• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which group chemistry did you enjoy the most?

• Total voters

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

My favorite group chemistries would be between the SM group, the BW group, and the OS group.

With all the main characters in Sun and Moon, characters seem to play off of each other well and the character interactions are pretty entertaining.

I also think that both of the BW and OS groups had entertaining interactions as well.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's a tough decision between the OS trio and the SM group. I feel the OS trio bounced off of each other really well—from Ash and Brock's brotherly friendship, to the golden arguments between Ash and Misty (along with the times they stood up for each other). Their personalities meshed together really well for the most part.

I also like the dynamic(s) between the SM group, especially when the group splits up and we see Ash interacting with his classmates independently. I like the friendly, almost brotherly rivalry between Ash and Kiawe. I like the interactions Ash has with each of the girls, and I like the relationships between the girls themselves (mainly Mallow and Lana and Mallow and Lillie). Again, the characters' personalities mesh together really well for the most part.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I liked how the XY group felt quite family-like, but the lack of interaction between clemont and serena, and ash and bonnie, and not that much bouncing off brings it down a bit for me, so OS

Yukidoh

The original trio remains the best trio, in my eyes.

Though I also really enjoyed BW group's chemistry. Ash and Iris felt like siblings whereas Cilan felt like the weird older brother. Furthermore, they all had some of kind relationship with each other and interacted with one another. I really enjoyed that.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
BW had the most superior group dynamic. It's not just my personal bias of my love of BW xD. I enjoyed how Iris, Ash and Cilan bounced off each other. And the writers did a good job establishing Cilan's and Iris' relationship out of Ash. Their whole nature vs sceince thing was interesting as well. I also enjoyed OS' a lot for almost the same reasons. The only group dyanmic I thought was a tad forgettable or underwhelming was AG and XY.

SinnohEevee

My thoughts on the different gangs:

* Ash, Misty, and Brock: While I am not too fond of Misty, they all had great interactions. They all felt like close friends. Ash and Misty would always bicker like the little kids they were/are, and Brock was an older brother for Ash.

*Ash, Misty, and Tracey: Tracey is pretty forgettable and he was only there because they replaced Brock for a stupid reason. They could have just had Ash and Misty.

*Ash, May, Brock, and Max: Did we need an annoying little sibling? I liked how Ash was a mentor to May, but Brock's role started to fade away.

*Ash, Dawn, and Brock: While the interactions between Ash and Dawn were great, Brock was just there mostly to cook and be some comical relief.

*Ash, Iris, and Cilan: They tried to re-do OS, but it wasn't like it. I am also not too fond of Iris and Cilan and how they were annoying. Plus, Iris felt forced.

*Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie: Did we need another annoying little sibling? Also, Serena and Clemont barely interacted.

*Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Lana, Sophocles, and Mallow: The interactions feel good and real. The big issue is that the cast is too big for the writers to handle property.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I have 2 favourites, obviously being Ash, Dawn and Brock, as well as Ash, Misty, and Brock.

As someone who watched from the beginning, I do admittingly have nostalgia goggles on for the OG gang. But I don't think their chemistry was ever replicated in the series. They felt like a natural fit, and balanced each other nicely. You had Ash being the newbie, whilst both Misty and Brock acted as mentors, equally for him. Ash had good chemistry with both of them, and they both had good chemistry with each other.

But then someone who grew with the series, Ash, Dawn and Brock as a trio hold a special place in my heart. Ash and Dawn were complete equals and their interactions have yet to be matched imo. Whereas in the OG group you had Ash and having two mentors who were equals, the DP group flipped it and had Ash and Dawn being equals and learning from each other, but then having Brock as the mentor and guide for them both. This trio often gets criticised for the interactions of Dawn and Brock, but I feel that they had a good, older brother/younger sister bond, Brock looked out for Brock, and Dawn respected him.

However, one group that I think is massively over-rated is XY. I hate to criticise, but their interactions were poor, I can't recall any occasions were Serena interacted with Clemont, and considering she's meant to be an older sister character to Bonnie, I feel like that was forced, in fact, even her interactions with Ash felt forced, he was only a love interest to him, not a friend in my eyes. I think the XY group actually worked better in the first few episodes when it was Ash, Clemont and Bonnie, in those starting episodes, I saw them as a good solid group. And for the record, I don't hate the character Serena, I just don't think her role in the group was needed.

