• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which of Goh's Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of the Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Grookey

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All of Them tbh....

Votes: 46 51.7%

• Total voters

BobbbidyBob

I think Scorbunny had a great start

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
All of them.

Cinderace should've been allowed to walk around with Goh and co. We don't have a third wheel anymore (only sometimes when they want to show off Eevee's human) so Cinderace could take that spot
It’s obvious: It’s Grookey. Like essentially every other grass starter except Sceptile and Bulbasaur. Bayleef was forced to share screentime with Bulba, Torterra was screwed over in the end, Snivy got nothing, entire Chespin line was fked over, Rowlet did nothing over half of the time and was just screen filler with it always constantly and annoyingly sleeping.

And Grookey is just screen filler and a nuisance.
Rowlett at least had a character. Might not have been everyone's favorite (not my cup of tea) but at least it had presence.

Chespin is the one who got it worse than them all
When he was introduced as a Scorbunny, he was helping a group of Nickit with no discernible motive. It seemed as though something was compelling him to help innocent Pokemon, so lets put aside the discussion on whether he's interested in battling or dancing for a minute because we are looking at some potentially great character setup here, why not explore why he's helping other Pokemon?
It's much more simple and (kind of) addressed in the show.

He is just kind and like helping out pokémon who can't defend themselves. Simply put, it's a "big brother instinct".

Ace is just that cool brother we all want to have who would stand up for us when we can't do something without help or who will support us when we need.
Inteleon was the worst because of how neglected he was as Drizzile. Personally, I think as a Sobble he was done better than Cinderace as a Scorbunny. He evolved at a decent time, but his evolution into Inteleon was just poor. The actual episode was good but it literally went from crybaby to smug spy in less than 20 episodes. It’s like seeing two completely different Pokemon since he had no time as a Drizzile to develop from crybaby to spy. Thats what that evolutionary stage is all about and it was just ignored. Inteleon is looking to appear more now but it feels like Sobble just evolved straight into Inteleon and skipped the Drizzile stage (which is what it expected tbf lol).
I feel that way with the Scorbunny-Raboot evolution too. They tried to address it but a part of me didn't really "bought" the idea even if I grew to like his Raboot phase.
YO Cinderace fans!
I've been meaning to ask this.

Considering a lot of you guys are upset by Cinderace no longer being by Goh's side all the time...

Do you think that letting Goh have all 3 of the Starters was a mistake?
No.

The issue isn't Goh or Ash or anime!Leaf or you-name-it having all 3 starters.

It's about how they are handled and how their development and growth correlates with their trainer. They could use some interaction among themselves as well since the show always drops the ball on this for some reason.
Scorbunny's evolution to Raboot was rushed, and while it had that emo phase and a good amount of screentime, once it fully evolved to Cinderace it was simply demoted to the background because it wasn't "cute and marketable" anymore. Very bad for what is supposed to be Goh's equivalent to Pikachu.
What? Cinderace is cuter than Eevee, Grookey and Yamper together.

Just because he is about the same height as Ash and Goh doesn't mean, he can't cute. If anything he is cuter as Cinderace than he ever was as Raboot (though Raboot did have some cute moments)
They should really introduce mechanic to be able to devolve your Pokemon back to their Shouldermon stage.

It just seems way more convenient.
Believe or not, you kind of got your wish to an extent.

The manga Pokémon Horizon had the protagonist's Rockruff evolve to Lycanroc Midnight then return being a Rockruff.

(Sounds too Digimon for you? As for trivia, know that manga's been written by a certain Tenya Yabuno, the same artist who worked on the Digimon V-Tamer manga and who did the designs for the currently running Digimon Ghost Game. Oddly enough for what I've read, in that digimanga, the digimon's evolution are permanent. Also, as I typed that I just realized that Gammamon's being able to alternate his champion evolutions is kind of similar to Akira's Rockruff being able to go evolve into either Midnight or Midday lol)
Somewhat related to my original topic but what the hell happened to the interaction between Goh's Starters?

Remember when Cinderace was supposed to be an older brother to Sobble?

They haven't interacted since the latter became a Drizzile.

Now they're both fully evolved and have yet to share even a single frame together.

Remember when Cinderace was ecstatic when Sobble evolved?

Does Cinderace even know his brother has become an Inteleon?
Of course Ace knows.

