• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which PMD Game Should I Play First?

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
First off, I wasn't sure if I should place this in the PMD help thread or let it have a thread of its own, so mods, feel free to move this if needed. Thanks a bunch! :3

Alright, I have not played a PMD game yet, but really wanna get into the series... I was wondering which game would be the best for a first time PMD (me) to play. There are so many to choose from, I am not sure which one would be best to get... and if you should play them in order, or if some are better than others. I was thinking about getting PMD: Explorers of the Sky, but I wanna get opinions from some other people first before I decide about which one I want to get. :)

P.S. I don't have a 3DS (well, at least not yet) so please don't suggest the PMD game made for that system. Thanks so much in advance! :D

Rakurai

I'd play one of the Rescue Team games first, then play Sky afterwards.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
I'd play one of the Rescue Team games first, then play Sky afterwards.

Hmmm... alright. Thanks for the answer! Although I would still like some more opinions please... and maybe exact answers (as in the specific game I should play). Thanks! ;)

Rakurai

The two Rescue Team games are completely identical outside of some minor differences in the controls and the Pokemon that can be recruited, so it's almost purely a matter of what system you want to play the game on.

Sky, however, is a better version of the other Explorers games with extra content.

Last edited:

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
First off, get PMD: Blue Rescue Team, as Red is for the GB. Once you have played through that, skip EoT/EoD and play EoS. The former two are just a lot worse than the latter.

Mew The Gato

It depends. You may either want to play the Explorers versions to get into the mood completely and adore it for the rest of your life and then play the Rescue Team for the best plot in any Pokemon game ever.

Otherwise, you could play the Rescue Teams first to start loving Mystery Dungeon endlessly and then try the Explorers.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Alright, I think I will play Blue first, and THEN probably Explorers of the Sky(as I do not have a GB advance). I do wish that Red had been made for DS since I like Charmander a lot better than Squirtle, but oh well, what are you gonna do? X3 But thanks for the help everyone! :D Any more opinions are still greatly appreciated though. :) Oh, but I do have one more question: what makes the Rescue series different than the Explorers series? I'm just curious! X3

Chakra1412

I'd recommend playing the Blue first, mainly cause it's what started it all. It's great, just not as good as the others imo. Then after that play Explorers of Sky.

Only way I can really answer your question without much spoilers is: It was Chunsoft's first attempt at making a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game and using a concept like this for a Pokemon game. They used what they learned from the Rescue games to improve the later games.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Alright, I think I will play Blue first, and THEN probably Explorers of the Sky(as I do not have a GB advance). I do wish that Red had been made for DS since I like Charmander a lot better than Squirtle, but oh well, what are you gonna do? X3 But thanks for the help everyone! :D Any more opinions are still greatly appreciated though. :) Oh, but I do have one more question: what makes the Rescue series different than the Explorers series? I'm just curious! X3

The Rescue series is the original, has a awesome plot that completely differs to Explorers, and is fundamental to learning how cool the series is.

And it doesn't matter whether you get Red or Blue when it comes to the starting Pokèmon, your hero is chosen by the answers you give to the questions asked at the beginning, and if you don't get who you want, you can either start over or choose it as your partner, provided that it is a different type from your hero.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Thanks for all of the help guys, as I really appreciate it... but I just got Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team today and I am LOVING it! I am really surprised that I got Pikachu in it, but that's cool... my main partner is a Charmander. :3 I kinda made the mistake of reading Ginji's Rescue Team (the manga) before playing the game, so I kinda know how the plot is gonna go, but that's ok since I loved that book, haha! XD

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Thanks for all of the help guys, as I really appreciate it... but I just got Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team today and I am LOVING it! I am really surprised that I got Pikachu in it, but that's cool... my main partner is a Charmander. :3 I kinda made the mistake of reading Ginji's Rescue Team (the manga) before playing the game, so I kinda know how the plot is gonna go, but that's ok since I loved that book, haha! XD

Don't worry, the book ends long before the game's plot does. That's a good game to start off with anyway, Blue, it introduces the main points of the PMD series.

On another topic: my first team consisted of me as a Pikachu and my partner a Charmander also XD

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Ah ok, than that sounds perfect! Thanks! :D

OMG really? That's funny lol... I never knew that! XD

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Ah ok, than that sounds perfect! Thanks! :D

OMG really? That's funny lol... I never knew that! XD

Well, glad you finally made up your mind!

Yeah, Ginji's Rescue Team ends up being nothing like the game around the part where you fight Groudon... Not to speak of the fact that many aspects of the game were overlooked/skipped getting there. So, yeah, the endgame especially will be completely a surprise.

Don't you dare look up a walkthrough, though, it ruins the whole game. I should know, I purchased the official guide to go with the game...

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Thanks! :D

Oh OK, good... for a while there I was afraid that I had not thought before I had acted very well on reading that manga lol! XD

I won't... wasn't planning to anyway (I never, EVER try to do that unless I am getting absolutely desperate to figure out a part of a game). :p I definitely don't want to spoil the story, ESPECIALLY the end. XP

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Thanks! :D

Oh OK, good... for a while there I was afraid that I had not thought before I had acted very well on reading that manga lol! XD

I won't... wasn't planning to anyway (I never, EVER try to do that unless I am getting absolutely desperate to figure out a part of a game). :p I definitely don't want to spoil the story, ESPECIALLY the end. XP

Like Symain said, don't worry cause the Manga is incredibly different.

Except for having to beat the Legendary Birds and Groudon, and rescuing Caterpie and befriending Absol, nothing is the same.

You won't need anything to desperately figure out anythng in the game, except a Dungeon and one plot-line in the Post-Game, whose unlock requirements are rather vague <_<

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Oh OK... thanks for the heads up, dirkac! I really appreciate it... I am happy to hear that the game isn't TOO too hard to beat, and that the manga is nothing like it lol... and boy, do I love that manga for whatever reason... X3

Beebar234

Definitely BRT then EoS. The improvements in EoS will probably blow you away if you really liked the first games. I'd stay away from GtI, I personally found them very underwhelming.

The Rescue team games are good for starters, then the Explorers series, the story is really good and deep in these games ^_^