• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which old character could be the current Kanto Champion?

Psajdak

Think it's Gary?

He definitely always felt like he would crush the current Iris with Weedle if he wanted...

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
IMO Ash, Gary, or Lance are the only real contenders without any meme response like AJ lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shigeru would make sense I suppose, although I personally think that his researcher goal would take priority over any theoretical desire to become a Champion.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I think Gary wants to become a researcher rather than a competitive battler now.

I always liked Ritchie. He got a bad rap for Ash's first League Defeat. But I really blame Ash/Team Rocket for that. Ritchie is a smart, brave kid who treated his pokemon well. And he's native to Kanto. Also, Ritchie clearly had similar talent to Ash, and Ash is a champion now.

But I'd be fine with quite a lot of Ash's more formidable old rivals becoming a champion in parallel with his own success really. Alain, Paul, Harrison, Tyson, Sawyer etc.

I think Gary wants to become a researcher rather than a competitive battler now.

I always liked Ritchie. He got a bad rap for Ash's first League Defeat. But I really blame Ash/Team Rocket for that. Ritchie is a smart, brave kid who treated his pokemon well. And he's native to Kanto. Also, Ritchie clearly had similar talent to Ash, and Ash is a champion now.

But I'd be fine with quite a lot of Ash's more formidable old rivals becoming a champion in parallel with his own success really. Alain, Paul, Harrison, Tyson, Sawyer etc.
Alain and Tyson already won a league

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
What about AJ? He was pretty strong and while it’s true we never saw him at the Indigo League, it is possible that he either was in the top ten of the finals (we never did see who was in the finals) or he took part in the following year’s League. AJ did handle TRio singlehandedly which is very rare for a one off character to do. I could see AJ being the Kanto Champion.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I thought in the games Johto and Kanto shared a league? Wouldn’t that make Lance the champion by proxy?

AJ97

Alain and Tyson already won a league
They both won the regional league which isn't as big of an accomplishment in the grand scheme of things. The regional leagues are often held and the winners of the same go on to take part in the Champions League ("According to Cynthia"). This probably refers to the Post Elite Four/ Regional Champion challenge. While Alain and Tyson did win their respective regional leagues, they weren't the regional champions.

No, he is still the champion of Kanto.
They actually refer to him as an elite four member in Journeys. That said, the whole thing is silly because if Lance in theory is the second strongest trainer in the world, one would wonder who he lost his title to as that person would take up this spot.

Considering how the anime was open to Making Iris the Champion because of the games, I don't see why Gary couldn't be one. Iris was inferior to a very incompetent version of Ash and still went on to be Champion. Gary despite retiring from battling to pursue research, still managed to defeat Post Battle Frontier Ash. Gary could very well be a Top Researcher / Champion.

I mean,
1) Steven is a Regional Champion and the guy likes digging for Rocks.
2) Cynthia also spends more time exploring ruins, studying history, etc.
3) Even in the anime, Diantha is a famous movie star.

So considering how Blue/(The in-game Gary) is the Kanto champion in the games, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if they show that Gary along with his research, kept up with his training and is now Kanto's strongest trainer.

Maybe he can be the 8th strongest trainer in the PWC and Ash can defeat Gary and take his place in the Master Class.

Last edited: