• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which of these water types is the best for frontier battles in Platinum?

Ditto B1tch

I have already Vaporeon, I needed it to complete the first history of the game, now I want to win all the towers of the Battle Frontier, but I think that there may be other Pokemons with better perfomance. I am thinking on Gyarados and Milotic, but I'm still in doubt which of the three would be the best to go into frontier battles. Which do you think that is supposed to be the best water Pokemon for frontier battles? Remember: I already have Vaporeon.

134.png

Vaporeon (bulky water)
@Leftovers
Nature: Modest (+S Atk, - Atk)
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 6 Sp Def
Ability: Water Absorb (absorb water moves and converts into HP)
-Ice Beam
-Dive
-Toxic
-Protect

The fact Vaporeon got A LOT of HP allows it to stand in field and count on Toxic to defeat most of the enemies. His ability is most of the times useless as no opponent will use a water move at it (maybe on a double battle as Surf and Muddy Water are able to hit all Pokemons in field). Should I replace Dive with Surf or Hydro Pump? I taught Dive because I gain one extra turn to Leftovers heals HP and foe gets damage from poison (which is doubled on the next turn).

350.png

Milotic (special sweeper)
@MysticWater
EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Sp Defense, 6 HP
Ability: Marvel Scale (double defense if gets a status condition)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Pulse
-Mirror Coat

Much a coincidence with Cynthia's Milotic's moveset, but it can't be built any better (I could replace Surf and Ice Beam with Hydro Pump and Blizzard, but their Accuracy is a risk). No much to say about this Milotic. It was going to be a special sweeper. To resist to this Milotic it was needed a special wall like Blissey, or a high special-defensive Pokemon like Snorlax.

130.png

Gyarados (physical sweeper)
@Focus Sash/Shell Bell
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -S Atk)
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Sp Defense, 6 Spd
Ability: Intimidate (lowers foe's defense when switched out)
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

I have to use Swords Dance first than any other move unless that one of Gyarados' three damage moves matches up well against foe's type. In case foe got an electric move, Focus Sash will prevent a instant knock out when Gyarados' HP were fully restored. Another suggestion as hold item could be Shell Bell as Gyarados usually does massive damage.

CMHennigan

first things first, vaporeon should not be modest and 252 sp.Atk. You only have one actual attack which uses the stat, ice beam, as dive is a physical attack. If you're going for the "evade and do poison damage" strategy, which is a decent one, then swap the 252 Sp.Atk EVs to balance out your defenses. Keep the HP EVs where they are, and you can keep dive if you choose, but surf will give you more damage, which will help you on poison/steel types which can't be poisoned. Recover> Mirror coat on Milotic. Dragon Dance > Swords Dance on gyarados, As after one DD it will most likely be faster than the opponent, and will be able to strike first next round for the kill. SD makes you hit harder, but if they hit you, and you survive with sash, SD, then next round they hit you first, it does you no good. Also gyarados should be 252 atk 252 speed 6 hp

edonub

I have already Vaporeon, I needed it to complete the first history of the game, now I want to win all the towers of the Battle Frontier, but I think that there may be other Pokemons with better perfomance. I am thinking on Gyarados and Milotic, but I'm still in doubt which of the three would be the best to go into frontier battles. Which do you think that is supposed to be the best water Pokemon for frontier battles? Remember: I already have Vaporeon.

134.png

Vaporeon (bulky water)
@Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 6 Sp Def
Ability: Water Absorb (absorb water moves and converts into HP)
-Ice Beam
-Dive
-Toxic
-Protect

The fact Vaporeon got A LOT of HP allows it to stand in field and count on Toxic to defeat most of the enemies. His ability is most of the times useless as no opponent will use a water move at it (maybe on a double battle as Surf and Muddy Water are able to hit all Pokemons in field). Should I replace Dive with Surf or Hydro Pump? I taught Dive because I gain one extra turn to Leftovers heals HP and foe gets damage from poison (which is doubled on the next turn).

350.png

Milotic (special sweeper)
@MysticWater
EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Sp Defense, 6 HP
Ability: Marvel Scale (double defense if gets a status condition)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Pulse
-Mirror Coat

Much a coincidence with Cynthia's Milotic's moveset, but it can't be built any better (I could replace Surf and Ice Beam with Hydro Pump and Blizzard, but their Accuracy is a risk). No much to say about this Milotic. It was going to be a special sweeper. To resist to this Milotic it was needed a special wall like Blissey, or a high special-defensive Pokemon like Snorlax.

130.png

Gyarados (physical sweeper)
@Focus Sash/Shell Bell
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -S Atk)
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Sp Defense, 6 Spd
Ability: Intimidate (lowers foe's defense when switched out)
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

I have to use Swords Dance first than any other move unless that one of Gyarados' three damage moves matches up well against foe's type. In case foe got an electric move, Focus Sash will prevent a instant knock out when Gyarados' HP were fully restored. Another suggestion as hold item could be Shell Bell as Gyarados usually does massive damage.

Vaporeon is pretty frail on the defensive side, so if you want a well rounded wall, go with a bold nature and 252 hp 252 def EVs. replace Ice Beam with Wish which works well with toxic and protect to stall out opponents.

About milotic, Recover is a must, Mirror Coat is pretty terrible as the battle tower sports some pretty weird sets (physical moves on special attackers are often present), so you risk wasting turns. Not to mention they can always set up or status you. You never know what the AI is gonna do for certain.

About Dragon Pulse, it has pretty much the same coverage as Ice Beam (as in, hitting dragons). No sense in keeping them both. Use Toxic instead. to stall with recover those you can't kill with water+ice.

As for Gyarados, you mean Dragon Dance, right? much better option on a bulky, kind of slow sweeper such as Gyarados. Waterfall over Aqua Tail, once you're at +2 or something, you'll do massive damage regardless, so you'd rather not miss and get a KO than risk missing and lose. 10% seems little but it happens if you're trying to win 50 matches in a row. And quite often too. As for EVs, go HP instead of special def. Much better overall bulk.

About which one to choose, well, I don't know what else are you using, so I can't really recommend you anything.
Gyarados can setup on a lot of things though, you could run an even bulkier set with lefties and Taunt, and then you can pretty much go to +6 on anything that's not packed with electric or rock moves.

Rosez66

Ace trainer
Throw a flame orb and recover on milotic to activate its ability of the bat and recover for longevity also replace dragon pulse for toxic because you don't get sSTAB of dragon pulse and the only super effective hit it gets it achieved by ice beam which also has a higher base power. You may be thinking head tab out he final move slot with Morris coat? Well get rid of it prediction with a status isn't the best because you can't afford to waste a turn replace it for protect of something like that.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Milotic prefers a more Defensive Role ,so a Toxic Stalling set with Substitute + Protect is better used. The EV's should be 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 SpD if so. Otherwise use 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 SpD on the Offensive set , and consider Specs.

Same thing with Gyarados , run 110 Hp / 158 Atk / 252 Spe for the EV's. Waterfall > Aqua Tail for the Accuracy.