• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which of Goh's Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of the Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Grookey

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All of Them tbh....

Votes: 46 51.7%

• Total voters

RetroPokeFan

Cinderace had potential being Goh's starter but has basically dissolved into nothing, Sobble barely got much development to munch on before being forced to evolve into a Drizzile, shoved into a cave and evolve again into a Inteleon and Grookey might as well be replaced with tissue paper.

All three of them so far have had their potential squandered proving that the writers really could not care less about anything Galar related.

LazySpy

Kimty
Can I also talk about Cinderace for a bit, it does bother me how discussions about episode 22 boiled down to "is he interested in dancing or battling". (At least on Bulbagarden IDK how it went here)

The thing about it is that he wasn't dancing because that was his new interest, Pokemon he was standing up for were challanged to a dance battle for territory.

When he was introduced as a Scorbunny, he was helping a group of Nickit with no discernible motive. It seemed as though something was compelling him to help innocent Pokemon, so lets put aside the discussion on whether he's interested in battling or dancing for a minute because we are looking at some potentially great character setup here, why not explore why he's helping other Pokemon?

Maybe he's doing it because he wants to feel like his actions do good in the world? Maybe he wants to feel like a leader? Some other reason, perhaps?

You could explore that in how he interacts with Goh's Pokemon and wild ones/belonging to strangers whilst also developing whatever his interest is on top of that. He could be put in situations where he has to choose between his interests/Goh and helping a group of Pokemon or something in these lines, providing a moral conflict whilst also boosting the audience's understanding of his character and putting some of his decisions into more context.

We all know what we got instead but there was so much wasted potential with this character and that's a shame.

Last edited:

xinfernapex

Sinnoh Champion
Definitely Inteleon.

Cinderace was handled okay, his evolutions were a bit rushed but at least he got a few battles as Raboot. Yeah he’s Goh’s starter but other main characters have had their main Pokemon handled worse IMO, for example Mallows Tsareena and Lana’s Primarina (as a Brionne)

Grookey still has a chance to be done well. 60 episode to debut was ridiculous and now not using a move is just making it worse, but at least he’s there in every episode. He may not be relevant in them but he has his moments. I think he should evolve all the way, but he should evolve into Thwackey quickly and stay that way until near the end of the series to flesh him out more. It’s still too soon to tell for him.

Inteleon was the worst because of how neglected he was as Drizzile. Personally, I think as a Sobble he was done better than Cinderace as a Scorbunny. He evolved at a decent time, but his evolution into Inteleon was just poor. The actual episode was good but it literally went from crybaby to smug spy in less than 20 episodes. It’s like seeing two completely different Pokemon since he had no time as a Drizzile to develop from crybaby to spy. Thats what that evolutionary stage is all about and it was just ignored. Inteleon is looking to appear more now but it feels like Sobble just evolved straight into Inteleon and skipped the Drizzile stage (which is what it expected tbf lol).

D

Deleted member 384931

With this being the series that feels the most corporate-made, they are some of the clearer victims of that fact. They're just embodiments of their cliché appearances and dex entries. Who didn't expect Sobble to be a crybaby? But can you say the same about Ash's Gligar? That's where the fun was.
I know right, the pokémon are clichés.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Grookey. Simply because it didn't join Ash.

that's not good reasoning.

i'm honestly glad Ash didn't get a new starter for once since i'm tired of them being seen and felt as "locks" for him each new gen, with 1-3 of them ending up on his team by default, so i welcomed him not getting one as a good change up.

I will agree though that the circumstances of Grookey's obtainment could've been done better, which is why i choose it more over the other 2, the fact it hasn't battled at all since Goh caught it is another problem.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
YO Cinderace fans!
I've been meaning to ask this.

Considering a lot of you guys are upset by Cinderace no longer being by Goh's side all the time...

Do you think that letting Goh have all 3 of the Starters was a mistake?

I've even seen some people say that Inteleon and Grookey don't have any chemistry with Goh like how Cinderace does

(Tbh I kinda agree with that.)

(Remember that Ash and Chloe exist and tbh I feel like a lot problems with the Galar Starters would be reduced if they all had a different trainer each)

Last edited:

Red and Blue

YO Cinderace fans!

