• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokemon should be of a different type than the current one?

DuskAstral

1. Charizard- I believe that instead of the flying type, the dragon (especially in appearance) would suit him better

2. Doduo and Dodrio should be pure normal types. Somehow I can't imagine how they can fly

3. The Alolan Exeguttor should be a pure grass type. He doesn't look like a dragon to me

4.Gyarados- I would take the flying type from Gyarados in favor of the dragon (especially since it was modeled on the dragon)

5. Gligar and Gliscor - I think that instead of the ground type, the poison type would suit them better.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My opinions:
1.) Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey should be pure Fairy given that they are the literal embodiment of happiness and luck which many fairies in stories will give humans as a gift.
2.) Mawile should be Steel/Dark as it has more characteristics of the Dark type mainly being deceptive and it learns more Dark type attacks than Fairy.
3.) Alolan Grimer and Muk should have been Poison/Fairy given it combats pollution similarly to Galarian Weezing.
4.) Alolan Rattata and Raticate should have been pure Dark. They don’t look like Normal types at all and taking away the typing wouldn’t hurt it as Dark already resists Ghost type attacks, Hyper Fang can still do quite a bit of damage without STAB, Super Fang doesn’t even really use STAB since it always halves the HP of the target, and they would be better off in battle without a 4x weakness to Fighting types.
5.) Stakataka should be Rock/Ghost because each of its stones have their own life force which could easily be explained as being paranormal powers.
6.) Blacephalon should have been Fire/Electric to reference a laser show that includes fireworks. It already looks like neon lights.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I could go on at length about this, and in fact, I will:
  • Dunsparce - Bug or Ground (it looks snake-like, and I think one episode of the anime mistakenly called it a Bug type once)
  • Trapinch and Vibrava - Bug/Ground (Trapinch is based on an ant larva, and Vibrava looks like a dragonfly)
  • Flygon - Flying/Dragon (its name is even a combination of those two words)
  • Altaria - Normal/Flying (it doesn't look very dragony)
  • Banette - Ghost/Dark (it has dark motives to get revenge on the child who disowned it)
  • Glalie - Ice/Ghost (since it has a sort of ghostly feel to it, and I think it takes some inspiration from oni, or Japanese demons)
  • Groudon - Fire/Ground (it's a direct counterpart to Kyogre, and it can learn a lot of Fire-type moves such as Flamethrower and Eruption)*
  • Luxray - Electric/Dark (it just looks dark to me? Plus it can learn Bite and Crunch)
  • Lucario - Pure Fighting (even though it has metallic-like protusions, those don't seem to warrant the Steel type attached to it)
  • Samurott - Water/Fighting (it's partially based on a samurai, and uses its seamitars like swords)
  • Winter Form Sawsbuck - Grass/Ice (it seems logical)
  • Meloetta - Fairy/Psychic or Fairy/Fighting (it kind of seems like a fairy to me?)
  • Flabebe, Floette and Florges - Grass/Fairy (flowers are part of them)
  • Helioptile and Heliolisk - Electric/Ground (they are found in the desert)
  • Goomy, Sliggoo and Goodra - Poison/Dragon (they look a lot like Poison-types)
  • Toucannon - Fire/Flying (its beak is said to get very hot when it's charging a Beak Blast attack, and it can cause burns)
  • Midnight Form Lycanroc - Rock/Dark (it's partially based on a werewolf)
  • Comfey - Grass/Fairy (it's based on a lei)
  • Dhelmise - Water/Steel (it's an anchor)
  • Solgaleo - Psychic/Fire (it represents the sun)
  • Clobbopus and Grapploct - Water/Fighting (they live in the sea, and they're octopuses)
  • Falinks - Bug/Fighting (it looks like a caterpillar)
* I do realize that Groudon does become Fire/Ground when it goes Primal, but that's just a form change.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Gyarados - Water/Dragon
Charizard - Water/Dragon
Shiinotic - Grass/Poison or Grass/Ghost
Blacephalon - Fire/Psychic

