• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokémon have become Status Symbols?

srebak

Beginning Trainer
This is just something that I have recently thought about, which Pokémon have been made out to be such rare commodities that owning them is considered a status symbol and for obvious reasons Legendary Pokémon do not count since of course owning them would be extremely rare

For me personally, I can think of at least seven off the top of my head:

Dragonite and Garchomp, due to their association with champions

Charizard and Lucario, due to their frequently vaunted power

And

Persian, Braviary and Pyroar, due to the initial regal and high class vibe that they seem to bring with them

Any thoughts on all of this?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Pikachu. It's status as a mascot is so well known even among non pokemon fans. Lucario is also popular in Super Smash Bros.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Eevee due to how it became even more popular after Sylveon was revealed. It was always a popular and coveted Pokémon but within the past decade, its popularity has skyrocketed to the point it not only got its own line of merchandise but also an entire game mainly focusing on it and being its friend. And if you somehow have a Shiny female Anticipation Eevee, you have something really sought after.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Morax said:
Anything that ash owns? I mean he's the face of the franchise
I don't agree that every Pokemon species that he owns is automatically a status symbol. He barely used species such as Gamagaru (Palpitoad), Onigohri (Glalie), and Cotoise (Torkoal) just to name a few. It's been ages since we've even seen most of them in non-cameo form.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Those two limited-time event variations of Vivillon; PokeBall and Fancy. I do wonder if they'll ever be made available again?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
As a Ghost trainer, mine is Spiritomb.

It is always hard to find, even harder to obtain, and probably the hardest to properly train. I consider it a personal success every time I land myself a Spiritomb in-game.

Outside of being a Ghost trainer, I think it's safe to say Garchomp is the status symbol, thanks to Cynthia. It's like that gold pen from the 2000s; you don't need it, but having one just looks so good. lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
Those two limited-time event variations of Vivillon; PokeBall and Fancy. I do wonder if they'll ever be made available again?
I remember trying to collect all of the Viviyon patterns, but I gave up quickly since there were too many of them. I also didn't like the idea of clogging up my PC with 20 versions of the same Pokemon with only aesthetic differences between them.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I remember trying to collect all of the Viviyon patterns, but I gave up quickly since there were too many of them. I also didn't like the idea of clogging up my PC with 20 versions of the same Pokemon with only aesthetic differences between them.
It's not a bad idea, but they did go overboard with how many patterns there were. Perhaps just one for each continent (except maybe Antarctica) or like two for some of the bigger continents like Asia would've been fine, and make it more unique by giving each pattern a different secondary typing, so for example make Jungle Pattern Vivillon Bug/Grass and make it exclusive to all of South America.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
In-universe, we have Clefairy and Snubbull in Gens 1 and 2 respectively. I want to say there were multiple comments in the original games about Clefairy being coveted for its cuteness and rarity; I do remember that one girl just asking you for one near Bill's house. Snubbull's got its Pokedex entries to consider (just checked, they all say women, not necessarily rich women) and particularly the character of Madame Muchmoney in the anime.

I'd argue Eevee's rarity gives off a similar vibe in the early games but it's more challenged now. It's only a gift from the Pokemon Mansion in Celadon and then there's the mansion Mikey and his brothers lived in in the anime.