Considering a lot of you guys are upset by Cinderace no longer being by Goh's side all the time...

I've even seen some people say that Inteleon and Grookey don't have any chemistry with Goh like how Cinderace does

(Tbh I kinda agree with that.)

(Remember that Ash and Chloe exist and tbh I feel like a lot problems with the Galar Starters would be reduced if they all had a different trainer each)
I'm not sure if it would have been fixed everything but it might of been better. At least if Sobble went to Ash they might of handled its evolution into Inteleon a lot differently.

Though I don't think Grookey under Koharu would have been much better then it with Go

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Nowadays? Its treated like a side character who's only slightly appears more than the rest of Goh's Lab Pokémon, and the closest thing it has to an episode focusing on itself since it became a Cinderace is a Gag Filler Episode that's shared with Lucario.
Cinderace has had more screentime and appearances than any pokemon that isn't Pikachu.
Sobble barely got much development to munch on before being forced to evolve into a Drizzile
I don't know what you are talking about, Sobble had massive development from how it acted in the episodes after being caught up to its temperament when it evolved.
Both of it's Evolutions were rushed, and I'll never forgive the writer's for shoving Drizzile in a cave for nearly 20 episodes

The only silver lining is that (if the upcoming previews are an indicator) the Writer's might have more plans for Inteleon down the line.

Still won't change the fact that they denied it any onscreen development in it's previous stage
The writers clearly plan on showcasing Inteleon more. Also there was development over the 2 episodes we had with Drizzile, and the period it disappeared is no more than what any of Ash's pokemon sans Pikachu have gone through.
And it also has a bit of a habit of causing problems for the Protagonists and getting off scott free without facing consequences.

And of course we can't forget how it took the writer's 60 FREAKING EPISODES to debut the dang thing and still haven't done much of anything with it.

Like I said, maybe it's still too early to judge Grookey. For now we'll have to wait and see.
Isn't a lack of consequences fairly common for gag pokemon, Eevee is probably complicit in at least half of Grookeys mischief.

Grookey not debuting for 59 episodes is only unusual given that it is a starter, however it now is the most frequently appearing pokemon that isn't Pikachu. As for what what is has and hasn't done, that seems to be examining it through the stereotypical pokemon expectation, not battling and not using a move.

Sobble took 34 episodes to evolve (26 to express interest in doing so), and Grookey will be going on 27 episodes by the time the current batch is done. I would probably agree that Grookey is developing slower than the other 2 given that Scorbunny had evolved and gone through its first personality change, while Sobble had overcome most of its insecurity by the same time following their debuts.

The writers may have decided to avoid giving Grookey battles as a base stage pokemon and to focus on its mischievous nature until it evolves and has a personality shift. Just Like Sobbles early battles led to it subbing out because of crying, and Grookeys almost battle against Tropius had it lose focus.

If Grookey does evolve when it finally does actually battle, then we will have still gotten plenty of Grookey focus leading up to the event. The only issue with it evolving on its first battle are the people who want the anime to replicate the games combat xp, or just have an issue with Goh. Dragonair evolved in its first episode OUTSIDE of battle. But Ash's pokemon tend to get a free pass.
YO Cinderace fans!

No I don't think it was a mistake, Ideally I would have wanted all 3 of Goh's starters to be walking pokemon and fully evolved, but I understand that there are animation limitations to take into account.

Given Ash's pokemon hardly appear, and Koharu isn't usually around, I don't see either of those really changing anything.

This topic should really be 'Which of Ash or Goh's main pokemon got done the dirtiest?', because really allot of the issues put forth can be attributed to both groups.

I don’t really want Grookey to fully evolve because it’s cute as it is. Seeing Thwackey would be cool though

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Boy, all of them are equally horrible.

Scorbunny invoked the "good bye, Pikachu" thing too fast, evolved so fast that makes you wonder how the hell it didn't go through a Charizard phase (even Charizard had more battles in its bag than the bunny), and barely has any chemistry with anyone.

Sobble felt like an afterthought once it evolved into Drizzile. Its capture was stupid.

Grookey's capture had to be the stupidest capture I've ever seen in the anime because all Goh had to do was sleep and leave the window open (some people have the audacity to shrug like we've seen this before, but it was never THIS easy and lazy), is annoying, and feels like it's going to be a little monkey for a while just so Goh has a cute critter out the most. And if not, Goh basically does almost nothing to even deserve every evolution.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
All of them
Scorbunny and Sobble evolved way too quickly without doing anything at all. Sobble and Grookey's captures were the worst ones of the series. Cinderace will be forgotten once the series is over which you can't say about Psyduck, Croagunk, Piplup, Axew, and heck even some of the SM mains

Way too many Pokemon that none of them got the proper attention....
Nobody should have all three starters. At least people can't say it's just an Ash problem anymore...

Not a single one of his evolutions were earned in the slightest. Instead of wasting time on some stupid personalityless flower evolving, that could have done to further developing a starter

D

Deleted member 384931

Wonder how Thrackey will disobey Gou.
It gets boring, three middle stages with personality issues. Who will replace Grookey as shouldermon tho?

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Cinderace has had more screentime and appearances than any pokemon that isn't Pikachu.
This **** never made sense to me either, Aceburn appears frequently and remains Go's go-facto fighting Pokémon. Its partner "Lucario" was the one who faded into obscurity along with all other Satoshi catches after their initial development and captures. But no Aceburn remained quirky and apart of episodes regularly from helping GO with the Dugtrio to thawing the scientist and catching Gantle, or helping the Tairetsu. I don't get where this meme came from? It's especially surprising Aceburn remains on status as a Pochama/Pikachu-like walking 'mon while fully-evolved.
I don't know what you are talking about, Sobble had massive development from how it acted in the episodes after being caught up to its temperament when it evolved.

The writers clearly plan on showcasing Inteleon more. Also there was development over the 2 episodes we had with Drizzile, and the period it disappeared is no more than what any of Ash's pokemon sans Pikachu have gone through.
Yeah, the writers were rotating through starters and people ignore Gengar and Kamonegi's little vacations. Did the onion duck get caught then job to Saito then disappear for like 20 episodes even missing the Black Night arc.?
Grookey not debuting for 59 episodes is only unusual given that it is a starter, however it now is the most frequently appearing pokemon that isn't Pikachu. As for what what is has and hasn't done, that seems to be examining it through the stereotypical pokemon expectation, not battling and not using a move.

Sobble took 34 episodes to evolve (26 to express interest in doing so), and Grookey will be going on 27 episodes by the time the current batch is done. I would probably agree that Grookey is developing slower than the other 2 given that Scorbunny had evolved and gone through its first personality change, while Sobble had overcome most of its insecurity by the same time following their debuts.

The writers may have decided to avoid giving Grookey battles as a base stage pokemon and to focus on its mischievous nature until it evolves and has a personality shift. Just Like Sobbles early battles led to it subbing out because of crying, and Grookeys almost battle against Tropius had it lose focus.
Likely wanted to get Inteleon fully-evolved and in action (predominantly with Project Mew as a spy-like character thematically) as well as providing a in narrative reason given Sarunori is a Gatcha Vending Pokémon so maybe the twist is it's actually super insanely strong and talented like Kamukamu hence they don't want to reveal its strength and may have a different route planned for it given its evolutions' fiesty nature.
If Grookey does evolve when it finally does actually battle, then we will have still gotten plenty of Grookey focus leading up to the event. The only issue with it evolving on its first battle are the people who want the anime to replicate the games combat xp, or just have an issue with Goh. Dragonair evolved in its first episode OUTSIDE of battle. But Ash's pokemon tend to get a free pass.

No I don't think it was a mistake, Ideally I would have wanted all 3 of Goh's starters to be walking pokemon and fully evolved, but I understand that there are animation limitations to take into account.

Given Ash's pokemon hardly appear, and Koharu isn't usually around, I don't see either of those really changing anything.

This topic should really be 'Which of Ash or Goh's main pokemon got done the dirtiest?', because really allot of the issues put forth can be attributed to both groups.
Yeah, it's a cast thing not a Go, thing. Even Wanpachi and Barri-chan have disappeared from the relevance they had in earlier episodes.