• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Of Tobias’s Pokemon Was The Superior Battler?

Who’s Tobias’s most viable Pokémon?

• Total voters

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
TBH it was somewhat on the glass canony side, though what some people like to believe that Darkrai was so much of a glass canon that Hercross and Gible weakened it severely enough which allowed Sceptile to land the final blow to defeat it and finish the job, even after it used Dream Eater twice, not once, it pretty much ridiculous and does not make any sense. It was majority of Sceptile's work with some amount of help from Heracross and Gible(that too majorly being recovered by Dream Eater).

And different Pokemon have different strengths and weaknessess. Darkrai being on the glass canony side does not make it any less powerful. It's just Darkrai's strength lies in its sheer raw power of Dark Pulse/Ice Beam, and it deadly status combo of Dark Void/Dream Eater, whilst its weakness lies on the tanky side.

I guess it more comes down to how you define glass cannon. When I hear that term, it makes me think of something that has trouble surviving at all, despite its damage output. Darkrai certainly didn't have an issue surviving battles, even if its not a tank.

Genaller

Silver Soul
I think we're both arguing different things here. Everything you've said here is speculation. It's really good speculation, but it just can't proven. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but that doesn't mean it's factual either. The only reason I left my original post is because it phrased in such a way that you were passing off speculation as fact, and no matter how good the speculation is, that just shouln't be done.
Well I hate to correct you, but Brock very explicitly says that Focus Energy makes it easier for Cranidos to target weak spots (a.k.a allows for better placement of attacks) which is literally what “higher critical hit ratio” would tanslate to in the anime. I’m sorry, but the existence of “critical hits” in the anime is an objective fact (even if those precise words aren’t explicitly mentioned). Also “speculation” isn’t an entirely accurate word here since I am providing evidence that supports (though doesn’t necessarily guarantee) many of my conclusions though I’m guessing we may not share the same definition of the word “speculation”.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I guess it more comes down to how you define glass cannon. When I hear that term, it makes me think of something that has trouble surviving at all, despite its damage output. Darkrai certainly didn't have an issue surviving battles, even if its not a tank.
Well then maybe its deadly status combo of Dark Void/Dream Eater was the reason it managed to survive so many battles. That combo allowed it regain health from its opponents, in the process recovering the damage it took the opponents. That explains it quite well.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well I hate to correct you, but Brock very explicitly says that Focus Energy makes it easier for Cranidos to target weak spots (a.k.a allows for better placement of attacks) which is literally what “higher critical hit ratio” would tanslate to in the anime. I’m sorry, but the existence of “critical hits” in the anime is an objective fact (even if those precise words aren’t explicitly mentioned). Also “speculation” isn’t an entirely accurate word here since I am providing evidence that supports (though doesn’t necessarily guarantee) many of my conclusions though I’m guessing we may not share the same definition of the word “speculation”.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong about the Critical Hits existing. You convinced me that it's at least a possibility.

When I said speculation, I meant it as theorizing with evidence, but without proof. You provided a lot of evidence, making everything very solid speculation, but it lacked the definitive proof to be able to assert it as fact.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong about the Critical Hits existing. You convinced me that it's at least a possibility.
Glad to hear it :).

When I said speculation, I meant it as theorizing with evidence, but without proof. You provided a lot of evidence, making everything very solid speculation, but it lacked the definitive proof to be able to assert it as fact.
Ah okay, then it’s fine. Speculation usually means forming a conjecture without good evidence which is what I thought you were asserting. Those conclusions definitely aren’t facts in the same manner as Mathematical Theorems or Scientic Laws.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Yeah I’m surprised that Darkrai even has so many votes; it is not all that strong IMHO. Latios on the other hand makes complete sense.

nickdt

Latios, since Dakrai used Dark Void too negate damage, else it would have gone down sooner.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Darkrai seemed pretty tough if we simply go by how many of Satoshi's Pokemon it defeated. Then again, it took Pikachu's best efforts to draw with Latios, which says a lot about Latios's strength as well.