• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which of Goh's Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of the Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Grookey

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All of Them tbh....

Votes: 46 51.7%

• Total voters

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There's an ongoing thread on Bulbagarden right now that brought this thread back to my attention.

Out all 8 Generations, do you guys think Goh's Grookey is the worst handled Cute Base Stage Starter had the main cast?

Some say it's Oshawott, some say it's Rowlet,

But some seriously believe it may be Grookey?
Mostly because it hasn't used a Move yet and it mostly just causes trouble?
Oshawott is worse. I’m surprised people are this annoyed with Grookey when past Pokémon were more annoying and it’s not even that annoying IMO (it is a shame it doesn’t do much besides be comedic relief though).
It has it's Hidden Ability? Where was that confirmed?
People take its ability to help dying plant life and a sign of Grassy Surge but that’s been a part of the species since the day SwSh were announced and you can look at its Sword Dex entry:

“When it uses its special stick to strike up a beat, the sound waves produced carry revitalizing energy to the plants and flowers in the area.”

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Grookey is the absolute worst by far. All other previous gagmon were treated as the jokes they were and actually got their share of comeuppance.

Grookey not only doesn’t get any such comeuppance or reprimand, but it’s always others that has to pay the price. It’s gag of physically hurting others is also much less tolerable than the usual arrogance and glutton gag. All this in addition to it not actually doing anything productive all this time.

MartínK

It has it's Hidden Ability? Where was that confirmed?

People take its ability to help dying plant life and a sign of Grassy Surge but that’s been a part of the species since the day SwSh were announced and you can look at its Sword Dex entry:

“When it uses its special stick to strike up a beat, the sound waves produced carry revitalizing energy to the plants and flowers in the area.”

My bad, tht happens cuz i never read the pokedex entries lol

Remix2

There's an ongoing thread on Bulbagarden right now that brought this thread back to my attention.

Out all 8 Generations, do you guys think Goh's Grookey is the worst handled Cute Base Stage Starter had the main cast?

Ya I think it safe to say that grookey is the worst handed starter in the anime.

atleast oshawott and rowlet actually use moves.

Pokemonfan5

Grookey isn't doing anything and become more annoying as time goes, Oshawott at least has good comedy and won some battle while Rowlet is probably best handle gag character because he is also great battler unlike other gag pokemons as he won many battles and has training episodes

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Grookey isn't doing anything and become more annoying as time goes, Oshawott at least has good comedy and won some battle while Rowlet is probably best handle gag character because he is also great battler unlike other gag pokemons as he won many battles and has training episodes

except for that one time they went too far with the gag...aka the battle with Hau.

even so, Grookey and Intelleon haven't exactly been handled well, Cinderace is barely passible.

Pokemonfan5

except for that one time they went too far with the gag...aka the battle with Hau.

even so, Grookey and Intelleon haven't exactly been handled well, Cinderace is barely passible.
That hau battle gag was good or bad is debatable so I won't argue on that but other than that Rowlet prove himself a great battler while other gag pokemons like Piplup and Oshawott didn't do much for battle while Grookey is becoming the worst walking pokemon,

D

Deleted member 384931

That hau battle gag was good or bad is debatable so I won't argue on that but other than that Rowlet prove himself a great battler while other gag pokemons like Piplup and Oshawott didn't do much for battle while Grookey is becoming the worst walking pokemon,
It isnt that hard to be better than Grookey at this point

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I honestly doubt Grookey will be the answer when the series comes to an end considering its evolution arc is probably approaching what with Piers having a Rillaboom and all

MartínK

I honestly doubt Grookey will be the answer when the series comes to an end considering its evolution arc is probably approaching what with Piers having a Rillaboom and all

If the writers choose the same arc as Sobble and how Grookey has been handled so far to me will be the worst, at least with Oshawott, Chespin and Rowlet personalities save them of how bad they were handled. But all of this is sujestive, everyone has their own opinion and there's no wrong or right answer.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
It's still taken over 2 years for it to do LITERALLY ANYTHING

Evolving doesn't magically make everything better

coughsobblehackwheeze
I mean, as bad as Sobble's "Arc" was, at least Inteleon actually does stuff now (when he actually gets to show up that is.....) instead of being the shoulder prop he was before

If Grookey evolves at least he'll actually battle instead of sitting on his ass

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Let's be real. Despite what he thinks he is, Goh is really an awful trainer who's luck would make Yoshikage Kira sick. He gets everything handed to him that the only thing that would slow him down is getting a cramp in his dominant arm. He's much more of a marketing tool for the starters than Ash, who's more of a marketing tool this time except less so somehow.

Decidueye23

The things is we havent seen Goh actually train his pokemon enough to deduce that. Like oaul is a bad trainer. Our boi Goh barely even qualifies as a trainer, forget good or bad.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Let me remind you of Raboot who stood around and did nothing but kick a few not-Pyro Balls when needed, and Drizzile who— wait, who's Drizzile?
Sad part is, they still did more than Grookey is doing now

Raboot knocked out Flygon, kicked Zapdos in the face, and took out Oleana's Milotic.

Drizzile found out who was stealing Sakurai's Lab data and put a stop to it

While True, it's not much but they still were more beneficial to Goh in these few episodes than Grookey has been in over 30 episodes

Last edited:
Let's be real. Despite what he thinks he is, Ash is really an awful trainer who's luck would make Yoshikage Kira sick. He gets everything handed to him.
FTFY.
The only time Ash was competent was Sinnoh.
Kalos League Ash was as bad as Unova League Ash in my eyes. Alola League Ash is just as bad but he actually won because he got super lucky.