DatsRight

I'm liking the SM team so far. They have lots of vibrant interactions (especially the three guys) and the downplay of TR interventions and other formulaic situations like the constant travelling means their chemistry drives the plot more often, and they also get to know more of each other's backgrounds. Their friendship feels a lot more proactive.

I also like this is a situation where most of the team have been active before Ash met them. Lillie is the only newbie and even then she is very educated with Pokemon. This makes the whole lot feel like equals and each one of them comes off as having a niche that fills in for the other lot's weaknesses.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
For me it goes:
1) Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie: Surely a very unpopular opinion, but I loved this group. Yeah sure, they might have been a bit light on the banter side, but they made up for it in how close the overall group felt. Ash finally acting as the leader of the group (and still keeping his airheaded tendencies, such as being gullible to science), Bonnie being a surprisingly endearing kid character (coming off Max), Clemont providing the comedy and with his own decent development till his gym (slowed down after that, but got good development again in the Flare arc), and of course my favorite Serena, who started off really shy and unsure, but visibly showed her getting more confident in the group. The scene in XY067 where everyone places their hands on each other was a really great moment for me, and highlighted the family like bond they had.

2) Ash, Misty and Brock: The OG classic, and can't go wrong. The humour and teasing was hilarious, and when needed, there were so many moments between them that highlighted how tight knit they were.

3) Ash, Brock, May and Max: I hate Max, but as a group this was also very good. Ash and May had that student - mentor vibe, and Brock was still great, with Max providing the occasional funny sarcastic remark.

4) Ash, Cilan and Iris: Surprise! Now the less said about this series the better, but as a group, I thought these three were pretty good. Cilan and Iris definitely bounced off each other well, and after Brock really got boring in DP, I especially liked Cilan who felt like a breath of fresh air.

5) Ash, Dawn and Brock: Ash and Dawn probably had some of the best chemistry, but that was it, as Brock unfortunately became so boring and unneeded. Barring preparing food, you'd probably forget he was an active part of the group (other than Croagunk occasionally reminding us), as DP was all about Ash and Dawn.

6) Ash, Misty and Tracey: Luckily Tracey only existed for one season, as he was just bland and unnecessary. Ash and Misty interactions felt lacking too, compared to OS, as the absence of Brock was really felt.

7) Ash and a bunch of school kids: Sorry to say, but I really dislike this group. In all the previous series, no matter how good or bad, the groups felt like they were important for each other and had an impact on them. But in SM, it just feels like a bunch of school kids you meet for a while, and easily forget about once you leave. Everyone's always so happy, other than during the AF arc, where they appeared for the last two episodes without doing anything previously, and Sophocles has the nerve to say that they were the best team.

Last edited:

Ashton Ketchum

XY group.

They filing like real family. As each member of which is ready to help and support each other. Each of them has his own way of moral maturation and knowledge of himself and the world around him/her.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I liked Ash, Misty and Brock the most of course. Second one I liked most was Iris, Cilan and Ash. IDK why.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
For me it goes:
1) Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie: Surely a very unpopular opinion, but I loved this group. Yeah sure, they might have been a bit light on the banter side, but they made up for it in how close the overall group felt. Ash finally acting as the leader of the group (and still keeping his airheaded tendencies, such as being gullible to science), Bonnie being a surprisingly endearing kid character (coming off Max), Clemont providing the comedy and with his own decent development till his gym (slowed down after that, but got good development again in the Flare arc), and of course my favorite Serena, who started off really shy and unsure, but visibly showed her getting more confident in the group. The scene in XY067 where everyone places their hands on each other was a really great moment for me, and highlighted the family like bond they had.

2) Ash, Misty and Brock: The OG classic, and can't go wrong. The humour and teasing was hilarious, and when needed, there were so many moments between them that highlighted how tight knit they were.

3) Ash, Brock, May and Max: I hate Max, but as a group this was also very good. Ash and May had that student - mentor vibe, and Brock was still great, with Max providing the occasional funny sarcastic remark.

4) Ash, Cilan and Iris: Surprise! Now the less said about this series the better, but as a group, I thought these three were pretty good. Cilan and Iris definitely bounced off each other well, and after Brock really got boring in DP, I especially liked Cilan who felt like a breath of fresh air.

5) Ash, Dawn and Brock: Ash and Dawn probably had some of the best chemistry, but that was it, as Brock unfortunately became so boring and unneeded. Barring preparing food, you'd probably forget he was an active part of the group (other than Croagunk occasionally reminding us), as DP was all about Ash and Dawn.

6) Ash, Misty and Tracey: Luckily Tracey only existed for one season, as he was just bland and unnecessary. Ash and Misty interactions felt lacking too, compared to OS, as the absence of Brock was really felt.

7) Ash and a bunch of school kids: Sorry to say, but I really dislike this group. In all the previous series, no matter how good or bad, the groups felt like they were important for each other and had an impact on them. But in SM, it just feels like a bunch of school kids you meet for a while, and easily forget about once you leave. Everyone's always so happy, other than during the AF arc, where they appeared for the last two episodes without doing anything previously, and Sophocles has the nerve to say that they were the best team.
heh, you sound like PRB12

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Probably OS for me. There were a lot of funny moments with one another and none felt like they got left out in about every episode.

Not to say XY’s chemistry was bad (no really, it did have their moments and I’ll take their chemistry over DP’s any day) but it’s hard for me to see them as a family when Ash and Bonnie hardly interacted with one another as well as Clemont and Serena. Even the amount of Ash and Serena’s interactions were still only average at best compared to the number of Ash + Clemont and Serena + Bonnie interactions imo.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Probably OS for me. There were a lot of funny moments with one another and none felt like they got left out in about every episode.

Not to say XY’s chemistry was bad (no really, it did have their moments and I’ll take their chemistry over DP’s any day) but it’s hard for me to see them as a family when Ash and Bonnie hardly interacted with one another as well as Clemont and Serena. Even the amount of Ash and Serena’s interactions were still only average at best compared to the number of Ash + Clemont and Serena + Bonnie interactions imo.

TBH even ash+ clemont and serena+ bonnie interactions dries off in last 50 episodes (XY&Z series). I think best chemistry will be OS trio, all of three members completed each other. Underrated group should be the BW group and I was going to vote for them but mistakenly I voted for DP group due to the new dark background and nw I can't change my vote..

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
DP and AG
XY, Serena and Clemont never interacted without Ash and the same with Ash and Bonnie interacting alone.
BW, Iris was a hypocritical ***** to Ash the whole series. And that's pure facts!
SM, the girls never get to hang out with just the guys not named Ash. And only the boys really have chemistry, it's just not there for the girls.
Tracey was barely around to even count.
OS is nostalgic, but AG and DP win this. May and Max acted like actual siblings, if a sibling in real life acts like Bonnie they have serious problems. While in every one of the groups Brock is in he's like the older brother to all the companions. Ash and Dawn had the closest bond out of all the female characters thus far, and I doubt that'll ever change. May and Ash fought, Max too... but they weren't constantly at each other's ass like Iris is with Ash.

tl;dr
AG = DP > OS > SM > XY > BW

Genaller

Silver Soul
OG trio > XY quartet > AG quartet > BW trio > DP trio > OI trio > SM group

The chemistry between Ash, Misty and Brock pretty much carried the first season of Pokémon (since the battles were horrendous for the most part) and still to this day watching those interactions gets me right in the feels. The XY quartet really gave a close knit family vibe though Serena and Clemont needed more interactions. The AG group had neat dynamics and while Max isn’t much as an individual character, his interactions with the other members worked pretty well sometimes. While I’m not a fan of BW for what it did to Ash, I’ll admit that the group dynamic was pretty good; in particular I liked the science - spirituality dynamic between Cilan and Iris. For the DP group Ash and Dawn had great chemistry though Brock by this point became a third wheel resulting in a significant decrease in overal all group dynamic quality. Brock at his worst though is still better than Tracey. Mallow and Sophocles are practically worthless; Lana is alright though she’s sort of redundant; Kiawe is fairly interesting but hasn’t been utilized to his full potential yet. Honestly a trio of Ash, Lillie and Kiawe would be way better than the 6 way we currently have.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Ash,Brock,and Misty by a landslide,all 3 weren't bland from a character standpoint,their interactions were authentic,and had really good chemistry,the others just don't compare at all.