3. The Alolan Exeguttor should be a pure grass type. He doesn't look like a dragon to me
But he's based on a type of "Dragon" plant. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_(plant)
Otherwise, some typings I may want to change are (If I don't count any already mentioned):
Winter Sawsbuck: Ice/Normal
Summer Sawsbuck: Fire/Normal or Ground/Normal
Autumn Sawsbuck: Ghost/Normal or something like that

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Psyduck/Golduck- Water/Psychic (I mean come on, Psyduck's name is literally psychic duck, why is it not Psychic?)
Huntail- Water/Dark (learns way too many Dark type moves not to be)
Gorebyss- Water/Psychic (same as Huntail)
Beartic- Ice/Water (It's a water dwelling Pokemon and has Swift Swim as an HA)
Xerneas- Fairy/Grass (It takes the form of a tree and is associated with nature and forests)

@NovaBrunswick I have a feeling that Flygon's name was a localization error and Flygon was meant to be Salamence's English name. I mean, thematically, it would make sense to go Bagon -> Shelgon -> Flygon since all three end in -gon and Salamence's concept is that it finally learned to fly (and maybe they actually got switched somehow during localization and Flygon was meant to be called Salamence, but I can't really match that name to something in Flygon's concept).

Psyduck/Golduck also seems to be a translation error since Psyduck looks gold and Golduck is the one with developed psychic powers.

@NovaBrunswick I have a feeling that Flygon's name was a localization error and Flygon was meant to be Salamence's English name. I mean, thematically, it would make sense to go Bagon -> Shelgon -> Flygon since all three end in -gon and Salamence's concept is that it finally learned to fly (and maybe they actually got switched somehow during localization and Flygon was meant to be called Salamence, but I can't really match that name to something in Flygon's concept).
But is Flygon a Salamander?

Rodpaco

1. Charizard- I believe that instead of the flying type, the dragon (especially in appearance) would suit him better

4.Gyarados- I would take the flying type from Gyarados in favor of the dragon (especially since it was modeled on the dragon)

1. That was kinda solved by the mega evolutions, though. Mega Charizard X is fire/dragon, while mega Charizard Y is fire/flying.

4. 100%! And in that case it sucks that they didn't give a dragon type to the mega evolution.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Psyduck/Golduck also seems to be a translation error since Psyduck looks gold and Golduck is the one with developed psychic powers.

Yeah, they probably switched the names around by accident at the last minute. That still doesn't explain why they're not Water/Psychic, though. :confused:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not a translation error. Psyduck's real name is Koduck, i.e. Child Duck, and Golduck's name didn't change. And the Marsh Badge's name in Japanese is the Gold badge. So I'm guessing the point is that Golduck is a Water type that happens to have Psychic type attacks despite not being Psychic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could go on at length about this, and in fact, I will:
  • Dunsparce - Bug or Ground (it looks snake-like, and I think one episode of the anime mistakenly called it a Bug type once)
  • Trapinch and Vibrava - Bug/Ground (Trapinch is based on an ant larva, and Vibrava looks like a dragonfly)
  • Flygon - Flying/Dragon (its name is even a combination of those two words)
  • Altaria - Normal/Flying (it doesn't look very dragon-y)
  • Banette - Ghost/Dark (it has dark motives to get revenge on the child who disowned it)
  • Glalie - Ice/Ghost (since it has a sort of ghostly feel to it, and I think it takes some inspiration from oni, or Japanese demons)
  • Groudon - Fire/Ground (it's a direct counterpart to Kyogre, and it can learn a lot of Fire-type moves such as Flamethrower and Eruption)*
  • Luxray - Electric/Dark (it just looks dark to me? Plus it can learn Bite and Crunch)
  • Lucario - Pure Fighting (even though it has metallic-like protrusions, those don't seem to warrant the Steel type attached to it)
  • Samurott - Water/Fighting (it's partially based on a samurai, and uses its scimitars like swords)
  • Winter Form Sawsbuck - Grass/Ice (it seems logical)
  • Meloetta - Fairy/Psychic or Fairy/Fighting (it kind of seems like a fairy to me?)
  • Flabebe, Floette and Florges - Grass/Fairy (flowers are part of them)
  • Helioptile and Heliolisk - Electric/Ground (they are found in the desert)
  • Goomy, Sliggoo and Goodra - Poison/Dragon (they look a lot like Poison-types)
  • Toucannon - Fire/Flying (its beak is said to get very hot when it's charging a Beak Blast attack, and it can cause burns)
  • Midnight Form Lycanroc - Rock/Dark (it's partially based on a werewolf)
  • Comfey - Grass/Fairy (it's based on a lei)
  • Dhelmise - Water/Steel (it's an anchor)
  • Solgaleo - Psychic/Fire (it represents the sun)
  • Clobbopus and Grapploct - Water/Fighting (they live in the sea, and they're octopuses)
  • Falinks - Bug/Fighting (it looks like a caterpillar)
* I do realize that Groudon does become Fire/Ground when it goes Primal, but that's just a form change.
Dunsparce - It can stay normal. Its inspiration is the tsuchinoko, which is basically just a fat snake.
Trapinch line- Flygon should be Bug/Dragon. It should've gone Bug/Ground, Bug/Ground, Bug/Dragon for that line. Also, the whole thing is based on the antlion's lifecycle, not an ant's.
Altaria - I think that's the point.
Groudon - It may be just a form change, but it's implied that's supposed to be their full power.
Samurott - I think all the Gen V starters were supposed to be pure typings originally, because Emboar only gets like one Fighting move.
Sawsbuck - All except Summer Sawsbuck should change their Normal type to something else.
Meloetta - There's a chance it could've happened since Normal is the only type that was allowed to be replaced by Fairy, but it would've had to have bee done in Gen VI.
Flabebe line - Florges only. The others' flowers aren 't part of their bodies.
Toucannon- That's only the one move. See Emboar above for why that's bad.
Midnight Form Lycanroc - Please don't make it even worse at defending itself when that's supposed to be its whole thing.
Comfey - See Flabebe.
Dhelmise - It's the seaweed on the anchor, not the anchor itself. That's why it gets its signature Ability, Steelworker.
Solgaleo - It's based on the alchemical lion, if I recall correctly, which eats the Sun.
Falinks - The individual units don't resemble bugs at all. That's just what always happens when you put identical things in a line.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I mean, there are some that are obviously questionable -- I think a lot of the gen 1 dragon-like mons not being dragons comes down to a design philosophy of making dragons as rare as possible (plus, giving that away as a starter re: Charizard would be pretty busted), I think we should just take a moment to talk about how a lot of Normal/Flying birds should be pure Flying, and a large amount of the dual-type poison 'mons in Gen 1... did not need to be poison-type. At least Gastly makes sense since it's a fart a poison-gas ghost. Also I think a lot of problems with a lot of typing things comes down to, "there's only two type slots" -- which is probably for the better, really -- and you end up with the game devs picking the two that hopefully make the most sense (and then sometimes they really, really don't). Example: Celesteela. It has a lot of bamboo-themed elements (due to it being themed heavily around the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, a.k.a. the Tale of Princess Kaguya (cf. Celesteela's Japanese name, Tekkaguya)) in addition to being a jet or a spaceship or something, so grass, flying and steel are feasible options, and they chose flying/steel (maybe because grass/steel was already represented among the UBs and it would basically necessitate the addition of Levitate, while all "true" UBs have Beast Boost). Incidentally, Celesteela, Blacephalon and Xurkitree (the latter of which is the only single-type UB) are the only UBs that don't have a double weakness, to match the fairly min-maxed stat lines of the entire series.

So in short, I propose those three get a type combination that leaves them with a single double-weakness. Celesteela as Grass/Flying is easy, but I'm not so sure about the others.

I have a feeling that Flygon's name was a localization error and Flygon was meant to be Salamence's English name. I mean, thematically, it would make sense to go Bagon -> Shelgon -> Flygon since all three end in -gon and Salamence's concept is that it finally learned to fly (and maybe they actually got switched somehow during localization and Flygon was meant to be called Salamence, but I can't really match that name to something in Flygon's concept).

I find your proposition to be extremely unlikely considering Flygon is also Flygon's Japanese name. If you're right, though, that's one hell of a localization error!

Solgaleo - It's based on the alchemical lion, if I recall correctly, which eats the Sun.

Also: Psychic generally represents cosmic power and generalized "space stuff" (see Lunatone and Solrock, Elgyem and Beheeyem, the move Cosmic Power, etc.), and also magic (when Fairy isn't doing it, anyway). The "magic" type + Steel is 100% fitting for an alchemy-themed 'mon, so Psychic/Steel works, even if it's a little boring considering we've had multiple Psychic/Steels before.

But I'll give the take-haver points for not suggesting Steel/Fire like basically everyone does.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think a lot of the gen 1 dragon-like mons not being dragons comes down to a design philosophy of making dragons as rare as possible (plus, giving that away as a starter re: Charizard would be pretty busted)

Also, there was only one Dragon-type move in Gen 1, Dragon Rage, which always does exactly 40 HP damage, so it's not like any Dragons in Gen 1 could deal super-effective damage to each other anyway. (That's probably the reason why Gyarados is Water/Flying instead of Water/Dragon as a lot of people think it should be.)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Mawile as I’ve said before should have been Steel/Dark from the start. Yeah there’s the nasty 4x Fighting weakness but it doesn’t stop Pawnard and Bisharp from being widely used. Mawile could still have its uses in the metagame. Mawile is called the Deceiver Pokemon and it lures foes into getting to close to it before striking. Do you know how many Dark type move Mawile can learn by both level up and TM/TR? 11. How many Fairy type attacks the same way? Only 4 and one of them is a Status move.

Orphalesion

I have a feeling that Flygon's name was a localization error and Flygon was meant to be Salamence's English name. I mean, thematically, it would make sense to go Bagon -> Shelgon -> Flygon since all three end in -gon and Salamence's concept is that it finally learned to fly (and maybe they actually got switched somehow during localization and Flygon was meant to be called Salamence, but I can't really match that name to something in Flygon's concept).

I don't think so. First of all Flygon is also the Japanese name and second I'm pretty sure the name is a word play on a dragon fly, considering it evolves from bug Pokemon (though it's more of an antlion, but they look very similar to dragon flies)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Mawile as I’ve said before should have been Steel/Dark from the start. Yeah there’s the nasty 4x Fighting weakness but it doesn’t stop Pawnard and Bisharp from being widely used. Mawile could still have its uses in the metagame. Mawile is called the Deceiver Pokemon and it lures foes into getting to close to it before striking. Do you know how many Dark type move Mawile can learn by both level up and TM/TR? 11. How many Fairy type attacks the same way? Only 4 and one of them is a Status move.
You read my mind. It would also make it being a version exclusive/counterpart of Sableye more fitting. However, I don't get why Sableye is Dark/Ghost. Dark yes, but Ghost? It's associated with darkness and caves, but there's nothing spooky in the sense of ghosts, haunting or whatever. If it's going to have a secondary typing, it should be Psychic reflecting it is an alien, or better yet Dark/Rock as the Pokemon is consistently associated with gems

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
For me Noctowl should probably be a Psychic/Flying rather than a Normal/Flying. Just fits it a bit better and to be honest I've always found Normal/Flying to be a bit overdone.
The typing has been way overdone and I was bored with it by Gen V. The Fletchling was revealed and I was so ready for another three stage Normal/Flying type line and was ready to ditch it as Soon as it was fully evolved but then I discovered it lost the Normal type and I kept it my entire run of Kalos. Pikipek and its evolutions weren’t too bad as Normal/Flying types and Beak Blast was really fun to use. I can tolerate Normal/Flying as a typing if the Pokémon evolves and changes types such as Swablu becom8ng part Dragon.