• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which name do you prefer?

Shiny_Wooper

Pokemon have different names for almost each language, but, the question is which name do you prefer? I am mostly talking about Japanese or English, (If you don't know there Japanese name just look up in the pokedex on serebii and it will say there English and Japanese names) I prefer there Japanese names but, i say there English names so i don't confuse other people.

SuperEpicRock

Wow, I can see this topic sparking a lot of (hopefully good) discussion. Personally, I prefer the English names, just because I see them so much on my games (I always get the english versions) that they seem commonplace.

I know especially right after new english names come out a lot of times people say "these suck" or "the japanese is better", but honestly it's usually just because the names are new and once people get used to the english versions hardly anyone ever uses the Japanese forms.

Machoke

Shizui/Brawlytrainer
I do like some of the Japanese Pokémon names. That would be the ones that I can actually pronounce without tripping over my tongue a zillion times, though I am not a big fan of those names that are basically just English words. (Though understandable that they use those as they sound foreign to them.) But I am so used to the English names that prefer those.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
English names for me, I speak english so its what I'm used to, pretty much. Plus a lot of the Jap names I don't know how to pronounce.

Skegs

The Japanese Unova names are great, sometimes I do say the Japanese version, even though I can't spell them correctly half of the time >.<

English names, I speak English and not Japanese, and I know all English names, and not much Japanese names. It's really annoying when I see people talking in English and using Japanese trainer and Pokemon names... I know a few Japanese names, but not a lot.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I personally prefer thee English names, simply because as a kid, I grew up with the English names. Therefore I'm not fully used to Japanese yet.

Last edited:

Aegon

For most Pokémon, I prefer their English names, for obvious reasons. However, there are some I despise, such as Unfezant. I still use the English names I dislike, even though I can remember the majority of the Japanese names of Unova Pokémon.

Indigoodra

WEll, the only example I can think of (and it's a big one), is Alomomola.

I realize that they were probably like "lol it's a palindrome", but it's nearly impossible to pronounce @____@. Mamanbou is soo much better~

zerofield

i miss miror
usually i just use the english names due to not knowing the japanese ones as well o.o but when a new gen comes out i'll probably be using the japanese names because competitive play for a gen starts as soon as it's released in japan.

Flame Mistress

I prefer the English ones in most cases. One exception is Audino - I prefer Tabunne over it, mostly because I like the 'bunne' part (as Audino is technically a bunny).

Off-Topic (kinda): But really, I like Korean names the best... mainly because I'm Korean.

Guywhoiam

Dr. Researcher Man
I use the English names because I speak English as my first language. I also like the English names more because they are puns. Is pun the right word? Or am I meaning to use a different one? Anyway, you get the point.

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
I use English names, because I have no idea what Japanese names are.

XXD17

Draco rex
English...mainly because I speak only English and Chinese so even if I can pronounce and like the Japanese names, I can't understand the meaning behind them therefore not fully appreciating them...

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I don't even remember the Japanese names. So I use the English ones

Got a German Charizard off of GTS once. "Gulark" or something like that

Last edited:

cantab

English...mainly because I speak only English and Chinese so even if I can pronounce and like the Japanese names, I can't understand the meaning behind them therefore not fully appreciating them...

This. Pokemon names in any language are often portmanteaus or puns in that language. Those meanings are lost with names in a language one doesn't understand.

Also, one tends to prefer what one learnt first. For BW, the only time since original GSC that I've been interested in Pokemon during the run-up to new releases, I deliberately stayed away from sites and forums so I wouldn't have them spoilered, so I never learnt any Japanese names. Besides the starters, Legendaries, and Zorua/Zoroark, I knew almost no 5th gen Pokemon before I found them in the game, which I think really helped me enjoy it.

Osha Say What?

I speak English, so I use the English names for the Pokémon and the characters. I can remember the characters Japanese names for the most part, at least the BW characters, but the Japanese names for Pokémon I don't remember. And besides, I hate to have to switch between Bulbapedia and this site when I see Pokémons Japanese names, it's a pain when my ZuneHD only allows me to have one webpage open at time.

~Kari~

English, because I can't understand Japanese and I don't remember them anyway. I do remember the Japanese names of the anime characters, though.