• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokemon do you use?

Which do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taruta the Blue Mage

Newtypes represent!
I always use Pokemon I like, even in competitive battles, even stuff like Zangeese I use in a team just cause it's so awesome

Frog Of Steel

Quirky Nature
This poll is bit too black and white for me. I need gray.
Generally the Pokemon I like tend to fluctuate. I have a small group of Pokemon that are definite favorites, so the rest I just decide for on a whim. Their usefulness in battle is what I look for in a Pokemon, along with if I simply don't mind it or could try using it. There's no point in me trying to use a Pokemon that I know won't do well in battle. If I'm using a pokemon, I have to know how I can use it. There has to be a why to the Pokemon I use. It also helps if the Pokemon balances out the team, which I try to do.
For example, I'm raising a party of 3rd gen pokemon as a faux team. Mudkip is my starter, so it's automatically in. I also have a Duskull, as it adds the Ghost type and Dusknoir is a good wall, I suppose. I also have a Beldum since Metagross are amazing-I like the idea and appearance, but it is also very useful. I'm going to get a Bagon, because even though I'm not particularly fond of Salamence, it's very useful to my team. To balance out these physical attackers I'm using a Baltoy, as Claydol can do special attacks and take hits, and a Nosepass, as Probopass are like a wildcard with good special attack and moves.

Last edited:

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
My Favourite Pokemon

Kingdra
Charizard
Sandslash
Crobat
Probopass
Scizor
Dragonite
Breloom
Swellow
etc.

Now there is enough pokemon I like that are strong enough to use in battle so I'd say both.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
"I like using my favorites, such as Togekiss and Espeon, in both normal and "competitive" play, tiers be damned. Hell, I hate tiers, it's so hard trying to find someone who just wants to battle online in forums such as this one...

Aurath8

Both really. I like to be pratical and choose a pokemon that i like but also OK in battle. For Example Crobat and Ampharos aren't the best pokemon to use but they are usable. However I always evolve my pokemon even if I like their prevo better.

Beebar234

Pokemon that you like can be winners if you train them with care. Look at my Emerald team.

I play competitive, except for one thing: I always use my favourite Pokémon, Milotic. I just can't play without it (I play mainly UU and also OU) aside from that, I am competitive. However, I like many Pokémon, and the few I hate that would fit in my team will not be used (Infernape, Machamp and the overrated Heatran).

Milotic

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
I use the Pokemon that I like and they also win! Strategy when done right always wins, I never use any legends in my team unless I use an all legendary team. The only hard time my team has is during Shoddy where everyone uses the 1 pokemon a sleep rule, that's retarded. Otherwise sweet dreams my pokemon win.

Last edited:
Most of the pokemon that i like are winners and i like winning and looks and you look good when you win so this is a hard choice.....

Hum hum...

I don't think I can adequately answer that, as I tend to like at least something about the majority of critters currently implemented into the PokeVerse (or whatever you want to call it :p). If I had to settle on one option or the other, however, I'd have to slap myself silly and go with my gut: Pokemon that win... because, y'know, I like to win :)

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I like Pokemon that are both. I like attractive looking Pokemon that can kick butt as well.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I prefer to use pokemon that i like however i've restarted so many files on various games that i have been using pokemon i have not used before and not necessarily pokemon i've always liked. Not necessarily pokemon that are considered strong either.

Machamp and Staraptor for example are both pokemon i've always thought of as mediocre and not very interesting but in my Platinum file i used them as i had never before and they are quite good. I still do not favour them but i like to vary my teams as best i can throught my games.

Primeape and Dugtrio are also pokemon i have never really liked atall but in two different LG files i used them. However the Dugtrio was soon replaced by Rhyhorn as i prefer it and Rhydon to Dugtrio. Plus Dugtrio had horrible defence, rockets at Silph were fainting it after two or three hits even though it was about 5 or 6 levels higher than their pokemon. So that was a mixture of preferance and strength.

On my current LG file i have a Dragonite, considered strong and i like it, but oddly have never ever used one even back in the R/B/Y days. I also pick pokemon according to how they will balance my team.

I have yet to challenge the battle tower on any of my games and i am considering using strong pokemon for that, however i will still not use pokemon that i do not like.

I one day plan to get a Pearl game or restart my diamond but even though i have chose Turtwig and Piplup in the past i will never choose Chimchar because i do not like it and it's evolutions atall even though i know they are good pokemon.

My shiny team is full of pokemon that i like, Slowbro is part of it and i have never really favoured it but i really like it now. She was originally chosen to balance up my team as it lacked a water type and i had other options such as Floatzel, Pelipper ect however i preferred Slowbro.

Pokemon i will never use in battle because i do not like them include, Spinda, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia/rade, Gardevoir, Shiftry, Slaking, Lickilicky, Magmortar, Probopass, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Delcatty, Purugly, Skuntank, Hariyama, Ambipom.

Saying all of this there are still pokemon that i have never used but i like very much. These include Skarmory, Lapras, Nidoking, Vileplume, Aerodactyl, Ariados, Heracross, Scizor, Donphan, Rayquaza, Tangrowth.

BuizelPidgeot

the ones i like

scarecrow_stitches

blissfully dead
I generally use pokemon I like rather than ones that can win. Even the super powerful ones like say Lugia and Entei, they just don't appeal to me. What fun is it if every attack is a one hit k.o?

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
usally pokemon i like win because i put time and efford into leveling them up!
but even if they dont i love them

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
A combination. Mostly, Pokemon I like. However, in SoulSilver, I'm using a Flaafy. Not my favorite, but it's powerful, and it's not like I hate it or anything. Then again, I started with a Chikorita, which is considered unstrategic - but whatever. :)

I remember when I first started playing, the only time I battled outside of game I lost to my friend, and I tried to copy his team almost exactly (in Sapphire). Yeah, that was dumb. Where's the fun in that? It's a video game, so if you spend all your time trying to do well without really enjoying it, like I used to do, then go ahead. You'll get sick of it soon. :/ I thought my friend's team had "powerful" Pokemon, and that I should use them. (Although I changed it up, I did realize the effectiveness of both Cacturne and Salamence.)

Anyway, I soon moved on to my own team, and it's working out fine. So overall, sort of both.

Last edited: