• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which generation brought the most competitive pokemon

Which gen?

• Generation I

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Generation II

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Generation III

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • Generation V

Votes: 21 25.6%

• Total voters

Aegon

I voted for generation the fourth. It brought so much, most notably Wi-Fi capabilities and the physical/special split. There were also new moves and evolutions to increase the amount of changes.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
4. The Physical/Special split changed battling as we know it.

Remmie

Generation V because the pokemon from this generation have no relation to the previous ones. And they are more challenging too, it takes a long time before getting a Hydreigon, Volcarona, Mandibuzz, Braviary. I don't get the point of having them evolve at such high levels.

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
Generation 4 only because of the split

This.

All generations brought something to the table; Gen 1 started everything, Gen 2 brought us Skarmory and classic walls, blah blah blah.

I voted Gen 4 only for the split.

thejt

Everyday Im Shufflin
Gen 4: Hippowdon, E-vire, Lucario, Magnezone, Azelf. That's just a few.
I bet if you count them, Gen 3 might have more....

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Mechanics-wise, 4th Gen. The physical-special split <33333.

Pokemon-wise, 5th Gen by a mile. Game Freak suddenly decided to go 'LAWL POWER CREEP'.

jolteon135

Online battle simulators. Before Pokemon Online it was Shoddy. Before Shoddy it was Netbattle. I have no idea what was before that, but I know simulators existed as far back as red / blue.

Lol, there was something before netbattle? Netbattle is what got me into competitive battling.

On topic gen 5 has brought the most competitive Pokemon. Many gen 5 Pokemon are ridiculously powerful compared to previous gens and DW abilities make a lot of older gen Pokemon very powerful.
Plus new breeding mechanics & power items makes it easier to get Pokemon with competitive IVs.

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
The 4th gen brough us things like the physpecial spit, new good moves, move tutors, but fifth gen = huge power creep.

Last edited:

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Has to be Gen IV. It gave rise to Physical/Special split, and a whole lotta eh poke became a threat with new evos. Not only that but entry hazards just got real in gen iv

Generation 4:
PorygonZ
Roserade
Electivire
Magmortar
FRICKING GARCHOMP
Magnezone
Tangrowth
Bronzong(although Meta gross is better)
Yanmega
Weavile
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Azelf
Uxie
Mesprit
Heatran
Regigigas
Arceus
Shaymin
Darkrai
INfernape
Empoleon
Luxray

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Generation 4:
PorygonZ
Roserade
Electivire
Magmortar
FRICKING GARCHOMP
Magnezone
Tangrowth
Yanmega
Weavile
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Azelf
Uxie
Mesprit
Heatran
Regigigas
Arceus
Shaymin
Darkrai
INfernape
Empoleon
Luxray

su-weet zombie jesus...

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
Generation 2 brought in some great ones. I had some difficulty deciding between it and Gen IV, with Gen V coming in as a close but distinctly less influential 3rd. Gen IV split moves into special and physical and introduced some great Pokemon, but Gen II introduced the Steel and Dark types, entry hazards, breeding, weather, held items (in addition to trading with held items), and amazing new moves. It brought Suicune, Umbreon, Shuckle, Blissey, Tyranitar, Scizor, Kingdra, Skarmory, Smeargle, Celebi, Crobat, Politoed, Raikou, Espeon, Heracross, Sneasel (which was great even before there was Weavile), and even Steelix, Entei, and Forretress. It was definitely the most influential generation of them all.

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
Generation 4:
PorygonZ
Roserade
Electivire
Magmortar
FRICKING GARCHOMP
Magnezone
Tangrowth
Yanmega
Weavile
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Azelf
Uxie
Mesprit
Heatran
Regigigas
Arceus
Shaymin
Darkrai
INfernape
Empoleon
Luxray

A lot of the listed Pokemon are ubers, and are therefore banned from competitive play. Even including the ubers listed, it didn't introduce as many competitive pomkemon as Generation II.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
If you count individual Pokemon, I'd say Generation 5, but I think Gen 4 brought more to competitive pokemon as a whole.

darthscyther123

Gen 2 gave us Skarmory and Blissey, but more importantly it gave us DARK and STEEL.