• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which group chemistry did you enjoy the most?

Which group chemistry did you enjoy the most?

• Total voters

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
For me it goes:
1) Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie: Surely a very unpopular opinion, but I loved this group. Yeah sure, they might have been a bit light on the banter side, but they made up for it in how close the overall group felt. Ash finally acting as the leader of the group (and still keeping his airheaded tendencies, such as being gullible to science), Bonnie being a surprisingly endearing kid character (coming off Max), Clemont providing the comedy and with his own decent development till his gym (slowed down after that, but got good development again in the Flare arc), and of course my favorite Serena, who started off really shy and unsure, but visibly showed her getting more confident in the group. The scene in XY067 where everyone places their hands on each other was a really great moment for me, and highlighted the family like bond they had.

7) Ash and a bunch of school kids: Sorry to say, but I really dislike this group. In all the previous series, no matter how good or bad, the groups felt like they were important for each other and had an impact on them. But in SM, it just feels like a bunch of school kids you meet for a while, and easily forget about once you leave. Everyone's always so happy, other than during the AF arc, where they appeared for the last two episodes without doing anything previously, and Sophocles has the nerve to say that they were the best team.

THIS exactly. I feel the same way. The XY group felt like a family and I really liked it.
The SM's group are just random students who see each other every morning and that's it.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
THIS exactly. I feel the same way. The XY group felt like a family and I really liked it.
The SM's group are just random students who see each other every morning and that's it.
I don't see how the XY group felt like a family when it felt more like they were worshipping someone 'who could do no wrong'. The group chemistry in XY felt forced and Serena and Clemont hardly ever interacted at all.

DatsRight

I dunno I like how SM's standstill format means the characters have to be more proactively invested in helping each other. If they didn't care about each other, now they could just change ways after class and never interact outside of it, but we see many cases where they keep hanging out.

I love seeing all the companions actually go out of their way to join in and help with whatever one of them is doing, it's no longer a convenience. Yeah we had cases in previous series where Ash would help train one of the companions or divert their course so they could do their thing first, but it felt more like passive kindness rather than outright investment, compare to say, Ash following Lillie's whereabouts to bodyguard and support her in the AF arc, or the guys all getting fired up to take part in the Charjabug race, or Mallow wanting to watch over Lillie (and dragging Ash with her for safety precautions XD).

Epicocity

I don't see how the XY group felt like a family when it felt more like they were worshipping someone 'who could do no wrong'. The group chemistry in XY felt forced and Serena and Clemont hardly ever interacted at all.
Maybe because they didn't worship him...? They did scold him from time to time; they just did so quietly. Though I don't understand the idea that every character needs to interact X amount in order for a group dynamic to be good or validated in any sense...

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Maybe because they didn't worship him...? They did scold him from time to time; they just did so quietly. Though I don't understand the idea that every character needs to interact X amount in order for a group dynamic to be good or validated in any sense...
Well for me, I might be spoiled with other 4 members team from other franchises like Ninja Turtles or Left 4 Dead where their interactions to each other were balanced and more dynamic...

But yeah, despite Serena & Clemont not interacting much to each other, I do like them as their own characters which I started to miss them along with Bonnie after around 2 years, and XY(Z) is the only series I watched fully, so...

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Well.... is it chemistry if nobody talked? The whole point of GROUP chemistry is that everyone flows great with each other. The fact of the matter is Serena barely acknowledged Clemont’s existance (especially late XY) and Ash and Bonnie had a few nice moments that slowly faded away. And just in case you think I’m being biased I don’t find SM’s group dynamic that appealing either. To this day it shocks me how Lillie went through almost that entire Aether arc (going through trauma and learning to touch Pokémon and all) and yet the Trial Captians didn’t know what was up until one of the very last few episodes.

