• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which is the best novel/book you've ever read?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would say The Hobbit. I was mostly interested in the plot of an adventure to retrieve gold and with the dragon, Smaug.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
Well, I've read a lot of good books, but my hands-down favorite is The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (I think that's the author). It's more a collection of philosophical essays with a plot than a novel, but it's amazing all the same. The ending actually makes me cry regularly, which barely ever happens.

Some other of my favorite books are: Menagerie by someone I can't remember, basically anything by Cornelia Funke, and the entire Harry Potter series.

MrConfusedTurkey

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all time favorite books, right next to The Jungle Books. Choke/Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk and Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut also stick in my head.

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King
Jurassic Park, The Lost World
Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath
Henry V, Macbeth, Hamlet

We'll see if after this semester The Martian, Stand By Me, and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption make the list.

Jurassic Park
Life of Pi
Eragon

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Wow, this will be a tricky one.

My top 5 would have to be:

1) Sherlock Holmes
2) Animorphs
3) A Series of Unfortunate Events
4) Leviathan Trilogy
5) To Kill a Mockingbird

There are so many short stories and other things that I have read that I just love, but I find myself coming back to the books on this list continually as the years go on. Never ceasing to amaze me.

Sprinter1988

I'd have to say the Lord of the Rings trilogy, in particular books 2, 3 and 5 (yes, for those of you who don't know, each book is actually broken into two separate books, technically making it a trilogy of six.) The parts that I have the best time reading are the second half of The Fellowship of the Ring (from the forming of the Fellowship to its breaking) the first half the Two Towers (which follows Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf and the people of Rohan in their struggles against Saruman) and the first half of Return of the King (which follows the Gandalf and Pippin in Gondor, Aragorn braving the paths of the Dead with the Grey Company, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn and Merry and the marshalling of the forces of Rohan, the subsequent battle of all upon the Pelennor Fields and the riding from Gondor to challenge Sauron at the Black Gate.)

The other three parts are good in their own way, but I feel like the first half of Fellowship of the Ring takes too long to get going and stops too much, while the second half of The Two Towers has a huge amount of focus on Frodo, whom I find a far less engaging character, and the second half of The Return of the King has the main climax of the story, which is good, then another hundred pages of everyone saying goodbye to each other.

I'm also a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, though the first four books are the only ones that I can readily read. I find that so much went so horribly wrong in Order of the Phoenix that I can barely stomach it, while I feel most of the magic was long gone by Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows (and was non-existent by the time Cursed Child came along!)

MisterM

That's what she said
I read a lot of book (really good to pass time during commute) but if I had to chose one? Paul Murray's "Skippy Dies", definitely.
It's a very great read and I got hooked cover to cover.
I was so into it, I even got frustrated at some moments and started to talk to the protagonists in my head:

"No!!! Don't do that!!!"
*turns page*
"Told you."

Last edited:

ChloboShoka

Writer
Other than Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings. I also love Kensuke's Kingdom, The Secret Garden, Vampirates and Lolita.

Need I say more than the Skulduggery Pleasant series? It actually physically made me more confident with myself, while making me laugh, cry, tense up and smile throughout the series. Each character has flaws, but most of them are likeable. And when you're meant to hate a character, you actually hate the character because of the way they've been written. It's a true masterpiece of a series.

Oh yeah.

It's getting ANOTHER F**KING SERIES IN JUNE YESSSS!