• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which of Goh's Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of the Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Grookey

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All of Them tbh....

Votes: 46 51.7%

• Total voters

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Everybody has complaints about at least one of Goh's Starters.

And all 3 of them have MAJOR problems with their respective writing.

But I wanna know which one of these 3 does Bulbagarden think got screwed over the hardest?

And explain why you think they got screwed over so hard.

For example These are my Personal Opinions:

Let's Start with Cinderace

index.php

It's Goh's Starter. His very first Pokémon. Goh's Pikachu equivalent. The one who is supposed to be by his side and his go to Ace.

Nowadays? Its treated like a side character who's only slightly appears more than the rest of Goh's Lab Pokémon, and the closest thing it has to an episode focusing on itself since it became a Cinderace is a Gag Filler Episode that's shared with Lucario.

That said, it's still handled by far the best of the 3 Starters. But that's only because the other 2 are handled even WORSE

Which bring me to Inteleon

index.php

As someone who has this as my favorite Galar Starter, This is painful for me to say, but yeah I personally think this one was screwed over the hardest by the Writer's.

Do I even need to say anything that hasn't already been said here?

Both of it's Evolutions were rushed, and I'll never forgive the writer's for shoving Drizzile in a cave for nearly 20 episodes

The only silver lining is that (if the upcoming previews are an indicator) the Writer's might have more plans for Inteleon down the line.

Still won't change the fact that they denied it any onscreen development in it's previous stage

And then lastly there's Grookey.

index.php

This one is still in it's Base Stage so there's still time for it to change but the fact that it hasn't used a single move despite being here for over 20 episodes is a very bad sign imo. If it evolves it has the potential to be even worse than Sobble's evolution

And it also has a bit of a habit of causing problems for the Protagonists and getting off scott free without facing consequences.

And of course we can't forget how it took the writer's 60 FREAKING EPISODES to debut the dang thing and still haven't done much of anything with it.

Like I said, maybe it's still too early to judge Grookey. For now we'll have to wait and see.

So who was done Dirtiest in Your opinion?

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
It’s obvious: It’s Grookey. Like essentially every other grass starter except Sceptile and Bulbasaur. Bayleef was forced to share screentime with Bulba, Torterra was screwed over in the end, Snivy got nothing, entire Chespin line was fked over, Rowlet did nothing over half of the time and was just screen filler with it always constantly and annoyingly sleeping.

And Grookey is just screen filler and a nuisance.

Decidueye23

The problem realoy is that they went nowehere with arcs they started. The whole emo raboot thing was such a botched up plot, they couldnt makw up thier mind.

And oh boy drizzile... done the dirtiest.
Atleast chespin used a move...

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
After seeing his Cinderace in the anime its imo the most bland fire starter in the franchie. It just look looks normal type and like a human pretending to be a bunny.
And I really like its first base form:/

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
None were done dirty. His Pokemon accomplished their purpose which is to promote the gameplay of a mobile game. Goh is just a walking ad to simp for Pokemon Go cash shop money and a device for writers to pump out easy episodes without having to put in the effort you see with Ash/Dawn/Serena/etc focused episodes. They tried too hard to make Goh popular by having him catch every single Pokemon instead of just the Kanto dex and it just became quantity over quality with no plot. There's a reason why Goh's Pokemon are all so boring and forgettable like CotDs.

What the writers should've done is make the SwSh/Pokemon Go MC the new companion who wants to complete the Galar dex. Then have their capture episodes be like the Dragonite one where they learn about the Pokemon first before catching them, but that's too much work for the writers I guess.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
None were done dirty. His Pokemon accomplished their purpose which is to promote the gameplay of a mobile game. Goh is just a walking ad to simp for Pokemon Go cash shop money and a device for writers to pump out easy episodes without having to put in the effort you see with Ash/Dawn/Serena/etc focused episodes. They tried too hard to make Goh popular by having him catch every single Pokemon instead of just the Kanto dex and it just became quantity over quality with no plot. There's a reason why Goh's Pokemon are all so boring and forgettable like CotDs.

What the writers should've done is make the SwSh/Pokemon Go MC the new companion who wants to complete the Galar dex. Then have their capture episodes be like the Dragonite one where they learn about the Pokemon first before catching them, but that's too much work for the writers I guess.
Pretty accurate

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
They've all been done dirty to different degrees.

Scorbunny was rushed into evolving before it was able to do anything memorable, which is strange for Goh's first Pokemon and partner. Raboot stood around and did nothing except for the occasional battle when Goh needed something to blast off TR with. Now Cinderace only appears for battles. Its handling has been so bad that my mind doesn't even associate the Scorbunny line with Goh. Even Chespin immediately makes me think of Clemont.

Sobble was just a shoulder prop until the writers felt the need to include the pointless and unfunny crying gag. I thought they were going somewhere with Sobble attempting to fight Flygon, but just like everything else in this series, it went nowhere. Sleeping in a cave as a Drizzile for over 10 episodes is one of the worst things this show has ever done in its 20+ year history. My heart goes out to Drizzile fans like myself who wanted to see it do anything at all. It's still a little early to judge Inteleon but I predict that it will suffer a similar fate to Cinderace.

The horrible writing of Grookey's capture episode aside, it has to be my favourite of Goh's three starters. Grookey actually gets to interact with the other Pokemon and the environment which is something Scorbunny and Sobble didn't get. However, it comes at the cost of some of those interactions causing problems with no consequences, which got annoying after the first few times.

None of them are memorable and have an actual personality or relationships with the other Pokemon on the cast.

D

Deleted member 384931

All of them. At one point tbh.
Not saying with Satoshi it would have been done better

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I mean tbh it‘s not like giving some of the mons to ash would make that much of a difference in this series, his pokemon hasn’t been handled spectacularly either.

But yeah for me intelion was by far the worst. Two evolution without doing anything and the first development it received as sobble being learning to fight with a move that functions by running away and letting someone else do the fighting were just dumb.

LazySpy

Kimty
Grookey. Whilst Inteleon's evolutions were poorly supported by cause and effect, at least his character had some kind of a through-line. Cinderace had some good stuff going for him early on but was botched later. Grookey has nothing other than the personality trait of being a troublemaker and the backstory of being apparently raised by Team Rocket which is not explored properly - As of today that is. He's just... There, annoying everyone with no consequence to himself. He still has a shot at redemption - Well okay, they all do - But JN's track record doesn't generate much hope.