Epicocity

Well.... is it chemistry if nobody talked? The whole point of GROUP chemistry is that everyone flows great with each other. The fact of the matter is Serena barely acknowledged Clemont’s existance (especially late XY) and Ash and Bonnie had a few nice moments that slowly faded away. And just in case you think I’m being biased I don’t find SM’s group dynamic that appealing either. To this day it shocks me how Lillie went through almost that entire Aether arc (going through trauma and learning to touch Pokémon and all) and yet the Trial Captians didn’t know what was up until one of the very last few episodes.
I'm just saying talking interactions don't straight up drive chemistry. There are series where certain characters don't talk much specifically to one another but the group dynamic is still strong. I'm not saying one has to consider them family; I'm just making the point that just because they don't talk 1-on-1 it doesn't mean they have no chemistry. Sometimes there's unspoken chemistry, such as their mutual admiration and mutual skill (cooking, in this case). That's all.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I'm just saying talking interactions don't straight up drive chemistry. There are series where certain characters don't talk much specifically to one another but the group dynamic is still strong. I'm not saying one has to consider them family; I'm just making the point that just because they don't talk 1-on-1 it doesn't mean they have no chemistry. Sometimes there's unspoken chemistry, such as their mutual admiration and mutual skill (cooking, in this case). That's all.
I honestly don’t think that a few simple interests bond two people. And I even question if Serena is a good cook (not baking). At least at the beginning of her journey...given how shocked Grace was at her cooking in XYZ45. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree because I’m pretty chemistry is built on some type of interaction. I’ve never heard of two characters who barely talked having chemistry. Do they work well together? Possibly but I don’t see how this group can have chemistry when most of the series their relationship was completed dependent on Ash.

Epicocity

I honestly don’t think that a few simple interests bond two people. And I even question if Serena is a good cook (not baking). At least at the beginning of her journey...given how shocked Grace was at her cooking in XYZ45. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree because I’m pretty chemistry is built on some type of interaction. I’ve never heard of two characters who barely talked having chemistry. Do they work well together? Possibly but I don’t see how this group can have chemistry when most of the series their relationship was completed dependent on Ash.
And that's your opinion, of course. Everyone views chemistry in a different way, that's why I think it's unfair to discount the XY group as a family just because you didn't view them that way. I'm sure there are plenty of real life couples, for example, who don't have many things in common and may just sit silently a lot, but that's what works for them. Or real life groups of friends that have very little in common but one thing, yet it makes them work. It's all subjective, so it's rather disconcerting to see people being mocked for thinking of them as a family (not you, of course, just in general).

But we'll leave it at that before we start roaming in circles on the subject.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
And Mallow and the electric boy (Forgot his name) and Lana and Kaki, Mallow and Kaki etc.. Do they interect each other? Did they chose to be together everyday? They just happened to be in the same class, they didn't choose to be together every day. They don't travel together everyday, sleep together, staying together 24 hours etc.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
And Mallow and the electric boy (Forgot his name) and Lana and Kaki, Mallow and Kaki etc.. Do they interect each other? Did they chose to be together everyday? They just happened to be in the same class, they didn't choose to be together every day. They don't travel together everyday, sleep together, staying together 24 hours etc.
Yes, the SM group does interact with each other; they do choose to hang out together outside of class. So what if they don't travel together, sleep in the same tent, or spend 24/7 in each other's presence? The amount of time spent together does not alone determine group chemistry. That's kind of like saying students from the same class should have great chemistry just because they spend a good portion of each day studying/learning together, even if they never spend any time with each other outside of school.

Ash has spent time alone with each of his classmates, and we have also seen the classmates spending time with each other, especially the girls, who have been shown more than once hanging out together. IMHO, Ash has had some meaningful interactions with his SM classmates, and the fact that he has been able to interact with them alone has helped that. I'm not saying SM has the best group chemistry (I'm not even going to get involved in that debate), but there is good chemistry between the SM group.

I don't think the XY group chemistry was forced at all, but I do think there were some relationships that could have been better developed. I really wanted to see Ash and Bonnie interact more, for instance, especially after XY64. The little tease of Big Brother Ash comforting a worried Bonnie made me want to see more, and I wish the writers had given us more of that and perhaps less of Bonnie walking all over her actual big brother.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
While I don't like how some of the classmates are treated, I kinda like how they're more independent and actually have their own lives, also I've noticed that this is the only time the group had already been formed before ash arrived, so ash is the new guy this time, while the other times the companions joined ash