad

Vahnstad Active Member

Voted for Scorbunny. The water pokemon seems ugly, and the grass pokemon doesn't interest me at all. But overall i think these are the least fun starters out of all pokemon games. Might even for the first time dump a starter.

17. Kataphrut

Kataphrut Well-Known Member

It was a hard choice between Grookey and Sobble, but in the end I went for sad boi.

This is a pretty good lineup of starters. I only didn't care for Scorbunny, but the scene of them frolicking at the start did a lot to make them appealing.

Sakuyamon and NovaBrunswick like this.
  18. OshyHikari

OshyHikari c l a r i t y

I ultimately decided to skip this generation and retire from Pokemon games in general (though I may still latch onto GO since I haven't touched it much) after due to budget issues (low income, can't afford a Switch and the NSO/Pokemon HOME subscriptions) and my personal disdain towards Game Freak that I developed thanks to the Dexit controversy. Sobble started off as my fave of the three (I often get drawn to the Water-types) but Inteleon is so creepy, its movepool sucks and looks like it has anorexia, which turned me off from the line. Cinderace only reminds me of scarily inappropriate furry bait, leaving Rillaboom as the only final evolution I liked the look of. That meant that had I played this generation, I would have picked Grookey, and I don't pick the Grass-type very often.

19. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

Is it just me or are sword and shield anyone else’s least favourite starters?? I think they tried to hard with the last stages and fell incredibly short. I do like intelleon but even then I don’t think they did a great job with it as it just feels unfinished or like they couldn’t decide what to do and ended up with another greninja because people liked it. cinderace is just a mess in itself, definitely looks unfinished and it’s like they just put the special ability on on it because they couldn’t think of anything else or just wanted it to be OP for no good reasons unless you stretch it. Grass monkey is just ridiculous I don’t even know what to say about it. It says enough for itself.

Sakuyamon likes this.
  20. Weavy

Weavy They call me the one who loves cats.

I always pick the Fire starter in the first game of the generation in my main game, so I picked Scorbunny. As soon as I got him to Cinderace, he became a monster, pretty much destroying everything he touches. Cinderace is not my favourite Fire starter, but I like him a lot.

I've gotta give a shoutout to the Sobble line though. When I first saw it's evolutions, I wasn't a fan, but the more I saw of it, the more I love it and I personally now think Inteleon is one of the coolest looking Pokemon this generation (I seem to be one of the only people who thinks so, though...).

The Grookey line is my least favourite of the 3, but I don't hate it, they're actually pretty cool. Rillaboom just looks so chill and I like that.

Honestly think this is a solid set of starters in my opinion. But I will fully admit I'm very disappointed they're all monotype.

wolf jani and RedBlastoise like this.