• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which legendaries/mythicals with more than one member within their species (SPECULATION)

Rune Knight

Hey guys, I got bored. So given the premises of the new anime series, and how we've seen multiple legendaries/mythicals of the same kind in the anime which raises the question of inconsistency, I started wondering just which ones actually made sense to the Pokemon world. More specifically, I'm only going to cover the anime although I will be taking game rules into consideration since they most likely apply to most if not all pokemon media.

So how I will label each pokemon goes like this: sometimes I'll just group them based on their class; ex: the legendary birds trio. I'll also assign them a class based on their rarity, they are the following:

Multiple - Means that there a various members of the species, albeit the chances of encountering one is unlikely unless you actually go looking for them.

A few - They are a very a rare breed. Small number of them in the world. You could say Chewpacabra or Bigfoot level of rarity.

Only one - These pokemon are literal gods and unique in the pokemon world.

Then I will give a reason(s) behind their classification; although some won't have one for now and will be purely based on speculation.

Keep in mind that the definition of a legendary doesn't make that pokemon one of a kind; it likely just refers to the legends and mithos surrounding their species. While legendaries are acknowledged by science, mythicals are so rare that their very existence is questioned by the pokemon world; kind of like our real world perceptions of dragons and unicorns.

Anyway, here's the list for now. Remember that this is pure opinion and speculation based on what the anime and the games have provided up until now.

If you have any good suggestions, I'll try to implement them into this list and give you credit.

Legendary Birds - Multiple.
None for now.
Mewtwo - A few.
Can be cloned indefinitely, but hard to pull off. -TheWanderingMist
Mew - A few.
Stated to be able to reproduce.
Legendary Beasts - Multiple.
It is stated that a new Entei is born whenever a volcano erupts or something like that. Also since we saw two sets of them; one being shiny, that implies that there's more than one of each. -Captain Jigglypuff.
Lugia - A few.
Shown able to reproduce in the anime, ex: Silver.
Ho-Oh - Only one. (For now).
Even though it's in same class as Lugia, the anime has been consistent with only showing us up until now. -TheWanderingMist
Celebi - Multiple.
We see a good number of them together in M04.
Legendary Titans - Multiple.
Can be created by environmental factors.
Eon Duo - Multiple.
M05 states that Latios & Latias are siblings and had parents that passed away, therefore they are able to reproduce.
Kyogre - A few.
None for now.
Groudon - A few.
None for now.
Rayquaza - A few.
We see a regular, then later a shiny one. Indicating that there are at least two.
Jirachi - A few.
Rare because they only wake up every 1000 years for 7 days.
Deoxys - Multiple.
We see two of them at the same time in M07.
Lake Guardians - Only one of each.
None for now.
Dialga - Only one.
None for now.
Palkia - Only one.
None for now.
Heatran - Multiple.
It's just the fact that they are tremendously strong that renders their "legendary" status.
Regigas - A few.
None for now.
Giratina - Only one.
None for now.
Cresselia - A few.
None for now.
Phione - Multiple.
We see many together at the same time in one episode of DP.
Manaphy - A few.
Same family as Phione. Plus the one from M09 was born from an egg, therefore suggesting that it might have had parents. However it is implied that only one is born every so often. -TheWanderingMist
Darkrai - A few.
None for now.
Shaymin - Multiple.
We see many together at the same time in multiple episodes + M11. ex: More recently, the final episode of Sun & Moon.
Arceus - Only one.
None for now.
Victini - A few.
None for now.
Swords of Justice - Only one of each. (For now).
None for now.
Forces of Nature - A few.
None for now.
Reshiram - Only one.
None for now.
Zekrom - Only one.
None for now.
Kyurem - Only one.
None for now.
Meloetta - A few.
None for now.
Genesect - Multiple
We see many at the same time in M16.
Xerneas - A few. Alternatively possible only one.
Same class as Zygarde; see Zygarde.
Yveltal - A few. Alternatively possible only one.
Same class as Zygarde; see Zygarde.
Zygarde - A few. Alternatively possible only one.
Alternatively possible only one. We see two at the same time in the anime. However it can be argued that 50% Zygarde isn't complete Zygarde, therefore the two cores are just parts of Zygarde rather than the whole Pokemon. -TheWanderingMist
Diancie - A few.
None for now.
Hoopa - A few.
None for now.
Volcanion - A few.
None for now.
Island Guardians - Only one of each.
Referred to as island deities. -TheWanderingMist
Cosmog Line(s) - A few.
Assuming that both Solgaleo and Lunala started as Cosmogs, then that suggests that there are multiple Cosmogs to begin with. Plus it's suggested that the scene with them handing over Cosmog to Ash likely implies that it's their child, and therefore are able to reproduce. -TheWanderingMist
Necrozma - A few.
None for now.
Magearna - A few.
Can be built. -TheWanderingMist
Zeraora - A few.
None for now.
Meltan Line - Multiple.
We see many in the anime.

