• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Gen had the worst starters?

Which Gen had the worst starters?

• Total voters

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I voted Gen V because only Serperior is pretty much useful outside of playing through the game, even then with it's Dream World ability mostly. Now I would have put Gen II for the same reason, except they all improved alot in Gen IV for HG/SS.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Gen V, the only one I like is Oshawott.

I respect Oshawott for all the love its earned since being revealed...poor lil guy was absolutely hated at first

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Gen 4. Just dont like it...

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Gen 4. Hate 'm.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I voted Gen V because only Serperior is pretty much useful outside of playing through the game, even then with it's Dream World ability mostly. Now I would have put Gen II for the same reason, except they all improved alot in Gen IV for HG/SS.
What? If anything they were better before the special/physical split (well Typhlosion was anyway). Anyway gen 5 starters were/are the worst. Emboar grew on me though.

Last edited:

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I voted Gen IV. Aesthetically, they've never screamed "Awesomesauce" to me. In terms of competitive use, they're great - don't get me wrong. I just didn't want to vote up Gen V because of simplistic problems like stats or move pools. If I'm judging it solely on looks, Gen V probably ties with Gens II and III for the best in my opinion. But if you want my opinion on the worst competitive generation of starters, I can't judge that confidently, as I'm not really that great in that depot. Everything has a niche usage - it all comes down to luck.

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
Gen V for me, Serperior was the only one I remotely liked. I have a general rule when it comes to starters: There will be one I love, one I like, and I won't ever go near. Never found anything wrong with the other gens because they all followed that rule, but with the Unova starters it was more a case of "Which one's not as bad as I think it is?" I really liked the gen IV starters, because it felt like GF had used a lot of creative nous, but the new ones were pretty uninspiring.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Gen II. Chikorita line is a cruel joke to people who picked the Grass starter because of Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil is a statistical rip-off of Charmander without any of the flavor, and Totodile... Totodile's alright, but I've never been overly fond of any of them, either aesthetically or gameplay-wise.

After Gen II, I'd say Gen V.

Seriously how can you hate the cute starters? :(

By disliking them.

I gotta say Gen V. None of them are that viable for late/post-game.

They are, actually. Serperior drags until it picks up Coil, at which point it starts soloing teams because it's so easy to set up on it. Emboar gets the Brick Break TM in time for the Ice Gym, and has access to Flare Blitz in the post-game to destroy most 'mons that don't resist it. Samurott gets one of its best STAB moves mid-game, and has the coverage and bulk to handle a good number of fights.

Last edited: