• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which is a better Hoenn?

Which is a better Hoenn?

• OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Emerald Version

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tm_rckt

I have been thinking about this for a while. And a lot of people will probably hate me. But I think ORAS were unnecessary. In fact, I believe Johto should have been the last region to be remade. Think about it. Everything from Crystal Version was added to HGSS. And yet, nothing from Emerald was added to ORAS. I know we had the Delta Episode, but I feel like that doesn't count. And honestly, I'm not too excited about Sinnoh remakes. I didn't really want them even before they were announced.

I personally feel like FRLG are the definitive Kanto experience, and HGSS are the definitive Johto experience. But I feel like ORAS are the "alternate" Hoenn experience. I feel like Emerald Version was better than ORAS.

With that in mind, which Version of Hoenn do you find to be a better experience? OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire or Emerald?

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Emerald's Hoenn was so much better mostly because of the BF but also the small things like Trainer Hill and real tag battles.

WalesNote

Perhaps this more of an indication of multiple worlds.

So in one world ruby and sapphire would happen, then in another its emerald, then in a third world it's the remakes.

That would make sense. There's no way they could all fit into the same world/timeline.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Omega Ruby has many good things. including being able to use gts to offer a trade for trade evolutions or even find those that evade you like milotic/feebas and other annoying 1% percenters.

But those HM moves i still hate how much they are needed :mad:

Nemo1870

Start your day with a smile!
I prefer Emerald over ORAS, mostly for nostalgic reasons. But what also really bother me with ORAS is, that they didn't use the Emerald teams for the gym leaders. I mean Tate and Liza where a joke in the remakes:rolleyes:.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I like the ORAS remakes, but I agree with many of you. I prefer Emerald for nostalgic reasons. The Battle Frontier was an amazing feature that should have been in the remakes.

WalesNote

The remakes would have been better if they included everything from Emerald. Would have been nice to see Ray-ray fight Groudy and Kyogre rather than just roaring at them. And Jirachi could have been in the game, too.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
What if there are people who for their own reasons like Hoenn in RS better than in Emerald? Maybe something subtle?
Emerald has Battle Frontier It was included in the remakes and bug fixes including berry clock glitch if i'm right. Emerald does have annoying puzzle, Sky Pillar where Rayquaza is not easy to get through during the story. I was never able got up the tower.

GTS or Global Trade System makes version exclusives in the remakes much easier to get. Rayquaza's tower is just a easy part of the Delta Episode but climbing the stairs is slow.

That's also why the remakes are great.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I prefer Emerald's version of Houen given that there was more to do and a few more areas to explore, although OR/AS's version of Houen had much better graphics, especially underwater.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
No they weren't. The trees and many other tile sets in Ruby and Sapphire's Hoenn were different from Emerald's and some of the routes were designed a little differently too.
But the core gameplay was identical.

I do not see the point in playing Ruby and Sapphire because Emerald just does everything better.
This is why i dislike third versions, they improve on the other games so much that it makes it impossible to go back to those older games.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I deeply love ORAS. I think they’re some of the best games in the history of the franchise (or any franchise), with enough content to be extremely fun and a style I love, in a region I love. They’re beautiful, phenomenal games.

I still strongly prefer the region that Emerald lays out. I think that some of the reasons are typical, and then some are a little more personal. While the broad strokes are the same, there are clear key differences that change the experience fundamentally.

First, of course, is the Battle Frontier. It’s something that just seems so integral to the Hoenn experience, and I was devastated as a fan - truly the first time I questioned Game Freak as the developers of this series in a serious way - when it wasn’t in the remakes. I’m replaying Emerald now with the specific intent to spend hundreds of hours beating each facility, because it’s just so perfect. It’s the exact experience I want out of a Pokémon game, and it has all the flavor to make it a blast. The Dome itself is my #1 battle-focused location or battle facility in the history of the franchise. There is nothing in any game in the world quite like the Emerald Battle Frontier.

The second is the graphical style. I spend to many hundreds of hours in RSE that Hoenn as a 16 bit sprite world is just burned into my soul. I love the music, the tile sets, the textures and sprites, in ways I can’t even begin to explain. I think even further that this 16 bit style actually opens the region to more imagination and let’s the player create their own world from the things they see, a world that is fantastical and adventurous and defies the bounds that fully 3D gameplay can sometimes create. To be clear, I do know that this is entirely my own hang-up and some people will think I’m just a little off my rocker. But this graphical style gives locations like the Abandoned Ship, or items as simple as the Starf Berry, some different context and texture than they have now.

When I think of the original Hoenn, after picturing scenes from Emerald in my mind for a second, I actually first think of the in-game description of the Starf Berry - an almost-mythical item (at the time, anyway) that I was captivated by as a kid, even though I of course never obtained one. I first found out about it right here on Serebii’s site on the old RS BerryDex page:

“So strong, it was abandoned at the world's edge. Considered a mirage.”

Twelve short words, and an world’s worth of possibility to me when I was just ages six to nine, in the years RS and E came out. It came to symbolize Hoenn itself for me - a world of wonder. Just what was this “world’s edge” - was it somewhere I could go in the game? Was it a metaphor or an idea? And how could this berry be a mirage, what’s the story behind that? Part of what let my imagination run wild in that way back then was the graphical style; through its own limitations, and in the hands of a company that at the time demonstrated considerable skill with the sprite-based art form, the games I played were well-beyond what they might look like on the surface.

There are also some things beneath the surface that I think contribute to the rosy, nostalgic way I view old Hoenn that - if I’m being fair and honest - shouldn’t give RSE Hoenn any points over its ORAS counterpart, but do anyway for me. One of these things is some unused code in the game that isn’t normally ever encountered. This just happens to be stuff that I developed a deep interest in at the time, and nobody can blame them for not replicating or reviving unused, apparently scrapped code, of all things. But my favorite unused code element, the four additional Towers hinted at in the unused ribbons - Darkness, Red, Blackiron, and Final Towers - are another example of that tantalizing prospect of possibility, that extra bit of “what if?” that Hoenn has so much of already. Maybe that was just the first whisperings of what became the Battle Frontier, but maybe - in the world of possibility that lives in my imagination - there are four more great towers out there, at the edge of the Hoenn region, waiting to offer a legendary challenge to the rare trainer lucky enough to find them.

There are other little nuances here and there that evoke that sense of mysterious wonder that makes Hoenn so unique to me that I feel the remakes lose, or just lose the edge on. There’s the RS Battle Tower, for example, which fascinated me before the Battle Frontier built a thousand stories upon it; just a massive, imposing tower where the strongest trainers in the world come to engage in epic battles. That’s the foundation upon which the above implied Towers that I mentioned were built into something even grander in my mind, at the time.

The rest of the features of the region that draw me to the old Hoenn - and Emerald’s specifically - are minor. I’ll also admit that some aspects of the remakes actually feel even better than the old Hoenn - running across the bridge over the water on Route 120 at night with the stars reflecting back at you, or the beautiful flowers around Wally at Victory Road and the subtle symbolism of the kind of flower chosen. Not all is lost in ORAS Hoenn, not by any stretch of the imagination. Bringing back Steven as the Champion was a great call, too - if there’s literally anything I dislike about Emerald, it’s the Champion situation.

But to wrap up this ramble, to me, all of that is what the sights and sounds of the original Hoenn region in RSE are. That’s what the Battle Frontier represents to me as well, since I now know as an adult that the reward for clearing all seven facilities to Gold Symbol level is a Starf Berry. Hoenn more than any other region and in all its forms represents limitless wonder, to me, and RSE Hoenn just does a little bit better of a job at capturing that feeling.

SwordDude

oras made gen 3 worse. best modern pokemon game but I'll take emerald over oras anyday.

The music is a downgrade, made more easier no battle frontier i don't like the chibi look grapics some area's are nerfed to the ground. Has good online play and dexnav but I'll even play base ruby & sapphire over oras

No they weren't. The trees and many other tile sets in Ruby and Sapphire's Hoenn were different from Emerald's and some of the routes were designed a little differently too.

Slight grapical updates won't be the reason why someone would play ruby & sapphire over emerald

Gym leader rosters where much improved more modes the story is way more fleshed out instead of the unfinished one in ruby & sapphire. I really can't imagine anyone favouring the base games over emerald.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Oof IDK, it's hard to choose. Both have their benefits, Emerald has more traditional and lengthy extra content, plus legitimate battle facilities, whereas ORAS is better on evergreen content with the Mirage Spots. I really wish ORAS would've had the best of both worlds, as a comparison between a remake and a third version shouldn't be this close, the remake should be night and day better than the old version that's been out of print for years, but here we are. I think I'd have to go with ORAS, but it's practically a coin flip to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.