• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which kind of moves do you prefer?

Which kind of moves do you prefer

• Perfect accuracy, more PP, less power (Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Surf, etc.)

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Lower accuracy, less PP, more power (Blizzard, Thunder, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, etc.)

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Depends on the pokémon, I tend to go for what works best for the pokémon and its role in my team.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I prefer status moves, honestly.

They grant far more control over the battlefield, and since I prefer bulky stall teams, I need as much control as possible.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I despises when my moves miss, so definitely moves with higher accuracy versus lower. If a move has <75 accuracy, I tend to not teach it unless it's got a high power, but even then I'm less likely to use it.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Not too fond of my moves missing, so I generally prefer moves slightly less powerful moves with greater accuracy.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I'm prefer accuracy over super moves. However i occasionally use risky start moves known as as Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant and Hydro Cannon.
They do have 90% drawback in accuracy but they still pack the same power of of 150 like the other 3 then you need it.

Surf is great in general but it is really risky in doubles if your partner is weak to water.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
In-game I prefer accurate moves, but when I'm building a competitive team it varies heavily on a case-to-case basis. Sometimes moves like Fire Blast hit important threshholds that make them worth carrying, such as OHKOing an opponent that Flamethrower only 2HKOs. Sometimes a Pokemon simply doesn't have an accurate alternative, such as Gengar only learning Focus Blast and not, say, Aura Sphere.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I prefer moves that have perfect accuracy, or at least accuracy that's reasonable. I never use the 1-Hit KO moves for instance since they're unreliable unless you use moves such as Lock-On or Mind Reader beforehand.

DatsRight

I prefer moves that have perfect accuracy, or at least accuracy that's reasonable. I never use the 1-Hit KO moves for instance since they're unreliable unless you use moves such as Lock-On or Mind Reader beforehand.
Same really. I feel far more on ease with perfect accuracy moves. Also I think there's just something more satisfying about setting up a lower power move that has some practicality to balance it. I love setting up Fake Out combos.

TwilightBlade

I totally prefer high accuracy attacks even if there are low accuracy attacks with more power. Thankfully some of the best attacks like Earthquake have 100% accuracy without any real downside.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I lean more towards moves with better accuracy and that consistently reliable. Moves like Energy Ball, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Return, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam come to mind. Surf being a consistently reliable move is why I mostly always have it on my Water-type, except Gen 7 where I had Sparkling Aria on my Primarina instead.

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
As fun as one-hit KO moves such as Fissure and Horn Drill are to use, moves with perfect accuracy are the way to go for anyone who wishes to succeed in competitive Pokémon battling, since every intelligent person knows that success in competitive Pokémon battling is defined by the ability to win consistently over a large number of battles.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
As fun as one-hit KO moves such as Fissure and Horn Drill are to use, moves with perfect accuracy are the way to go for anyone who wishes to succeed in competitive Pokémon battling, since every intelligent person knows that success in competitive Pokémon battling is defined by the ability to win consistently over a large number of battles.
Act all smug as you want, you're still wrong. If Flamethrower consistently fails to KO on crucial targets outside of crits while Fire Blast gets that KO 85% of the time the Fire Blast user still has the advantage. It depends on what your targets are and where your power is.

Depends on the pokemon and the meta tbh

Volcarona should run Fire Blast because Flamethrower just doesn't do enough damage at +1. (No good player will let your Volc get 2 QD boosts)

However, Charizard Y can go with Flamethrower because of the sun boost. Some players still run Fire Blast as it can OHKO bulky Landorus-T and do more than 70% damage to AV Torn-T. I personally think Flamethrower is better on Zard Y.

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
Act all smug as you want, you're still wrong. If Flamethrower consistently fails to KO on crucial targets outside of crits while Fire Blast gets that KO 85% of the time the Fire Blast user still has the advantage. It depends on what your targets are and where your power is.
What I said still holds true, because if a certain Pokémon needs to rely on inaccurate moves in the first place in order to net some important KO's, then what that really means is that said Pokémon simply isn't good, as it cannot allow its user to achieve amazing win-loss records such as 209-17 on the ladder.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
What I said still holds true, because if a certain Pokémon needs to rely on inaccurate moves in the first place in order to net some important KO's, then what that really means is that said Pokémon simply isn't good, as it cannot allow its user to achieve amazing win-loss records such as 209-17 on the ladder.
Some of the strongest and most popular Pokémon around use inaccurate moves. Kyogre uses Origin Pulse, Groudon uses Precipice Blades, Landorus uses Rock Slide, Ho-Oh uses Sacred Fire, plenty of non-poison walls like Lugia use Toxic, all Rotom forms use inaccurate moves like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump, none of these Pokémon are weak.

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
Contrary to popular opinions, Origin Pulse and Precipice Blades are both terrible moves that aren't worth using over Surf/Scald and Earthquake respectively. On that note, the fact that many people in Generations VI and VII relied on hitting Xerneas with Primal Groudon's Precipice Blades in order to check Xerneas is especially laughable, as that's basically a 15% chance that the Primal Groudon user's entire team gets swept by Xerneas, which is basically saying goodbye to an amazing win-loss record over a large number of battles.

Also, Rock Slide, Sacred Fire, and Toxic don't count as inaccurate moves in my eyes. Also, speaking of Toxic, there's a difference between moves that can miss but you often get multiple chances to use them and moves that can miss and often cost you the entire battle if you miss with them. Lugia, Ho-Oh, Giratina, Dusk Mane Necrozma, etc missing a support Arceus with Toxic hardly matters, as you can just use Toxic again later. The same cannot be said for missing a Xerneas with Primal Groudon's Precipice Blades, missing an Extreme Killer Arceus with Mega Gengar's Focus Blast, missing a Dragon Dance Zekrom with Lunala's Will-O-Wisp, and things like that.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I think using Flamethrower vs Fire Blast to show that moves with higher power and lower accuracy are better is a bad example.

Ice Beam and Thunderbolt cover more weaknesses than Flamethrower, and their respective alternatives Blizzard and Thunder are less accurate than Fire Blast (by a whopping 15%).

Using Fireblast instead of Flamethrower is therefore are more viable strategy than using the likes of Blizzard over Ice Beam.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Fair, but Blizzard and Thunder also get perfect accuracy in favourable weather, they're more moves you use if you have reliable weather support. And Blizzard is also different for being spread damage so it gets a double freeze roll.