• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokémon Do You Want To See Return In The Galar Regional Dex?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Well, then... I won't post spoilers but wow... The official Dex is... Why did they pick specific Pokémon that they did for an ENGLAND based region, that is confirmed to have a frigid climate?

Because Pokémon regions don't necessarily conform to the climates of the regions they're based on. I mean, Unova has all sorts of climates, although it's based on a rather small region of the earth that, prior to urbanization, was mostly grasslands and deciduous forest.

We should have had Lillipup, Arceus-dangit!

Yeah, they're based on the Yorkshire Terrier and the Scottish Terrier, so I was surprising they didn't make the cut.

Orphalesion

Well, then... I won't post spoilers but wow... The official Dex is... Why did they pick specific Pokémon that they did for an ENGLAND based region, that is confirmed to have a frigid climate?

Tbf in the real world the UK is famous in Europe for having a cold, yet relatively mild, oceanic climate that allows several plant species from warmer parts of the world to survive there (for now anyways, global warming is about to mess that up once the golf stream collapses. Northern Europe, including England is gonna freeze, the Mediterranean is gonna heat up further, killing fish and causing forest fires. And that huge difference in climate between North and south is gonna throw tornados into central Europe. Fun times ahead for all of them.)

masterbreeder42

Beast Ball-catching Legend Wiz
First off, to understand my choices, a bit of background. I like to capture pokemon using the least effective balls possible, for bragging rights. When I battle someone, I want them to know that I consistently capture pokemon the hard way whenever I send something out. In 7th Gen, for example, that means I use a Beast Ball on everything but Ultra Beasts, and on Ultra Beasts, what I always use are Premier Balls since they take the longest to obtain significant numbers of. You may think I'm weird, and you are welcome to that opinion, but I like to do things in my own way.

As for the topic of this thread, for me, it's Shroomish/Breloom. Not for any region-specific reason, but because Breloom is an ideal pokemon for capturing others. It has access to Spore, False Swipe, and Swords Dance, and can know Flash if from Gen 6 or earlier (allowing it to avoid hits while maintaining accuracy change even if it faints). Not only that, but it is the only pokemon with any sleep move at all that has access to the Poison Heal ability. While the amount healed is superior to Leftovers, there is another, better reason to use Poison Heal over Leftovers, for when poisoned, the Breloom can't be paralyzed, burned, frozen, or put to sleep. It's really handy.
Also, I hope Galar has Durant, for a similar reason. In this case, a Durant with its Hidden Ability of Truant is an amazing tool for capturing pokemon with low catch rates. Just max out its speed and level, send it out early in the battle, and have it use Entrainment. Suddenly, instead of getting any sort of bonus from its actual ability, your target can only act every other turn, potentially doubling the amount of time you have to catch it. More than doubling it, actually, in some cases, since if it wakes up on a turn where it can't move, it can potentially be put to sleep again without acting.
Lastly, I will be somewhat irritated if both Grumpig AND Slowbro are not in the Galar Dex. Same reason as the last two, but as much more of a niche capture tool. Grumpig + Own Tempo + Skill Swap is a great way to catch pokemon knowing Thrash, Petal Dance, and Outrage. By making them unable to confuse themselves, it becomes a simple matter to capture almost every time. That's the only (likely) way it's even possible to catch a Guzzlord with anything but a Beast or Master Ball in 7th Gen, after all.

masterbreeder42

Beast Ball-catching Legend Wiz
The Starly line, maybe. After all, it's named after starlings, and they are native to Europe.

BlackButterfree

Because Pokémon regions don't necessarily conform to the climates of the regions they're based on. I mean, Unova has all sorts of climates, although it's based on a rather small region of the earth that, prior to urbanization, was mostly grasslands and deciduous forest. Yeah, they're based on the Yorkshire Terrier and the Scottish Terrier, so I was surprising they didn't make the cut.

Tbf in the real world the UK is famous in Europe for having a cold, yet relatively mild, oceanic climate that allows several plant species from warmer parts of the world to survive there (for now anyways, global warming is about to mess that up once the golf stream collapses. Northern Europe, including England is gonna freeze, the Mediterranean is gonna heat up further, killing fish and causing forest fires. And that huge difference in climate between North and south is gonna throw tornados into central Europe. Fun times ahead for all of them.)

In this interview, Masuda himself said "This region is cold, so I’ll be staying at home" when talking about the in-lore explanation for why certain Pokémon don't want to leave Home and go to Galar. I wasn't talking about England's real life climate, I was talking about how Galar is apparently even more frigid than Sinnoh, since many Sinnoh 'mons didn't make the cut, either.

Yet somehow
Bellossom and Tsareena, two fully tropical grass Pokémon who would surely wilt in the cold
are confirmed for the Regional Dex? Wouldn't they get cold? Game Freak has no consistency.

Pokemon Power

Well, the Galar Dex has been fully revealed. And there are still a few extra Pokemon that can still get in despite not being in it. Do you think now is the time to lock this thread up?