So, that's it for now. If you have any input of your own feel free to share it.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Hey guys, I got bored. So given the premises of the new anime series, and how we've seen multiple legendaries/mythicals of the same kind in the anime which raises the question of inconsistency, I started wondering just which ones actually made sense to the Pokemon world. More specifically, I'm only going to cover the anime although I will be taking game rules into consideration since they most likely apply to most if not all pokemon media.

So how I will label each pokemon goes like this: sometimes I'll just group them based on their class; ex: the legendary birds trio. I'll also assign them a class based on their rarity, they are the following:

Multiple - Means that there a various members of the species, albeit the chances of encountering one is unlikely unless you actually go looking for them.

A few - They are a very a rare breed. You could say Chewpacabra or Bigfoot level of rarity.

Only one - These pokemon are literal gods amd unique in the pokemon world.

Keep in mind that the definition of a legendary doesn't make that pokemon one of a kind; it likely just refers to the legends and mithos surrounding their species. While legendaries are acknowledged by science, mythicals are so rare that their very existence is questioned by the pokemon world; kind of like our real world perceptions of dragons and unicorns.

Anyway, here's the list for now. Remember that this is pure opinion and speculation based on what the anime and the games have provided up until now.

Legendary Birds - Multiple
Mewtwo - A few(can be cloned indefinitely)
Mew - A few (stated to be able to reproduce)
Legendary Beasts - Multiple (it is stated that a new Entei is born whenever a volcano erupts or something like that)
Lugia - A few (shown able to reproduce in the anime, ex: Silver)
Ho-Oh - A few (same class as Lugia)
Celebi - Multiple (we see a good number of them together in M04)
Legendary Titans - Multiple (created by environment factors)
Eon Duo - Multiple (M05 states that Latios & Latias are siblings and had parents that passed away, therefore they are able to reproduce)
Kyogre - A few.
Groudon - A few.
Rayquaza - A few.
Jirachi - A few (rare because they only wake up every 1000 years for 7 days)
Deoxys - Multiple (we see two of them at the same time in M07)
Lake Guardians - Likely a few (they may be able to reproduce with one another to create new generations of their trio)
Dialga - Only one.
Palkia - Only one.
Heatran - Multiple (it's just the fact that they are tremendously strong that renders their "legendary" status)
Regigas - A few.
Giratina - Only one.
Cresselia - A few.
Phione - Multiple (we see various at the same time in one episode of DP)
Manaphy - Multiple/a few (same family as Phione. Plus the one from M09 was born from an egg, therefore suggesting that it might have had parents)
Darkrai - A few.
Shaymin - Multiple (we see at the same time in multiple episodes + M11. ex: Final ep of Sun & Moon)
Arceus - Definitely only one.
Victini - A few.
Swords of Justice - A few.
Forces of Nature - A few.
Reshiram - I wanna say only one, but likely a few.
Zekrom - Same as Reshiram.
Kyurem - Same as the last two.
Meloetta - A few.
Genesect - Multiple (we see many at the same in M16)
Xerneas - A few.
Yveltal - A few.
Zygarde - A few. (we see two at the same time in the anime)
Diancie - A few.
Hoopa - A few.
Volcanion - A few.
Island Guardians - A few (likely work the same way as the Lake Guardians, they reproduce between one another to create new generations)
Cosmog Line(s) - A few (assuming that both Solgaleo and Lunala started as Cosmogs, then that suggests that there are multiple Cosmogs to begin with)
Necrozma - A few.
Magearna - A few.
Zeraora - A few.
Meltan Line - Multiple (we see many in the anime)

So, that's it for now. If you have any input of your own feel free to share it.
For one thing, Solgaleo and Lunala are basically implied to be handing their child to Ash in the anime. Also, the URS has riding versions of both of them.

Ho-oH I'm going to say is singular. It may be Lugia's counterpart, but seeing as it is a phoenix, probably just gets reborn every so often.

The Island Guardians are pretty heavily implied to be singular, perhaps even being the prayers of the Alolans given life.

Diancie works like Manaphy, where every so often an extra powerful version of Carbink is created as with Phione and Manaphy.

Arceus could be multiple. It's implied the Unown are related to it, and it may even be like the Entei from M3.

No reason for multiples of Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, the Weather trio, the Lake Guardians, the Creation trio, or the Tao trio.

Isn't that Celebi swarm implied to be Celebi time-traveling to save itself in the past?

Magearna can be built, so it's in a similar situation to Mewtwo, though probably easier to do.

Rune Knight

For one thing, Solgaleo and Lunala are basically implied to be handing their child to Ash in the anime. Also, the URS has riding versions of both of them.

Ho-oH I'm going to say is singular. It may be Lugia's counterpart, but seeing as it is a phoenix, probably just gets reborn every so often.

The Island Guardians are pretty heavily implied to be singular, perhaps even being the prayers of the Alolans given life.

Diancie works like Manaphy, where every so often an extra powerful version of Carbink is created as with Phione and Manaphy.

Arceus could be multiple. It's implied the Unown are related to it, and it may even be like the Entei from M3.

No reason for multiples of Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, the Weather trio, the Lake Guardians, the Creation trio, or the Tao trio.

Isn't that Celebi swarm implied to be Celebi time-traveling to save itself in the past?

Magearna can be built, so it's in a similar situation to Mewtwo, though probably easier to do.

As much as I want to believe it and despite the fact that we've only seen one in the anime, I kind of believe that there is more than one Ho-Oh, albeit a very small number/somewhere within single digit. That being said, because we've only seen one in the anime and it's been consistent up until now, I'm going to change it to only one.

That is a good point that you brought up about Solgaleo and Lunala, the Cosmog is likely their child. So maybe the two are able to breed with one another.

I think you're right about the island guardians being unique because they're literally referred to as dieties in Alola. So I'll change that.

It's likely that there are only a few Manaphy rather than multiple based on what you said. Plus I found this interesting description on bulbapedia: "It is also unusual in that its offspring are Phione, which do not evolve into Manaphy, and that Manaphy Eggs have a different appearance from other Pokémon Eggs." Implying that Manaphy eggs are in fact a thing. So I'll change Manaphy to a few.

I'll change the weather trio, lake guardians and tao trio to only one. But the fact that we saw two Zygardes in the anime and that it's in the same class as Xerneas and Yveltal makes me think that there is more than one of each, again albeit a small number.

Serebii's description of the movie labels them as "A multitude of Celebi comes out of the light, using their powers to help the "dead" Celebi." , plus if I can remember correctly the 4kids dub referred to them as "Celebi's friends".

And I agree with Magearna and Mewtwo.

If you have anymore good points, don't hesitate to bring them up.

TheWanderingMist

As much as I want to believe it and despite the fact that we've only seen one in the anime, I kind of believe that there is more than one Ho-Oh, albeit a very small number/somewhere within single digit. That being said, because we've only seen one in the anime and it's been consistent up until now, I'm going to change it to only one.

That is a good point that you brought up about Solgaleo and Lunala, the Cosmog is likely their child. So maybe the two are able to breed with one another.

I think you're right about the island guardians being unique because they're literally referred to as dieties in Alola. So I'll change that.

It's likely that there are only a few Manaphy rather than multiple based on what you said. Plus I found this interesting description on bulbapedia: "It is also unusual in that its offspring are Phione, which do not evolve into Manaphy, and that Manaphy Eggs have a different appearance from other Pokémon Eggs." Implying that Manaphy eggs are in fact a thing. So I'll change Manaphy to a few.

I'll change the weather trio, lake guardians and tao trio to only one. But the fact that we saw two Zygardes in the anime and that it's in the same class as Xerneas and Yveltal makes me think that there is more than one of each, again albeit a small number.

Serebii's description of the movie labels them as "A multitude of Celebi comes out of the light, using their powers to help the "dead" Celebi." , plus if I can remember correctly the 4kids dub referred to them as "Celebi's friends".

And I agree with Magearna and Mewtwo.

If you have anymore good points, don't hesitate to bring them up.
Actually, we saw ONE Zygarde. It had two cores, yes, but the mecha form is referred to as 100% Forme, which implies the Snake Forme isn't a full Zygarde, and I'm not sure whether to count the SM version as a separate Zygarde. Unless there was some Zygarde in the XYZ Special that I'm not remembering.

Rune Knight

Actually, we saw ONE Zygarde. It had two cores, yes, but the mecha form is referred to as 100% Forme, which implies the Snake Forme isn't a full Zygarde, and I'm not sure whether to count the SM version as a separate Zygarde. Unless there was some Zygarde in the XYZ Special that I'm not remembering.

There was a Zygarde in SM? You referring to the games? Or are you referring to the XY special? I'm skeptical about Zygarde because before XYZ the Snake Form / 50% was referred to as actual form.

TheWanderingMist

There was a Zygarde in SM? You referring to the games? Or are you referring to the XY special? I'm skeptical about Zygarde because before XYZ the Snake Form / 50% was referred to as actual form.
I was talking about the games, but I'd bet money on 100% Zygarde being planned from the beginning, especially with how popular Kyurem's upgraded fused forms were. And then they literally did the same thing with Necrozma.

Rune Knight

I was talking about the games, but I'd bet money on 100% Zygarde being planned from the beginning, especially with how popular Kyurem's upgraded fused forms were. And then they literally did the same thing with Necrozma.

For sure, based on the fact that almost every third mainline legendaries tend to get new forms later on in their generation. Still, at the time it was referred to as a full pokemon. I'm not entirely sure but I will add the possibility to the list nevertheless.

Konja7

I remember the multiple Celebi in that movie were mentioned to be the "Spirit of the Forest" from the past and the future (implying they were the same Celebi). They appear from a time portal

Rune Knight

I remember the multiple Celebi in that movie were mentioned to be the "Spirit of the Forest" from the past and the future (implying they were the same Celebi). They appear from a time portal

Just re-watched that scene in english (couldn't find it in japanese). Sam or Young Professor Oak says "They must have sensed that their friend was in trouble.", implying that they are different just that they're also from different eras.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
There is definitely only one Xerneas and one Yveltal we have seen so far so idk why you put few in them. Same with hoopa, based on its anime lore it can only be one. Kyurem also has been shown to be one as the one in hoopa movie was the same. Victini also has been shown to be one same as the swords of justice which lore allows to be one of each. Reshiram and zekrom are iffy coz of those terrible movies otherwise they should have been one :/
Groudon and Kyogre are possibly one only as far as we know.
Stupidly there are atleast 2 rayquaza coz one is shiny :/

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Definitely at least one more set of the Legendary Beasts given in the Zoroark movie all three not only appeared but were also Shiny which proved that this wasn’t the same Suicuine from the fourth movie and Entei in Spell of the Unown was just an illusion created just for Molly.

TheWanderingMist

Definitely at least one more set of the Legendary Beasts given in the Zoroark movie all three not only appeared but were also Shiny which proved that this wasn’t the same Suicuine from the fourth movie and Entei in Spell of the Unown was just an illusion created just for Molly.
Weren't they Zoroark illusions?

Also, it's pretty heavily implied by an HGSS cutscene that the entire world is a giant Unown illusion.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Weren't they Zoroark illusions?
One set was. There were two sets of the Legendary Beasts. One set that Zoroark was force to create illusions of and another set that were real and went to Crown City to save the Celebi that was in danger. The Hoopa movie is a bit iffy about multiple Legendaries given we don’t know where exact each of them came from meaning a different parallel universe and dimension or another part of the Pokémon world. But from the movie it is evident that Lugia, the Eon Duo, And Legendary Birds were different than the ones Ash met. The way we know this is Lugia was seen with a baby in the anime, Articuno was shown to have multiple members of its species with Nolan befriending one in the BF and in Johto when Todd/Snap was with the gang, and Latias not trying to flirt with Ash.

Legendary Pokémon that are possibly the only one of their kind are the Creation Trio, Lake Guardians, the Swords of Justice and Keldeo, And Jirachi.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
We saw a second Jirachi in Best Wishes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I still don't think that Houou is a singular Pokemon. Arceus is the only species of Pokemon in the anime that I think could be singular, but even that isn't necessarily confirmed if I remember right since the Arceus from the Hoopa movie wasn't stated to be the same one from the Shinou movie trilogy as far as I know. In either case, I don't think that the anime has any unique one-of-a-kind species of Pokemon.

DatsRight

I'm wondering what the stance is on Meltan right now actually, since all the ones that appeared so far combined and evolved into Ash's Melmetal.

Lana is also going after Manaphy now, leaving me wondering if it's just a somewhat rare Pokemon like Shaymin and Kyogre (who she's already crossed off her list :p).

We saw a second Jirachi in Best Wishes.

And in the Pikachu Klefki special.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

TheWanderingMist

Why would there be multiple creators of the Pokemon universe?
Because I suspect Unown are the true creators of the Pokemon universe, and that the inhabitants Sinnoh attributed to Arceus what was actually the Unown's work.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
1:
Ho-oh - Only ever saw the one and it's only ever been referenced as a singular entity
Mewtwo. There was never a second one, don't know what anyone's talking about. It'd be impossible to recreate the events anyways
Arceus and the creation trio - It doesn't make sense for there to be multiple, given their roles and existence lol "Arceus in Hoopa isn't the real Arceus cause it doesn't talk" or whatever is the most stupidest excuse I've seen

Everyone else(Except for the Unova legends, but that might change soon?) has appeared numerous times and have more than one of their species out there