• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Gen 8 starter will you choose?

Which Gen 8 starter will you choose?

• Grookey (Grass)

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • Scorbunny (Fire)

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Sobble (Water)

Votes: 70 39.3%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm not deciding until I know for certain what they're final forms are, since starters are in for the long haul

I’m still going with Scorbunny, regardless of what its evolutions will be.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Grookey is my favourite in terms of design, but I haven't made a solid decision about which one I'll use yet. There are still a lot of variables to consider, like what other Grass/Fire/Water Pokemon are available in the Galar region and at what points in the story, or what types the Gyms and Elite Four will be.
I'll most likely use Grookey if there are no better options for a Grass-type (having skimmed through Serebii's Galar Pokedex, the Grass line-up doesn't look too impressive). Growlithe/Arcanine is confirmed to be in Galar, so depending on how early or late in the game Growlithe appears and how easy it is to get hold of a Fire Stone, I may just use Arcanine as my Fire-type instead of Scorbunny. For Water, I like the designs of Dreadnaw and Cramorant, plus my three favourite Water-types (Gyarados, Lapras and Lanturn) are confirmed, so it's looking unlikey I'll pick Sobble unless the final evolution really wins me over.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Grookey is my favourite in terms of design, but I haven't made a solid decision about which one I'll use yet. There are still a lot of variables to consider, like what other Grass/Fire/Water Pokemon are available in the Galar region and at what points in the story, or what types the Gyms and Elite Four will be.
I'll most likely use Grookey if there are no better options for a Grass-type (having skimmed through Serebii's Galar Pokedex, the Grass line-up doesn't look too impressive). Growlithe/Arcanine is confirmed to be in Galar, so depending on how early or late in the game Growlithe appears and how easy it is to get hold of a Fire Stone, I may just use Arcanine as my Fire-type instead of Scorbunny. For Water, I like the designs of Dreadnaw and Cramorant, plus my three favourite Water-types (Gyarados, Lapras and Lanturn) are confirmed, so it's looking unlikey I'll pick Sobble unless the final evolution really wins me over.

Growlithe was available as early as the second gym in B2/W2, and it was findable quite close to Violet City in Gold and HeartGold, so it could be an early contender in Sword/Shield as well. Cramorant? I haven’t heard or seen that one.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Probably Grookey, although I'm warming up to Scorbunny too because it might become Fire/Fighting when it evolves and I like that type combination. Sobble is the worst one out of the three so I have no plans to use that... whatever it's meant to be.

Sobble is a newt/chameleon.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

Brendan017

Lot of people decide like this but I dont really think its necessary, the games became so easy that you can beat it with any team.
Like in LGE I used a Lickitung and an unevolved alola Vulpix.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I’m still going with Scorbunny, regardless of what its evolutions will be.

Same, I’d be happy with whatever it evolves into. I’m okay with seeing its first stage evolution before release, but I want to try and wait to see its final evolution for myself while playing. It’s something I hadn’t done since Pearl, and I kind of miss that sort of anticipation.

Probably Grookey, although I'm warming up to Scorbunny too because it might become Fire/Fighting when it evolves and I like that type combination. Sobble is the worst one out of the three so I have no plans to use that... whatever it's meant to be.

We’re probably a couple of the very few fans who wouldn’t mind seeing Scorbunny evolve into a Fire/Fighting type. Don’t know why Game Freak likes to make Fire starters into fighters (including Incineroar), but eh, I think it’s fine.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
It’s hands-down going to be Scorbunny. I don’t care what it evolves into & I’ve been avoiding the leaks as much as possible, but the minute I saw it on the February trailer I knew I wanted it on my team.

Not only is it full of personality & charisma, but it completes my trio of mammalian starters with Oshawott & Chespin!!

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
We’re probably a couple of the very few fans who wouldn’t mind seeing Scorbunny evolve into a Fire/Fighting type. Don’t know why Game Freak likes to make Fire starters into fighters (including Incineroar), but eh, I think it’s fine.

Incineroar kind of broke the Fire/Fighting stereotype with its secondary Dark typing. It’s because it’s based on a heel, a wrestler who is often portrayed as villainous and a dirty trickster.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Incineroar kind of broke the Fire/Fighting stereotype with its secondary Dark typing. It’s because it’s based on a heel, a wrestler who is often portrayed as villainous and a dirty trickster.
Well, Delphox kind of broke the trend first by being a Fire/Psychic type based on a wizard

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend

Yeah, but I meant that Incineroar can technically still be considered a fighter because it’s based on a wrestler.

Brendan017

I was thinking about the possible final evolutions of the starter.

Scorbunny: Most people are sick of fighter looking fire starters but I think it could end up looking very cool. (The characters design on the dex riddle looks cool too.)

Grookey: Looks like he will end up as a bulky gorilla and I dont like bulky starter designs. The only one I kinda liked was Chesnaught.

Sobble: I can't really imagine how will they make him look like a spy but the only way I think they could make him cool would make him look too much like Greninja.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
My tradition of choosing the water starter is firmly solidified at this point. I've always chosen water first over everything else, and this won't be any different. Sobble will be my first choice, but since I'll be having both versions, and my brother is getting one, I intend to have all three from the beginning this time around.

Eternalfalcon

Unova champion
I think I'm leaning towards sobble especially if it ends up being a spy like I think it was the Chinese riddler or the Affleck leak said, but my choice might change if they announce the starters final evolutions.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think I'm leaning towards sobble especially if it ends up being a spy like I think it was the Chinese riddler or the Affleck leak said, but my choice might change if they announce the starters final evolutions.

Affleck? As in Ben Affleck, Batman himself? :eek:

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
It's called Affleck leak because the leak had an image of Ben Affleck on it for some reason.
It’s a reaction image. The leaker stated they were upset and that’s why they were leaking info, the image was likely added as a means to convey how they felt.

Anyway, we shouldn’t discuss the leak here.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
It’s a reaction image. The leaker stated they were upset and that’s why they were leaking info, the image was likely added as a means to convey how they felt.

Anyway, we shouldn’t discuss the leak here.

What were they upset about?