• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Johto starter did you choose?

Which Johto starter did you choose?

• Chikorita

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Totodile

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I always found Chikorita to be a pain to use since there's so many Bug and Flying types about, plus the early Team Rocket battles and the fact that your rival uses Pokemon who all resist Grass until mid-way through the game. A Pokemon focused more on support does not typically do well in-game, at least based on how I play. It just never does super well, and where it does do solidly other Pokemon do just as well or even better.

I chose Chikorita in SS just for the fun of it (after I saw Marriland use it in his HG playthrough), but as a Meganium, it's pretty decent. It even gets Earthquake, which is a great counter to all those Fire, Poison and Electric types. I use it against the Ponytas on Mt. Silver when I'm training my Meganium.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I typically go with Cyndaquil as my starter of choice, mainly because it's fast and I think Typhlosion looks pretty cool. Fire types are usually pretty solid and a rarer type to have in Johto (especially if you're using Johto-only Pokemon like I try to do) and Typhlosion has a good enough moveset to cover its weaknesses.

Yeah, if you don’t choose Cyndaquil and only try to use Johto ‘mons, you can’t really catch any other Fire-types until after the post-game (unless you count Entei and Ho-Oh, although I doubt most people would use legendaries as part of their main team). I’ve always wondered why you only find Houndour and Slugma in Kanto rather than Johto. :rolleyes:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Yeah, if you don’t choose Cyndaquil and only try to use Johto ‘mons, you can’t really catch any other Fire-types until after the post-game (unless you count Entei and Ho-Oh, although I doubt most people would use legendaries as part of their main team). I’ve always wondered why you only find Houndour and Slugma in Kanto rather than Johto. :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that the legendaries do count (although Ho-Oh is locked behind Kanto too in Crystal at least since you need to talk to Eusine in Celadon City with the legendary dogs caught to unlock it) and I think Entei at least isn't so incredibly strong that it trivialises the game for you. Locking Houndoom and Magcargo to the post-game was dumb though and unnecessarily difficult but I can only assume it was to make Kanto more exciting? Luckily the Kanto selection of Fire types were available reasonably early in Johto - you could have Growlithe/Vulpix, Magmar and even Flareon possibly by the fourth gym (can't quite remember how/where you get Fire Stones, think someone who calls you gives you one) and they're all solid in their own right. Cyndaquil is probably one of the best though thanks to Thunder Punch and other neat coverage tricks plus Fire is at its best in the early-game. Not a necessary type though by any stretch!

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Luckily the Kanto selection of Fire types were available reasonably early in Johto - you could have Growlithe/Vulpix, Magmar and even Flareon possibly by the fourth gym (can't quite remember how/where you get Fire Stones, think someone who calls you gives you one) and they're all solid in their own right.

I think that was only in Crystal that someone (a Schoolboy, I believe?) would call you and say they had a Fire Stone for you. In HG/SS, Bill gives you each one of the evolutionary stones instead, which meant I had to wait until after completing Johto before I was able to finally evolve my Vulpix and Staryu.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Chikorita was the weakest starter but I picked it during playthroughs because I liked it. I tend to alternate my team 8n the games and give all of my Pokémon a chance to shine.

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
In my original playthrough of Crystal in 2004 I chose Chikorita,I just really love the Chikorita line and it is my favourite grass starter line. For my last replay of Crystal before the battery died a few years back I chose Cyndaquil.
Later when SS was released I chose Chikorita again.