• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokemon do you think stand out from the new 5th Gen Pokemon, and previous Gens?

dragonace373

Ace Trainer
Salamence was always my favorite poke and when i heard it gets overconfidence i was like OMG. Considering Salamence usually faints at least one pokemon per battle, im kinda worried that he will stay in ubers. Ononokusa will be a decent poke with DD and sky high base attack+mold breaker and less weaknesses than salamence. I am also eager to make a baton pass blazikan with sword dance.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Ninetales and Poliwag for weather abilities.

Blaziken with Speed Boost. It's back!

Ono with the huge attack and Shanderaa with the massive Sp. Atk and Shadow Tag.

Aether13

Obviously Ononokusu, with a Base Attack of 147 this thing rocks lol. Also a personal favorite of mine is the Reckless Emboar.

Larinah

I've been a user of Serebii for awhile now and I just now got around to making an account! >.< I'm so shocked no one has mentioned Nageki!(120,100,85,30,85,45) He is, to me, what a fighting type should be. He's bulky enough to take a hit and has enough attack to lay a hurting on whatever he's facing. I really don't know if he'll be any higher than UU, but you never know! He's definitely got my attention though and I'll be trying him out in a team.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
From what I can tell, here are some competitive pokemon:

• Drizzle Politoed and Drought Ninetales - Obviously, these two shake the game.
  • Cloud Nine Altaria - a counter to the previous two.
  • Rankuruso - With Magic Guard/Dust Proof (the latter seems redundant), it also is good versus weather teams, plus it has a good HP and great Sp. Attack.
  • Ononokusu - the new Dragon on the block. Obviously can't beat out Mixmence, but he isn't Srock'd as hard (though he is hit by Spikes and T-Spikes)
  • Hihidaruma - Pretty fast, and hits like a mofo. Add either Encourage or Daruma mode ot that and you've got one powerful dude.
  • Shanderaa - Shadow tag, a good movepool, and great Sp. Attack? Bye Blissey, and so many others!
  • Gigaisu - a Sturdy lead with a good moveset, including Stealth Rock
  • Naatorei - If you make contact with this thing you die, especially with a Rugged Helmet. Add in Leech Seed, SRock and Spikes and you've got a good tank.
  • Urgamoth - Great Sp.Attack and typing, Butterfly Dance to boot.
  • Kojondo - Regeneration. YES. Also U-turn and the ability to go mixed with Aura Sphere.
  • Dageki - A good offensive guy with Strudy and solid defenses.
  • Ditto - Now actually viable with its new ability.
  • Rotom-A - at least a few, namely Rotom-H and Rotom-W for their typings and moves. Possibly Rotom-M in UU, and Rotom-F on Hail teams. Poor Rotom-S.
  • Zoroark - Able to go mixed with a good moveset, and Illusion.
  • Speed Boost Blaziken - GREAT ability with great typing. Still competes with Infernape due to inferior movepool.
  • Storm Drain Cradily - The water-type murderer.
  • Chansey and Dusclops - May overshadow their evos with the new stone in play.
  • Denchura - Compoundeyes + Thunder, with decent Speed and Sp.Attack makes an electrical beast.
  • Doryuzuu - A new RSer, with decent typing, good stats and good moves.
  • Warubiaru - Great typing with a great movepool, and good Attack and Speed. Not to mention Overconfidence.
  • Jaroda - Weird to see on the list, I know, but with Perversity it seems to me its Leaf Storm increases its Sp. Attack. Unlikely to make it out of UU.
  • Daikenki - With Shell Armor, it blocks the new auto-crit moves that bypass defenses. Not to mention it has decent mixed stats and defenses.
  • Bajuriina - Likely to see as a new tank with its good defenses and typing. Plus Dust-proof is good against the new weather teams.
  • Wargle - Good physical offense and speed, with a Staraptor-rivaling movepool.
  • Fighting legendary trio - Solid all around, and so is their event counterpart.
  • Sazando - This thing sends shivers up my spine. FANTASTIC stats, FANTASTIC moves, FANTASTIC typing, good ability. This might go up to Ubers immediately.

Friends likely to return: Gengar, T-Tar, Mixmence, Infernape, Swampert, Mismagius, Jolteon, Aerodactyl, Heracross, Metagross, Vaporeon, Forretress, Gliscor, Gyarados, Hippowdon, Kingdra, Lucario, Machamp, Magnezone, Ninjask, Mamoswine, Starmie, Weavile, Umbreon, Zapdos, Scizor, Raikou, Yanmega.

Also, just on a bet with a friend, does Encourage remove negative added effects too, like on Hammer Arm, Brave Bird, Superpower, Overheat and Flare Blitz? Or just positive ones?

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
Also, just on a bet with a friend, does Encourage remove negative added effects too, like on Hammer Arm, Brave Bird, Superpower, Overheat and Flare Blitz? Or just positive ones?

From what I heard, it only removes the "positive" secondary effects. :(

poke-lord

What are you most looking forward to using in the 5th gen

Well as the title says what are you looking forward to using in the new metagame.

I am looking forward to creating an uber team as this gen I love the new legends and would love a tema with them

Othello

I'm most intrigued to see if Butterfly Dance is going to be used.
If you have a rapid spinner in your party Urugamosu (85/60/65/135/105/100) is going to be a huge threat. He's limited to a few moves but really those all he's needs. With access to Butterfly Dance and Fire Dance Urugamosu is going to dance whether he's prepping for a sweep or beginning one. I think Butterfly Dance/Fire Blast/Bug Buzz/Hurricane is going to be a strong set. Or he can phaze with Whirlwind.

Shanderaa's special attack and shadow tag is very tempting, but Urugamosu has health/special defence/speed and self buffs to back it up. Urugamosu is so far my choice fire poke in White.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
I'm most intrigued to see if Butterfly Dance is going to be used.
If you have a rapid spinner in your party Urugamosu (85/60/65/135/105/100) is going to be a huge threat. He's limited to a few moves but really those all he's needs. With access to Butterfly Dance and Fire Dance Urugamosu is going to dance whether he's prepping for a sweep or beginning one. I think Butterfly Dance/Fire Blast/Bug Buzz/Hurricane is going to be a strong set. Or he can phaze with Whirlwind.

Shanderaa's special attack and shadow tag is very tempting, but Urugamosu has health/special defence/speed and self buffs to back it up. Urugamosu is so far my choice fire poke in White.
Urgamoth will be a FANTASTIC threat, but I can only really seeing it staying in OU, at the least because of its typing (half its health gone from Stealth Rock).

RPTerakion is an amazing sweeper with perfect coverage in three moves and amazing attack and the ability to outspeed any Doryuuzu in SS barring scarf (lol)

Steel walls such as Skarmory and Forretress have jobs more important than ever now with things like Ononokusu and Doryuzuu on the loose. Shanderaa will be relied upon heavily to take care of pokemon like Skarm though, who focus more on physical defense.

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
my opinions from being good on pokemon-online:

Randorosu is ridiculously good - CB Sand Power EQs murders EVERYTHING, i've had it OHKO Roopushin, Burunkeru after SR and do 73% to Hippowdon. if your opponent loses their ground resistant pokemon and you switch this in (remarkably easy considering its resistances - this thing is fairly bulky too, can revenge kill Garchomps as it survives Outrage after SR along with Boiling Water when it's not in rain and ****) something is going to die.

Kobaruon isn't as powerful as Terakion but its bulk helps it easily set up SDs and Steel / Fighting is not bad coverage at all especially when accompanied by Stone Edge. that and people don't seem to know what to do against it. in this hard hitting metagame i like it more than Lucario

Doryuuzu is obviously insane, the balloon item gives it a ground immunity and so not even Ditto can revenge it unless the Doryuuzu runs Brick Break for some reason. very very hard to stop

Zoroark is a pest especially when it NPs but not that great, my team seems to shut it down pretty easily. DITTO!

Sazandora is a mixed bag. i ran Taunt / Draco Meteor / Surf / Fire Blast which at some points completely destroyed the opponent but at some points died without too much trouble... it's not the strongest / fastest pokemon around and dark / dragon offer pretty redundant coverage. i do enjoy its immunities though, especially water which it can abuse easily and i found myself missing its switchin chances when i switched it with Genosect.

Jaroda is far better than you think it would be. it does a good job at destroying unprepared teams with that ridiculous ability as well as Sub + Leech Seed. people don't seem to be using it to its full potential, though; if it's Scarf it needs to be kept until late game / until people are sure the pokemon who pretty much 100% counter it (Nattorei, Scizor, Heatran, Sazandora, Blissey, Ditto) are gone. some people are using it well though.

Ononokusu has been underwhelming but this might be because i run Ditto and just revenge it after it does whatever. not having a secondary STAB means this thing isn't overpowered like everyone seems to think it is.

i haven't seen many Hihidaruma but let me assure you nobody runs Daruma Mode, and for good reason as it is rubbish. regular Hihi does hit things hard though.

Aianto hits hard as hell and is really fun to use except sometimes it's not really fun to use, usually when i end up missing everything with Hustle

Shandera is less broken as everyone seems to be running Shed Shell on all their important walls but it does what it needs to (kill everything that's moderately slow and weak to anything). it doesn't kill Politoed very well though : (

speaking of Politoed yeah it is good. i never realised it could be so bulky, people have caught on and it lives for a surprisingly long time if you're not retarded and don't sacrifice it. imo Sand = Rain (sand maybe having a slight edge) > Sun > Hail. i have seen 0 hail teams so i am assuming it sucks.

Chiraachino with its Skill Link bullet seeds and other such nonsense was really annoying until i got Kobaruon to stop being murdered by Draco Meteor every time a dragon switched in and Kobaruon pretty much stopped this as well, and then everyone started running Steel types... yeah it's not that good.

speaking of Kobaruon i almost lost to a team of 5 Scarfers using Assist and a Dragon Tail Dragonite as everything just repeatedly switched me out. it was funny until it almost beat me. but i ended up with Kobaruon as my last pokemon and swept the guy. creative **** does work.

uh yeah. this metagame is great fun to play when you stop with the crapshoots and get a solid team! lots of stuff works (read: 90% of the 5th gen pokes) so just try everything. also, if you're any good at predicting in 4th gen and learn what pokemon use what relatively quickly, you'll decimate 95% of the players.

093.gif

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
I saw a new move today called Shell Break. It reduces defense and special defense, but sharply boosts attack, special attack and speed. Omastar can learn it.

So, what about a Swift Swim Omastar after a Shell Break?

I saw a new move today called Shell Break. It reduces defense and special defense, but sharply boosts attack, special attack and speed. Omastar can learn it.

So, what about a Swift Swim Omastar after a Shell Break?

Omastar is more likely to be taken out while setting up so Abagoora and Cloyster seem to be more popular for this role. Abagoora has Aqua Jet for an emergency priority move as well, and Cloyster is pretty powerful with Skill Link. One problem with people this gen atm is they seem to be drawn towards stat boosting and often times they get their boosts turned around on them and get 6-0'd by Ditto. I did this to someone who got 2 Shell Breaks on their Cloyster so I swept them with a +4 Icicle Spear. If you're going to use boosting sweepers its necessary to be able to counter your own sweeper or have a Ditto of your own if you don't want to get swept by every Ditto user out there.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Doreida rocks completely; i mean seriously, it gets butterfly dance, without doubt one of my favourite moves this gen, and Petal dance with Own tempo, Teeter Dance for confusing maybe, and Leech Seed is always fun.Base 110 Sp. Atk is pretty intersting aswell

Doreida rocks completely; i mean seriously, it gets butterfly dance, without doubt one of my favourite moves this gen, and Petal dance with Own tempo, Teeter Dance for confusing maybe, and Leech Seed is always fun.Base 110 Sp. Atk is pretty intersting aswell

I actually think that this poor guy suffers a similar case to Jaroda. Good Pokemon, easy way to boost its stats (I mean, how awesome is Butterfly Dance?), but its movepool stinks. Outside of his Grass STABS, he's got...well, Hidden Power. The only other move that I can see that would be remotely useful would be Dream Eater.

Anyways, I'm really liking Gigaiasu. Great Stealth Rock user, and pretty bulky and powerful in Sand. And I must say that Vaporeon is turning out to be a pretty good Wish passer, and he's supporting my team better than ever with Boiling Water.

Then, of course, there's Blaziken. I'm expecting amazing results with this guy, but I've started to learn that he's going to need proper support. When Dream World stuff is released, I'm going to try out a pure offensive SD set and a SubSD or ProtectSD set. The pure offensive seems to be very useful, I just have to pack a Burungeru counter and something that can take on a Ditto that transformed into my Blaziken. The other sets could be really annoying to people that switch in, say, Flygon to kill Blaze with Earthquake, and then get outsped by a second Speed Boost and KO'd by Hi Jump Kick. Still, opponents might realize what I'm doing, and they'll just send in Gyarados, Salamence, or something else like that and wall me.

Ononokusu, Doryuzuu and Shanderaa all stand out, for the new generation, and for prior gen's cloyster finally got some love with a improved rock blast, icicle spear, and most importantly, shell break

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I'd like to see Emboar go big, despite it's slow speed. I'm really looking forward to seeing Blaziken with speed boost!

Gamefreak

I like this set.

sprite.php

Nattorei@Rugged Helmet
Nature:Relaxed
Ability:Steel Thorns
252HP/4Def/252SpD
-Spikes
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed

It is basically a defensive spiker. EV's give it roughly balanced defenses, and the highest stat point total overall. Solid resistences makes this guy wall multiple things special or physical, and gives it plenty of opprotunities to get at least one layer of spikes. Power Whip is good STAB lets you counter and hurt bulky water pokemon, while Gyro Ball hits fast sweepers extremely hard with your low base speed. It gives you neutral coverage on Gengar, flying and grass types, but doesn't hit many more notable things hard however.

Thunder Wave is also another solid option instead of Gyro Ball, crippling most sweepers which would switch into Nattorei. Quite spammable in general. It is a matter of preference, do you want to have extra coverage and hitting fast pokemon hard? Or do you want to support the team with Thunder Wave one of the most lethal status moves in the game?

Leech Seed is your recovery option, and it is very abusable with Rugged Helmet and Steel Thorns. It also gives you another way to support the team.