While Goh was babysitting baby Grookey and sleeping with it, Ace probably went with Intelleon to hang out and celebrate its evolution.

(not in a ship way, but two brothers going to late night parties as a way to have fun. But NOT in a romantic, dirty minded way)
You can go find threads discussing the treatment of starter Pokémon in the past and see that people have always had issue with how they were treated. Ash’s Johto starters, May’s Torchic most of the time, Brock’s Mudkip, Ash’s Snivy, Clemont’s Chespin, & Lana’s Popplio are all starters I remember people criticizing for similar reasons.

I think people are complaining about how Cinderace hasn’t done much of significance after evolution after it had a decent storyline with Go as a Scorbunny & Raboot. This criticism extends to pretty much all of the main Journeys Pokémon
You know what hurts me the most about Chespin? What really gets on my nerves.

I KNEW he was doomed the moment I found out he wasn't going to neither Ash or even Serena.

Yes, I always talk about that to the point of being an annoying Grookey but it still baffles me that this one prediction I had was even more accurate than I thought. Yup, I was expecting it to be bad but not as bad as it ended being.

Hurt even more when Ash didn't even get the hot-blooded Quilladin which would have been a great way to use Chesnaught later and give Ash an alternative that didn't involve bringing Goodra back.
Frankly, all of them. But I chose Sarunori in particular because it's my favorite Gen VIII Starter Pokemon, and I had higher hopes for it. I personally think that Gou's Sarunori being treated as a plushie is vexing, especially since it doesn't even know any attacks. I thought that Messon was irritating as well, but at least it evolved and became more likable. Ironically the opposite happened with Hibanny: I liked it more in its base stage compared to its evolved forms.
To be fair, a lot of pokémon are treated as plushies in this show. Grookey only stands out because he doesn't use pokémon moves besides the whole healing plants thing.

I will not get over that Brock’s Marshtomp hasn’t even been acknowledged after it left in AG. It’s been forgotten at this point sad Marshtomp face

D

Deleted member 384931

WHY dont they want to show Grookey using a move?

Btw final starters have like one personality treat. Being a happy bunny like Cinderance or acting like a spy like Inteleon , being a ninja like Greninja , liking to fight like Charizard, Sceptile playing it cool or liking to sing like Primarina. Mays Blazikens and Satoshis Incineroar personality treat idk and Infernape is an exception I guess. Torterra's is "likes to lose".

Its sad, but basic and middle stages starters have more development than most fully evolved startersYou can argue battle bond Greninja and Blaze Infernape, but that is it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pteranodonte

WHY dont they want to show Grookey using a move?

Btw final starters have like one personality treat. Being a happy bunny like Cinderance or acting like a spy like Inteleon , being a ninja like Greninja , liking to fight like Charizard, Sceptile playing it cool or liking to sing like Primarina. Mays Blazikens and Satoshis Incineroar personality treat idk and Infernape is an exception I guess. Torterra's is "likes to lose".

Its sad, but basic and middle stages starters have more development than most fully evolved startersYou can argue battle bond Greninja and Blaze Infernape, but that is it.
More than 10 years has passed and I am still angry for how they shitted on Torterra.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I was just thinking.

How will the Galar Starters G-Max forms even be showcased?

Is Goh gonna showcase all 3 of them?

How the hell is that gonna work? This show's about to entire its 3rd year. How can they condense all of that?

Mythical-Moonlight

Some very insane villain arc with Rose going nuts with D-max.
I've seen Someone on Twitter say, A lot of people are going to drop this show if Inteleon's G-Max form debuts before Cinderace's but I really don't see how that matters?

G-Max is handled badly in the Anime and both Inteleon's and Cinderace's will be handled badly no matter which one we see first

STICKTOPIA

All of them are a disaster especially inteleon. From the capture to evolving into inteleon just did not make a lick of any sense at all. It’s been in it’s hiding spot after evolving from sobble and just comes out of no where and evolves into inteleon. Most of its time as a sobble was crying and hiding. And because it’s my favorite galar starter makes me more upset. That’s why Ash should have had it instead.

Mythical-Moonlight

All of them are a disaster especially inteleon. From the capture to evolving into inteleon just did not make a lick of any sense at all. It’s been in it’s hiding spot after evolving from sobble and just comes out of no where and evolves into inteleon. Most of its time as a sobble was crying and hiding. And because it’s my favorite galar starter makes me more upset. That’s why Ash should have had it instead.
Had get to rush to get an Inteleon on the cast once they saw how the Japan fandom liked it and Goh was the only character with a Sobble within a 5 mile radius
(The writers really screwed themselves by hardly giving us any rivals from Galar huh?)

Not sure if it would've been any better with Ash seeing how his Pokémon get no screentime either

STICKTOPIA

Had get to rush to get an Inteleon on the cast once they saw how the Japan fandom liked it and Goh was the only character with a Sobble within a 5 mile radius
(The writers really screwed themselves by hardly giving us any rivals from Galar huh?)

Not sure if it would've been any better with Ash seeing how his Pokémon get no screentime either
The way they’re handling ash’s Pokémon as well isn’t the greatest either. If this poll was about his Pokémon, I’d be writing a much longer paragraph lol.

and yea this whole rushing thing in general is a disaster.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I've seen Someone on Twitter say, A lot of people are going to drop this show if Inteleon's G-Max form debuts before Cinderace's but I really don't see how that matters?

Because, Ace is, well, his ace (pun unintended). His starter pokémon. So if he Goh should use a gimmick most or any of the others can use, then, the first he should do such is Cinderace.

Not that I agree with it or anything - not a dealbreaker for me - but I can see where they are going.

D

Deleted member 384931

I dont really care about any of the starters that Gou has. I never saw a series of Pokemon like this one where starters and other main pokemon get forgotten so easly. BW and Jothos handeling seems amazing compared to this series

Pokemonfan5

Grookey maybe improve in future but Inteleon is definitely got the worst treatment, before that actor Inteleon episode Sobble was just there doing almost nothing, evolve very randomly than as drizzle he disappeared completely except for small appearance but evolve into Inteleon in his very next episode, it's like writers want to fill Goh Pokedex as quick as possible without putting much effort.

LucasMV

I was surprised to see Cinderace disappear from Go's side after evolving. I saw it as his Pikachu-like partner, since it's his first pokemon after all. I get that it's too big to be outside of the pokeball all the time, but it went from being always there, to only being there when there's a battle.

Same with Ash's Lucario, he was super focused on as a Riolu, then evolved and they forgot he existed unless there's a battle. Same with Sirfetch'd actually.
Come to think of it, Pokemon development and showcasing in JN isn't very good I guess. SM had a much more natural way of showing the Pokemon being always out there and interacting with each other and the trainers. The difference with JN in that aspect is truly jarring.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Come to think of it, Pokemon development and showcasing in JN isn't very good I guess. SM had a much more natural way of showing the Pokemon being always out there and interacting with each other and the trainers. The difference with JN in that aspect is truly jarring.
I'm always baffled by how they went from a near perfect formula when it comes to character interactions and organic screentime/development, that happened just 1 series prior and under the same Executive Director, to whatever JN is doing.

On top of that, SM had the disadvantage of handling 6 main cast member on top of all their Pokemon (not even counting other supporting and recurring characters), that's nearly ~25 characters compared to a dozen now.

Soniman

Break the Limit
This why I I'm confused when people suggest giving the starters to Ash as if he's a safe haven from the bafflingly bad writing descions regarding the Pokémon when it'd be the same deal with him, except with a LITTLE BIT more battling involved (reminder and entire year separated Gengars battles with Volkner and the one before that, unacceptable).

And even that is questionable because at least Goh is more likely to send out his Pokémon in random fillers to deal with whatever conflict that week is while Ash outright refuses to if it's not PWC related

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm always baffled by how they went from a near perfect formula when it comes to character interactions and organic screentime/development, that happened just 1 series prior and under the same Executive Director, to whatever JN is doing.
Actually, they treated most of Kukui's team weirdly by never having him show them out and about either. The most insulting was his Empoleon, who was stated to help him in...whatever research he does outside of Alola. Hell, even after his defeat, his Incineroar is not allowed to roam inside his own house.

Mythical-Moonlight

Seeing things like this makes me even more sad.

Where the hell was any of this in the actual show?

Did the person who made this come from an alternative universe where the Pokémon were allowed to interact and Drizzile actually stayed with the group and his Bro relationship with Cinderace remained intact?

Can I please go to that universe as well? :(

index.php

Last edited: