• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokemon got the worst treatment by the writers?

Which Pokemon got the worst treatment by the writers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGonzales

The Master
I would go so far as to say that pikachu gets treated poorly. Yes, it has a lot of screen time, but it loses to everything. Seriously, it's ridiculous. You would think that pikachu would be very powerful, but it's really annoying.

pokemon fan 132

I remember when I was a kid I was annoyed that she dropped Starmie but kept Staryu. The sad thing is Starmie never used any psychic attacks or any special attacks like Thunderbolt or Icebeam. It was literally treated like just a bigger version of Staryu from the writers.

What wasted potential, but then again you can say that about most of her Pokemon other than Poliwhirl, who was probably her best battler.

Sadly Starmie was dumped too quickly, never getting chance to be used to full potential. I liked Staryu too, but Starmie was always one of my favorites deserving better, than what he got. However i don't think that only pokemon with good treatment was Poliwhirl. What about Corsola?

That pokemon was one of her most used ones ever since she caught it, it had amusing persona(especially in debut episode) and got her several important wins(vs Harrison, Sakura, Dorian or Georgio). Staryu was quite often used too helping many times when group was in trouble showing to be excellent swimmer, and battler too. His best moment was in third movie in spectacular duel against Molly Mantine.

As for Psyduck, eh it depends how you look at it. As far as battling goes, there was left room for a lot of improvement , but for comedy purposes that duck had ton of personality bringing great humor back than. Which is probably reason why it was never treated as battler.

Exactly, Psyduck even knew Confusion. I hope when Starmie was under the care of Misty's sisters it learned a new move(s).

Knowing Misty sisters and their laziness, always trying to avoid gym duties giving badges to trainers without battling, i doubt it. Though since Misty returned to gym, in meantime i presume she trained Starmie teaching him some new cool moves. If we are lucky and she returns, we might see it(maybe).

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I remember when I was a kid I was annoyed that she dropped Starmie but kept Staryu. The sad thing is Starmie never used any psychic attacks or any special attacks like Thunderbolt or Icebeam. It was literally treated like just a bigger version of Staryu from the writers.

I actually have to agree with you there, CyberCubed. When both were present on her team, Starmie got about half the screen time Staryu did. Being one of the most versatile Pokemon there is, they could have used Starmie to showcase moves like Thunder(bolt), Ice Beam/Blizzard, Confuse Ray and Psychic, and even Surf. It's a shame.

Now that I think about it, she should have ditched Staryu at the gym instead along with Goldeen (keeping Starmie and Horsea), making her final Johto team Starmie, Kingdra, Psyduck, Togetic (in my mind, one of the biggest mistakes the writers made, not allowing it to evolve in Johto), Politoed, and Corsola. Now that is a fantastic team for a Water Pokemon Master.

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
Nice, Munchlax. :) I think the only reason why Togepi didn't evolve in Johto is due to Misty's coddling him and not knowing if he had any battle potential at all. That same coddling early on also made him too dependent on Misty and why he took so long to evolve. I mean, at least Ash, Brock, May, and Dawn all used their hatched "baby" Pokémon in one way or another and they grew for it, while Togepi just seems to me like in most of the OS that he was just there to be cute and that's it, with no actual growth at all. =/ Besides Goldeen, Horsea, and Starmie, Togepi/Togetic was one of Misty's most poorly developed Pokémon.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I actually have to agree with you there, CyberCubed. When both were present on her team, Starmie got about half the screen time Staryu did. Being one of the most versatile Pokemon there is, they could have used Starmie to showcase moves like Thunder(bolt), Ice Beam/Blizzard, Confuse Ray and Psychic, and even Surf. It's a shame.

Now that I think about it, she should have ditched Staryu at the gym instead along with Goldeen (keeping Starmie and Horsea), making her final Johto team Starmie, Kingdra, Psyduck, Togetic (in my mind, one of the biggest mistakes the writers made, not allowing it to evolve in Johto), Politoed, and Corsola. Now that is a fantastic team for a Water Pokemon Master.

Why did she need any of her Kanto Pokemon in Johto? Sure keeping Togepi, Poliwag and Psyduck made sense, but Staryu and Goldeen were rather pointless in Johto.

Its the same with Brock. He kept Geodude, Onix and Zubat into Johto...for what? Geodude/Onix do practically nothing and Zubat just evolves quickly but does mostly nothing anyway.

And I never understood why Onix didn't evolve into Steelix back in Johto, especially when Steelix was a new Pokemon to advertise at the time. And no Kingdra for Misty was equally bizarre.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I think Misty should have just left Goldeen back in Cerulean. The thing literally did nothing. At least Staryu and Starmie battled. Horsea didn't do anything except in its debut episode... so it should have stayed to evolve. Goldeen could have evolved too :/
Poliwag/Poliwhirl were great, and Politoed had a FUN personality so I liked them. Togepi... meh it annoys me how Misty was always like "No! It couldnt have used a move, its a baby!!"...
Now Psyduck! I always thought it would have evolved :/ I mean I know it was there for comedy purposes only but... I think it should have evolved in the last episode of johto like may's blaziken :/

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't feel Staryu had much purpose in Johto. Corsola should have been captured much earlier in Johto and acted as her second battler other than Poliwhirl.

I also agree Togepi should have evolved in mid-Johto. There was no reason to keep it as a baby for ANOTHER entire region when she already mothered it for most of Kanto and all of Orange Islands.

Although had Togepi evolved back in Johto, Misty's AG cameo would have to be about something totally different. Most likely the Mirage Kingdom eps wouldn't exist then.

Most likely the Mirage Kingdom eps wouldn't exist then.

I wish they didn't-_- I hated that Misty had to release Togetic.

--------------------------------

Aside from that, I feel Misty's Horsea could've been a lot more useful in the orange islands where their was open water for it to swim around. It could've then evolved.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I feel most of Misty/Brock/Tracey's Pokemon didn't get much screentime. Blame the OS for being so heavily focused on Ash and leaving his friends very little battle screentime.

Its quite telling that when people rewatch the OS they actually realize how little you see Misty/Brock's Pokemon in battle. Tracey too, I think the guy only had like 2 proper battles when he was on the main cast.

pokemon fan 132

I think you meant great team for aspiring water master, because Misty didn't achieved her goal. Having her become E4 of water types in future would however be great way to tie up story and fulfill her dream(she did fangirled over Lorelei). I agree though with most of choices, except Staryu, i always loved that guy and i enjoyed whenever he battled. She should brought both Staryu and Starmie with her in Johto, as her most signature pokemon.

Why did she need any of her Kanto Pokemon in Johto? Sure keeping Togepi, Poliwag and Psyduck made sense, but Staryu and Goldeen were rather pointless in Johto.

Goldeen yes, but Staryu wasn't pointless in Johto. He had several battles there, such as against Ash when dueling for Totodile, when battling Butch and Cassidy, all those battles against Jessie Arbok or James Victreebel and Weezing, battle vs Molly in third movie etc.

He was of great help on several occasions too, such as helping to stop Tr Arbok tank and save kidnapped Pikachu, Sentret and Togepi, trying to stop giant Wobbufet Mecha, being used by Ash in pokemon competition which aim was to distinguish fire with pokemon(Misty borrowed her pokemon to Ash, although Psyduck only embarrased him)etc.

I can understand complaints about Goldeen and Togepi, but Staryu? Seriously?
It was Misty most used pokemon after Poliwhirl in Johto, until Corsola came.

Very few people stayed indifferent to Staryu battle against Mantine in third movie, being one of most skilled pokemon in Misty team. In comparison Brock didn't had any success vs Molly pokemon there.

Now Psyduck! I always thought it would have evolved :/ I mean I know it was there for comedy purposes only but... I think it should have evolved in the last episode of johto like may's blaziken :/

Its still not late for Psyduck to evolve, that is if Misty ever returns.

Its quite telling that when people rewatch the OS they actually realize how little you see Misty/Brock's Pokemon in battle. Tracey too, I think the guy only had like 2 proper battles when he was on the main cast.

Maybe so but for anime standards back than Misty was most active battler right below Ash, often battling on his side against TR, and other pokemon trainers. She had around 50 to 55 battles in total during OS, which was still most than we can say for poor Brock, Tracey and even Cilan or Iris. They are battling more than Misty did in Kanto, but when we add battles in OI and Johto, its still less.

Out of secondary main characters Dawn battled the most so far, while May comes in second. Although i was disappointed how little May battled in trainer battles, being mostly focused on contests, with Dawn we got both.

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Yeah I don't understand why some people say Staryu should have been ditched. Even in Kanto it was more seen than Starmie iirc. I guess it's different points of view, but Staryu did a lot. I think it was the most used Pokemon for a recurring character (in Johto/Kanto/Orange Islands). It was pretty helpful. Until Corsola came, then it went to third most used.
From most to least important Pokemon by Misty in my opinion it would be this: (not counting Togepi)
1. Poliwag Family - Her main battler in Johto since before she didn't really ever battle, and had a nice evolution to Politoed
2. Staryu - Pretty much her main Pokemon until Poliwag evolved, so it was her most used Pokemon
3. Corsola - When it was captured it was used in some battles and showed its strenght so yeah
4. Psyduck - There for just comedy relief, but it did win some battles for Misty such as against Jessie's Lickitung and Ash's Kingler IIRC
5. Starmie - In the small time it was there it was used sometimes so uhmm yeah
6. Goldeen - Barely used to do important things, but certainly more important than Horsea
7. Horsea - Didn't do anything. Literally.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm not saying Staryu didn't battle a little in Johto, I am saying I just didn't like the concept of it staying. I felt it was only there because in the games its an iconic Pokemon of the character, but anime-wise it really wasn't. But then again Brock dropped both Geodude/Onix when AG started, so being iconic in the games means little.

Togepi stayed for advertisement reasons, Psyduck was her most well liked Pokemon, and Poliwag stayed because they obviously planned to evolve it to Politoed right from the start.

If she left Stayu/Goldeen behind, she could have gotten more Johto water pokemon like Wooper or Chinchou or something. Misty only made one capture for the entire span of Johto...which was Corsola. How do you go an entire region only capturing a single new Pokemon?

pokemon fan 132

I'm not saying Staryu didn't battle a little in Johto, I am saying I just didn't like the concept of it staying. I felt it was only there because in the games its an iconic Pokemon of the character, but anime-wise it really wasn't. But then again Brock dropped both Geodude/Onix when AG started, so being iconic in the games means little.

Togepi stayed for advertisement reasons, Psyduck was her most well liked Pokemon, and Poliwag stayed because they obviously planned to evolve it to Politoed right from the start.

If she left Stayu/Goldeen behind, she could have gotten more Johto water pokemon like Wooper or Chinchou or something. Misty only made one capture for the entire span of Johto...which was Corsola. How do you go an entire region only capturing a single new Pokemon?

Pokemon isn't only useful when battling though, like i mentioned Staryu was of big help in Johto quite a few times for other things too. I agree how it most likely stayed on Misty team, because it was her signature water type(along with Starmie). However in anime Staryu was kinda treated like iconic pokemon to Misty as well. She used it always the most(until Poliwhirl came in)being one of her most used pokemon. Even in her most recent appearances(like Mastermind special)she still used Staryu. It was also showed that she has strong bond with him like it was showed in "Totodile Duel"for example. So Misty preference and attachment to pokemon is probably one of reasons too(anime wise)to bring Staryu to Johto.

Definitely agreed how one capture in long region like Johto was far from enough, and on good part writers inexperience is responsible for that. She even wanted to catch Wooper(not sure about that one), Quagsire and Chinchau in Johto fangirling over them, and writers avoided that. But what happened, it happened. If Misty stayed for Hoenn im sure she would get more captures.
I believe her team for Johto should have been Psyduck, Kingdra, Togetic, Politoad, Corsola and Staryu. In case of Togetic being released art some point in Johto, she should have got one of pokemon she wanted to catch from that region(Quagsire or Totodile would be good).

Weedy Spyze

Misty only made one capture for the entire span of Johto...which was Corsola. How do you go an entire region only capturing a single new Pokemon?

Brock only caught Pineco in Johto.

Anyway, of the poll choices I went with Kingler, Muk, and Tauros. Since they were just captured and immediately shipped to rot with Oak. At least they still make cameo appearances every now and then though...I should've voted for Pidgeot. It was on Ash's team, but never really did anything too important, and has never made another appearance since it was released. Even though his trainer told him he'd someday return for it. Stupid liar Ash.

Some of Misty's Pokemon like Goldeen, Starmie, and Horsea weren't treated very good either. Goldeen hardly ever did anything despite being there the entire time Misty was a main character, and Starmie was left with her sisters which made me mad because Starmie's my favorite Pokemon. Why does Psyduck (who should've really evolved in Orange Island's Golduck episode btw) get to have the Psychic powers even though Starmie's the Psychic-type on Misty's team? It was never used to its potential. I liked Horsea but it was really only the Togepi of Misty's team before Togepi was around. Which is why it was left at the gym with Starmie after Togepi showed up. Stupid egg.

With Brock, I really don't care about Onix and Geodude (although Geodude should've at least evolved into Graveler...), but he should've kept Vulpix. I was really bummed when it left.

And even though they're not poll options, Arbok and Weezing getting ditched in Hoenn really fills me with rage. Same with Victreebel in Johto. Team Rocket's original Pokemon were the best.

PokemonOwn

I would say Porygon got the worst treatment, but we all know how that happened...
Also, Dawn's Piplup from Sinnoh. Whatever happened to the rivalry with Chimchar from the lab? Whatever happened to it's evolution problem? Even in Unova it hasn;t made any improvements.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I would say Porygon got the worst treatment, but we all know how that happened...
Also, Dawn's Piplup from Sinnoh. Whatever happened to the rivalry with Chimchar from the lab? Whatever happened to it's evolution problem? Even in Unova it hasn;t made any improvements.

I agree with Porygon. Even since the seizer thing, it seems like the most shafted Pokemon of the whole franchise. I mean look at how little the other two evolutions have been shown. I haven't even seen any Porygon plusies since early OS.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I feel most of Misty/Brock/Tracey's Pokemon didn't get much screentime. Blame the OS for being so heavily focused on Ash and leaving his friends very little battle screentime.

I agree with you pal, they focused way too much on Ash back then. That's why Misty, Brock and Tracey's Pokemon back then had very little appearances or battle skills.

Some Pokemon I think were badly treated by the writers:

Ash
- Palpitoad: Little-to-no screen time. Was only used for battles.
- Boldore: Again, not much appearances.
- Leavanny: Same as above.
- Gible: Caught too late, was used in the League though.
- Torterra: Why did he get so bad after evolving? No victories in any battle as a Torterra.
- Muk: Again, not much appearances and most of the time he hugs Professor Oak
- Tauros: Not only was their capture episode skipped in the dub, but also they hardly got any victories. And then again, Ash apparently only uses one of them.
- Pidgeot: Ash said he'd come back for it and it never happened.
- Kingler: Probably holds the record for least screentime out of any Ash Pokemon
- Totodile: The only thing he did was that dance thing, he also didn't battle much despite being a starter.
- Glalie: Little-to-no development

Misty
- Goldeen: Failed a lot outside of water
- Starmie: Lost too many battles
- Corsola: Caught too late
- Psyduck: Was only there for comedy relief purposes
- Horsea: Did absolutely NOTHING.

Brock
- Crobat: Evolved quickly but never seen much
- Chansey: Evolved just before Brock left the series, therefore not much appearances after evolving.
- Geodude: Little-to-no appearances

Tracey
- All of his Pokemon.

May
- Glaceon: Obtained too late, not much success as an Eevee
- Venusaur: Only got like less than a minute shown as Venusaur, never seen as Ivysaur

Dawn
- Togekiss: Obtained too late, used in Grand Festival though
- Ambipom: Traded to Dawn only to get released for a career change in Ping Pong
- Quilava: Evolution episode was skipped in the dub (Japan-only special)

Cilan
- Stunfisk: Little-to-no appearances

Iris
- Excadrill: Been absent from most recent episodes

dman_dustin

I can't say who has received the worst treatment, but there are some who got treated badly at some point.

Kanto:

Pidgeotto/Pidgeot- Never got a league battle or if it did, it wasn't on screen.

Johto-

Totodile- Never got a gym win. And didn't evolve.
Cyndaquil- Was robbed of an evolution (although that was fixed 10 years later). And the only league win it received was a blink and miss Exeggutor
Noctowl- Never got a league win.

Hoenn-

Torkoal- Horrible battling record overall. Every other Pokemon was decent.

Sinnoh-

Gliscor- Lack of battles. It only ever had at most six battles before the league, and had very few wins. Bastiodon and Drapion and a tie with Barry's Roserade is kind of pathetic really.

Torterra- As a Torterra, it never got a win.

Unova-

Currently?

Palpitoad- Other Pokemon got horribly screwed over from screen time and lack of battles, like Pidove, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Roggenrola, etc. But Palpitoad had it worse. It never showed in an episode that was about an official battle. And there was a huge 31 episode gap appearance. Horrible.

Snivy- Snivy comes off as the worst starter, despite the best personality of the three. She doesn't get very many battles and wins. Oshawott's getting there, but has plenty of screen time to make up for it. Quite frankly Tepig/Pignite is the favored starter, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.