• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Gen had the worst starters?

Which Gen had the worst starters?

• Total voters

Estellise

peachy
Personally, I don't like the fourth gen's starters. I never found them very appealing.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't understand the hate for the 4th gen starters, I'd actually consider them the best. They're the most diverse in terms of typing, and for the most part, they're all pretty good competitively. Sure, some of them seem like ripoffs, but they're unique enough that it's not much of a problem. Or at least not enough of a problem for them to be rated last.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I don't understand the hate for the 4th gen starters, I'd actually consider them the best. They're the most diverse in terms of typing, and for the most part, they're all pretty good competitively. Sure, some of them seem like ripoffs, but they're unique enough that it's not much of a problem. Or at least not enough of a problem for them to be rated last.

I'm with you, brother. Gen 4 is far-and-away my favorite set of starters. The base versions are all really cute, the fully-evolved versions all look really awesome and powerful,, and they evolved in such a way that they all ended up being strong and effective against each other.

StoneyPikachu

The Highest Trainer
generation 5 by far the worst. oshwotts design is awful i can't believe they released that as a starter, raticate is a better looking pokemon to me.

tepig? another pig pokemon? as a starter? why not just give me a rat pokemon or a bat pokemon or a crap as a starter, or some other bottom feeding creature, dirty creature. game freak is clearly hurting for ideas.

and then serperior ...ok cool...so the final evolved form is ANOTHER pokemon who basically looks like dragonair with a couple extra things added on to it...just like melotic....how many serpant like pokemon can you have. it's getting old again..

typical of any game for their stuff to start going down hill. it's difficult to continue on with something and make it new and interesting. i could see this especially being hard with designing countless imaginary creatures. i'm glad i don't have that job.

gen 1 is by far the bes and every pokemon after is just a spin off or a new version of the old pokemon. while some designs are neat, the first generation is what made all pokemon after that. generation 1 is by far the best and anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Gen 2 for me, I'm not very fond of their designs and I haven't found either of them to be very useful in battles.

7 tyranitars

Gen 4, but I must say I love piplup.

I picked Gen V, even though I like Unova, just because I don't like them quite as much for some reason, and they aren't too good for battle competition.

I love all the other starters a ton, though. Especially Generations I and II and III and IV and...

:p

Turtwig forever!

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

I agree with this.

Though, if we're going to talk about phoning things in, I can't help myself but direct you to statistical comparisons of Charmander vs. Cyndaquil, Charmeleon vs. Quilava, and Charizard vs. Typhlosion.

I understand that the comparison of a single line can be misleading, though, and would also like to show you Bulbasaur vs. Chikorita, Ivysaur vs. Bayleef, and Venusaur vs. Meganium, who share the same curious trait as the Cyndaquil line, except the Defense and Special Attack are swapped.

But, what about the Water-types? In the cases of Squirtle vs. Totodile, Wartortle vs. Croconaw, and Blastoise vs. Feraligatr, once again that curious trait pops up, except HP and Attack are swapped with Special Attack and Special Defense, respectively. The exception is Totodile, who has 64 base Defense vs. 65 base, but that can be chalked down a bad connection, as telephones weren't as reliable in 1998 as they are today.

gen 1 is by far the bes and every pokemon after is just a spin off or a new version of the old pokemon. while some designs are neat, the first generation is what made all pokemon after that. generation 1 is by far the best and anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

cool story bro

tell it again

gamer_legend

Gen II remains the only generation where all starters stayed true to their original typing which is why poor Typhlosion is the only fire starter who can look up and be proud that it is in fact one of a kind as far as starters go.

Lanik

I'd have to say Gen II. The Gen V starters aren't that good in competitive battles either, but I like their designs more.

ebevan91

My faith in humanity has been restored. 0 votes for gen 3 :)

Scaldaver

Limitless
Why exactly is it gen 3 starters are so good? Is it because Fire and Water got secondary types for the first time? Or was it because the detail to each got a step-up? Or is it just nostalgia?

briguin

Dr. Geek
Each gen had two goods and a "meh". The only two exceptions: Three (they are all great), and 5 (Tepig is awful)\
That's why I gave my vote to 5, sadly. White 1 is my favorite game in the series.

Gen 5 because
Gen 1: They were the originals, all three were useful in ways, and people will compare others to them.
Gen 2: Chickorita was a little lame battle wise I agree. Cyndaquil was a great battler and his design was cool. Totodile is my favourite though, a good design and a good pokemon.
Gen 3: Three great pokemon here, though i would say Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile is weakest here due solely to a high sp.atk but limited powerful special moves.
Gen 4: Probably my favourite group after gen 1 (I'm not a genwunner btw) the designs done it for me, you could clearly see what each was supposed to be, they also happen to include my favourite pokemon.
Gen 5: I got pretty excited at the first glance at Tepig and Oshawott, they looked cool, both good pokemon who had more potential (i like Samurott), Emboar could have been better and could have been dark type as well as fire!
Snivy... Its a green cyndaquil with big eyes. Meh. Then someone tells me its a snake!! Serperior could be a hell of alot better!!!! Its frail =(

Sea Swampert

being piratey
Gen II for sure. Love Totodile though but Chikorita sucked, and Cyndaquil....well I'm not sure but he never really did it for me. My faves though have to be Gen III & IV, love the designs (even for Piplup as I'm not a fan of penguins)

TheNewChamp

I don't like the 5th gen starters at all, only oshawott a tiny bit but still. I really like the startes of the other gen's

gliscor&yanmega

I have no issue with any of the starters. For the most part I don't really care about most of them overall(Charmander, Cyndaquill, and Totodile lines are the ones I'm only really a fan of, the rest for the most part I find interesting to some level). I see nothing wrong with any of them.