• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Gen 8 starter will you choose?

Which Gen 8 starter will you choose?

• Grookey (Grass)

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • Scorbunny (Fire)

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Sobble (Water)

Votes: 70 39.3%

• Total voters

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I have only once chosen the fire type starter (Gen 5 Emboar), but I am leaning towards Scorbunny right now.

But of course it depends on the final evolutions.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I think that's what a lot of people thought when they first saw Grookey, that it was like if Donkey Kong was a Pokémon. XD

The funny thing is is the 'Chimp Pokemon' which is an ape. And gorrila's are apes too.... But not only does it have monkey as part of it's name, but it also has a tail, something that monkeys have not apes.

And to add to the oddity of that whole thing, Chimchar is also a 'Chimp Pokemon' and has chimp in it's name and lacks a tale, so ape, but it evolves into Monferno (monkey and gas tail so that fits) but then Infernape, so ape, but has tail.... So monkey not ape.

Lol is funny is all.

But yeah I'm torn for Grookey I'd love a crazy baboon or spider-monkey like Evo line. But also like to see us get a proper gorilla too ....

Orphalesion

Fair enough. Partially to each there own. But also cause much as I love owls, much as I love Grass types, and much as I loved Rowlet/Dartrix, Decidueye did kinda leave me not as happy.

It feels a lil less owl than I wanted it to be.

Same here I love Owls, I love Grass type. I freaking LOVE Rowlet....and then Gamefreak bitterly disappointed me with Decidueye... If it hadn't been for Primarina I would have been very unhappy about the starters in Gen 7 (I do like Inceneroar, but it would not have been enough to help me about my disappointment)
Though to be fair, Rowlet is such cute perfection that almost any evolution would have disappointed me, unless they had made the evolution even cuter and roudner. Maybe a "My Neighbour Totoro" type design? Yeah I think that would have been the only acceptable evolution for me.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Same here I love Owls, I love Grass type. I freaking LOVE Rowlet....and then Gamefreak bitterly disappointed me with Decidueye... If it hadn't been for Primarina I would have been very unhappy about the starters in Gen 7 (I do like Inceneroar, but it would not have been enough to help me about my disappointment)
Though to be fair, Rowlet is such cute perfection that almost any evolution would have disappointed me, unless they had made the evolution even cuter and roudner. Maybe a "My Neighbour Totoro" type design? Yeah I think that would have been the only acceptable evolution for me.

I like the Evo lines of gen7 for the most part.

Popplio flows the best in my mind. It feels like you can see how from stage to stage it starts in one place and gradually becomes Primarina.

Litten flows as well... A little less, but I can kinda see it. And even if it feels like Torracat suddenly stood up to evolve, it at least feels like Torracat stood up.

Rowlet though.... It's like the first two stages, perfect. Baby owl into moody teenage owl. But that middle stage to final.... Just doesn't flow well. Like I can see how it works. But it takes some time. And then it doesn't help that Decidueye looks more bird if prey aka hawk/falcon than owl. It made me sad. Specially since I love the rest of the line. And on paper the notion of a Grass/Ghost archer/sniper final stage sounds fantastic, random hood and hood string/wingbow and all. I just wish, it looked more like an owl tk me.

.....also it's wings are awkward .....prob intentionally.

Lemonski

Judging by the unevolved forms, I'd say Scorbunny. Though I feel like I'll take the final forms into consideration too once they're published! Lizard-like creatures, especially dragons and such, are generally cool too so I have a feeling that Sobble's final form might also as well appeal to me (though I can't say for sure yet).

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Judging by the unevolved forms, I'd say Scorbunny. Though I feel like I'll take the final forms into consideration too once they're published! Lizard-like creatures, especially dragons and such, are generally cool too so I have a feeling that Sobble's final form might also as well appeal to me (though I can't say for sure yet).

Valid point...... And that somehow makes me want a more goofy lizard final stage instead...... Not inspire but just to see them do something different.

Like instead of a Greninja crossed with a chameleon, let's get a Seismitoad crossed with a chameleon.

MewsTruck

I'm stuck between the 3. I really enjoy then surprisingly, I haven't enjoyed a trio set since 4th gen.... I've liked a few here and there but not a whole set.

Anyways I tend to not use starters cause I'm weird.. I know... I usually box them till later game or something but I like to use my own pokemon I catch, makes me feel better.

If I had to vote though I would pick grookey???

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Sadly I will be skipping this generation due to budget issues (Switch costs like $400 where I am) and Game Freak's constant corner-cutting, audience-disrespecting BS. But if I did have to choose, I would have gone for Sobble as I tend to go for the Water-types. Grookey would have been my second fave, mostly because I like monkeys. Scorbunny is my least fave here because I dread it'll become the unwanted fourth Fire/Fighting starter.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Sobble seems to be winning by a long shot!

That pretty common.

The question is does that mean it'll be in the anime and never evolve, or will they let it evolve. Either way I'm sure they plan to capitalize on the popularity in some way.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
That pretty common.

The question is does that mean it'll be in the anime and never evolve, or will they let it evolve. Either way I'm sure they plan to capitalize on the popularity in some way.

Maybe Sobble’s final evolution will become the new Greninja.

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
I love all the Starters this gen, and it was a hard pick between them, especially Scorbunny and Sobble.

I love how energetic and athletic Scorbunny is, if I could still walk without being in agony and was actually choosing a Starter IRL, I’d probably look for a partner like that.

Sobble is so anxious and timid though, I just wanna protect it!

Grookey being mischievous and curious would have fit me perfectly, too, but the coloring is kind of hard on my eyes (the saturation contrast is a bit painful) unfortunately.

I’m very likely choosing Sobble, though tbh I’m still struggling not to choose Scorbunny or Grookey lol

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Originally wanted Scorbunny, now I'm not sure. Sobble and Grookey are tempting, I especially like how Grookey stretches it's arms, it's stretched skin looking similar to that of a cat.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm not deciding until I know for certain what they're final forms are, since starters are in for the long haul