• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Johto starter did you choose?

Which Johto starter did you choose?

• Chikorita

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Totodile

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Which starter did you choose for your adventures in Johto? You can include HG/SS too.

I had Totodile in the original Silver and Chikorita in SS. I didn't choose Totodile, however; the game had previously belonged to my cousin, so Chikorita was the first Johto starter I chose myself.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I chose Totodile on Pokémon Silver and Chikorita in Pokémon Heart Gold.

Same as me, except I have the opposite remake version. :D

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Definitely Totodile, but I chose Cyndaquil a few times. I only ever chose Chikorita once just for fun, not really a fan of it.

I also chose Chikorita for fun in SS, though I kind of prefer Totodile more. Never used Cyndaquil, despite me usually being a Fire starter fan.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'd suggest doing a Cyndaquil run at some point. It makes for a more interesting early variety of Pokemon. You can catch Water and Grass pretty early but not really Fire iirc.

You can catch Vulpix (Silver and SS) and Growlithe (Gold and HG) on that route to the west of Violet City, but I don't think you can access that until after the third Gym.

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I've always loved all three of the Johto starters (and their lines), but I'll always pick Totodile. In almost all games, I choose the water-type starter on my first playthrough. And consistently afterwards.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I went with cyndaquil when I was a kid. I can't remember why, except fire=dangerous=cool. Its still not a bad choice, given how few fire types there are early on it Johto. But my favourite is still Totodile, because of how fun Ash's Totodile was in the anime, and because sheer or dragon dance/swords dance is a great competitive option.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I went with cyndaquil when I was a kid. I can't remember why, except fire=dangerous=cool. Its still not a bad choice, given how few fire types there are early on it Johto. But my favourite is still Totodile, because of how fun Ash's Totodile was in the anime, and because sheer or dragon dance/swords dance is a great competitive option.

I usually tend to choose the Fire starter because it's my favourite type, but also because good early Fire-types seem to be few and far between in many regions, with the possible exceptions being Unova, Alola and Galar.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I typically go with Cyndaquil as my starter of choice, mainly because it's fast and I think Typhlosion looks pretty cool. Fire types are usually pretty solid and a rarer type to have in Johto (especially if you're using Johto-only Pokemon like I try to do) and Typhlosion has a good enough moveset to cover its weaknesses.

I always found Chikorita to be a pain to use since there's so many Bug and Flying types about, plus the early Team Rocket battles and the fact that your rival uses Pokemon who all resist Grass until mid-way through the game. A Pokemon focused more on support does not typically do well in-game, at least based on how I play. It just never does super well, and where it does do solidly other Pokemon do just as well or even better.

Totodile is the odd one out because I did use it recently in Crystal, and it's the middle-ground starter for me. It did well when I used it, but I just felt underwhelmed by something that was meant to be really good? Probably because its best moves are special attacks in Gen II, I bet it's better in HGSS with actual physical STAB + coverage.

I like all their designs though, but they're a bit like the Galar starters in that the lack of secondary typing is a bit disappointing and their designs could have been better? I still like them though.