• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Generation has the weirdest starters?

Weirdest starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd have to say generation 6.
I can already see the hate messages.

I made a typo, the first Gen. 3 should be Gen. 2

Last edited:

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

In my opinion, I don't think any of them are weird. Other people say gen 5 a lot, but I don't think so. I think it has the best starters. I do notice how people say gen 6 also, I mean the Fennekin line is not as cool as the Tepig line, but it's still awesome. I chose it as my starter for Y. (I always pick the fire starters). Actually I don't think any of the other starter lines are as cool as the Tepig line, but they are still awesome.

By the way, you have gen three twice on the poll, and no gen two.

Last edited:

MDS777

The name's Riley
Are we talking starters and their evolutions or just the starters themselves? Either way, I'd say gen 5 had the weirdest starters.

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
I really don't think any of the starters are weird. Well at least weird by Pokemon standards. I would like a cookie instead of candy though.

P.S. Why is there two options for generation III?

Ditto B1tch

It is Gen 2.

Chikorita is a bad copy of Bulbasaur by also having the growth of a flower in the body. It is a cliche that works.

Cyndaquil is green, he is not orange/yellow/red as a fire type is usually colored. It gets some red and yellow only when its back is on fire

Totodile was not a surprise by being based on the second most obvious water animal.

But the Cyndaquil-Chikorita-Totodile trio is a nice trio, when they're together I think they combine very well though Cyndaquil being mostly green

I really don't think any of the starters are weird. Well at least weird by Pokemon standards. I would like a cookie instead of candy though.

P.S. Why is there two options for generation III?
I guess the first "Generation 3" option was mispelled, it should be "Generation 2", as you can see, Gen 2 is missing in the poll, then I considered it Gen 2!

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
"Weirdest?"

I guess I'd say Gen IV for this one. I dunno, something about their color schemes seems a little... off. A little unnatural, even for Pokemon.

Hasty

Moonside
I voted for Gen I. I find them kinda weird because of their too similar looks. Same smile, same smooth bald head. Their arms and legs aren't that much different either. But mainly it is their shared spherical head that looks so weird to me. Maybe Bulbasaur stands out a little (quadruped, more different eyes, ear/horn-like feature).

The only other spherical-headed starters are Oshawott and Piplup (maybe a reason why they look so similar?) and they are in different Generation's. They look more unique together with their fellow starters in their own Generation... unlike the Kanto starters.

I don't any generations starters are weird in any way.

I'm just here for the candy that the poll promised. :)

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
It's quite obvious gen VI has the weirdest starters and after that gen VII will have the weirdest starters and after that gen VIII and after that etc.... You guys can see where I'm going. Almost everyone complains about the new starters every time they are introduced.

I personally vote gen VI but not because they are the newest but because they ruined two potentially good Pokemon in Chespin and Fennekin with their final evolutions. Froakie is just win all the way. Srsly they ruined great potential evolutions for both Braixen and Quilladin which would have made gen VI have the best designed starters.

I don't see why people say gen II when thay are easily the simplest designed starter Pokemon. And I also don't see why people bash gen V's starters when they are amongst the best designed barring Oshawott and Samurrot, (well not so much Oshawott) but still it looks like a sad clown. I feel like gen VI got worse fire and grass startes and gen IV got a worse water starter design wise.

Last edited:

Kibagos

FairyDragon Queen~
Voted Gen 4.
I don't like their designs at all. And it looks like they didn't really have an idea when creating them. But that's just my opinion tough.

DedicatedFan

I don't really had a particular gen, but I really don't get mudkip, I mean what is it based on?
I also haven't gotten use to chespins evolutions and if Bulbasuar wasn't from gen 1 i'd probably think it was weird too.
I mean what is it, a plant, a dinosaur or a weird looking frog.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
Generation 4, but they're wierd in a good way XD

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
None of the starters have a weird vibe for me... <.>

I guess Gen II. In specific, Cyndaquil. Once in a while I see a debate of it saying he is a - and it ranges from- Echidna, Mouse, Weasel, or Badger. I still like that little Pokemon though X3
Chikorita looks like a green thumb. I do like its final evo though.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Generation 5, mostly because I despise the concept of Oshawott's evolutions. Emboar and Serperior aren't exaclty my favorite either.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Gen 4's Starters were just really basic in terms of design imo and I didn't like any of them.

Zivinolette

Livin' The Dream
I said generation four. I had a really hard time picking a starter from that generation... I ultimately picked one, got to a part of the game where other Pokemon were available (usually after the first gym) and then ditched whoever I picked and it spent the rest of the journey in my computer box while I utilized other Pokemon. They just didn't look great and I even feel the gen 6 Pokemon look way cooler and are more decent members for a team.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
I said generation four. I had a really hard time picking a starter from that generation... I ultimately picked one, got to a part of the game where other Pokemon were available (usually after the first gym) and then ditched whoever I picked and it spent the rest of the journey in my computer box while I utilized other Pokemon. They just didn't look great and I even feel the gen 6 Pokemon look way cooler and are more decent members for a team.
I did this for generation 4, 5, and 6. I might have used Torterra because of the typing for gen 4, but later playthroughs I didn't touch the starters.

Zaberz

Sabertoothz
I'd have to say that Gen 5 had the weirdest starters.The only one that wasn't weird was Tepig,I mean,it is..a pig,but Tepig's evolutions is weird so yeah...Snivy doesn't make sense and so does Oshawott,I mean what's that thing about?