• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokemon should be of a different type than the current one?

OwensJB

Cofagrigus could've been Ghost/Steel but I think it could've been Ghost/Rock too maybe?

The Rock type could've worked because Cofagrigus is based on an Egyptian coffin and old artifacts like that are hard like minerals.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I dunno, Psychic/Normal is a good type combination, and Psychic/Dark kinda sucks. (Although, saying that, at one point, Girafarig was part Dark-type. It was, however, Dark/Normal.)

It also looked more like a pushmi-pullyu (a rocking horse), which fits with its name being a palindrome.

Weren't Tentacool and Tentacruel also supposed to be Water/Electric types at first? That would've been a unique type combo back then (until Chinchou and Lanturn were created in the following generation), and it would've been a nice break from all the Poison-types that seemed to be ubiquitous in Gen 1.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Weren't Tentacool and Tentacruel also supposed to be Water/Electric types at first? That would've been a unique type combo back then (until Chinchou and Lanturn were created in the following generation), and it would've been a nice break from all the Poison-types that seemed to be ubiquitous in Gen 1.
Never heard about that before but I think Poison/Water suits them better and not a lot of Pokémon get the combo which makes each of the four lines have their usefulness. Tentacool And Tentacruel can use Mirror Coat to effectively counter special based Psychic attacks and other special moves that could deal super effective hits and also be a Rapid Spinner to eliminate entry hazards. Qwilfish is the entry hazard set up user. Skelp evolves into Dragalge and lose the Water typing but gets the Dragon type and is a counter to Fairies. And the Marmeanie line have Merciless which makes their attacks even more powerful if their target is Poisoned Which is very easy for them to do.

Ditto B1tch

1. Charizard- I believe that instead of the flying type, the dragon (especially in appearance) would suit him better
Ah no, Charizard is acutally a lizard with wings

2. Doduo and Dodrio should be pure normal types. Somehow I can't imagine how they can fly
That's why we needed a bird type, he would be bird type (not bird/flying), get it

4.Gyarados- I would take the flying type from Gyarados in favor of the dragon (especially since it was modeled on the dragon)
Yes, cutie. Gyarados being also flying makes no sense

5. Gligar and Gliscor - I think that instead of the ground type, the poison type would suit them better.
And they would just be a clone of Zubat's line

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
That's why we needed a bird type, he would be bird type (not bird/flying), get it

Because not all birds can fly. Piplup and Eiscue are penguins, which are non-flying birds, and they're not Flying-type.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I don't think they were? If they were, it never really made it to any of the prototypes.

And see, this is an odd one, because, in gen 1, it was unique despite being another poison-type line of the sort that allowed psychics -- even if ghost actually had attacks and the type chart wasn't bugged -- to completely roflstomp 90% of the game. It later became a reasonably common type pairing (not completely, but there's a couple of water/poison 'mons now, at least one of which is very common in competitive) and was so overused in ocean routes for several generations that they began to feel less unique than they actually were. I'd sooner suggest making a bunch of those plants not be part-poison.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Porygon and its evolutions were created with computers, yet they're just Normal types. Shouldn't they have been Electric-type instead, since computers use electricity to run, and they can learn some Electric moves like Thunderbolt and Zap Cannon?

Sakuyamon

Always thought Yanmega could've had more dragon like features because it's a monster dragonfly and maybe if GF had been more creative they would've made it part Bug/part Dragon. Oh and Rotom being half Ghost never made sense to me because it makes more sense as pure Electric.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Always thought Yanmega could've had more dragon like features because it's a monster dragonfly and maybe if GF had been more creative they would've made it part Bug/part Dragon. Oh and Rotom being half Ghost never made sense to me because it makes more sense as pure Electric.

Rotom is essentially plasma, so I think the Ghost-type suits it just fine. But on the subject of Electric-types, I think that Shibishirasu (Tynamo) and its evolved forms should've been part Water-type for obvious reasons.

Red and Blue

Dark/Flying suits the Zubat line more than being part Poison. They are cave dwellers who thrive in a dark environment

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Dark/Flying suits the Zubat line more than being part Poison. They are cave dwellers who thrive in a dark environment
The Dark type didn't exist in R/B/Y, and Poison does also make sense as they are literally poisonous. As far as I know there aren't any venomous bats in real life, but there also aren't any fire-breathing lizards or electricity-generating mice.

The Admiral

Don't know if anyone has called this out yet:

I think that the Chansey line should be or at least partially be Fairy type.
I could take or leave this one. It makes sense, but from a gameplay perspective, I think I would prefer it as pure-normal type for defense reasons. That said, can't argue on a lore level.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

Rotom being part-Ghost is probably because it's first found inside the TV at the Old Chateau, which is a place inhabited by ghosts, human and Pokémon alike. But that seems to be the only reason I can find.

Rune Knight

I could take or leave this one. It makes sense, but from a gameplay perspective, I think I would prefer it as pure-normal type for defense reasons. That said, can't argue on a lore level.

Oh I don't look into it that deep, I just thought you know.. since they're pink...

but yeah, also because of the healing factor.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh I don't look into it that deep, I just thought you know.. since they're pink...

Speaking of Fairies, what warrants the Marill family to be Fairy-types? Or Mawile? :rolleyes:

Rune Knight

Speaking of Fairies, what warrants the Marill family to be Fairy-types? Or Mawile? :rolleyes:

Personally, just from a base perspective it makes sense to me.

Not exactly sure why they were given the fairy typing, don't know the exact history about the evolution line, guessing that they had some mystical moves prior to Gen 6.

Also think that the Marill line might be based off of some fairy-tale, maybe the talking mice from Cinderella. Though this is mere speculation.

Last edited:

The Admiral

Well, I meant, it's also in the Fairy egg group.

Or Mawile? :rolleyes:

Mawile is based on the futakuchi-onna by design and (sort of...) on the kuchisake-onna by behavior. As a violent trickster, it plays into the less-savory aspects of what the Fairy type covers, since it hits both the light-hearted colorful stuff and the more evil unseelie court types (although the latter usually needs a second type)

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer

Every pre gen 6 Pokemon that received the fairy typing bar the Gardevoir and Mr. Mime lines were in the fairy egg group. Decently recently in the gear grinding thread I posted what I think was a good justification for each Pokemon in the fairy egg group that did not receive the fairy typing. I have it quoted below.

• Pikachu wasn't changed because they wouldn't want to change the series mascot and potentially piss people off. Its electric clones were not changed because it would take attention away from that generation's Pikaclone, Dedenne.
  • I believe the Chansey line wasn't changed for balance reasons.
  • Every dual typed Pokemon in the egg group bar Togepi's two evolutions retained their initial typings, with that line replacing a normal typing that really didn't fit.
  • Shroomish was a no because it evolves into a Grass/Fighting, so it would be an unneeded type.
  • Skitty and Delcatty weren't changed because they have a signature ability, Normalize, that would completely ruin Fairy as a secondary type since in at least one build of Delcatty, it wouldn't be able to gain STAB on its Fairy moves.
  • Castform changes form so often that the Normal type at the beginning makes sense.
  • Snorunt gains a typing through one evolution, so it didn't need to be messed with. Glalie is a little harder to justify, but my justification is that it isn't fairy looking at all and would not go with the early depictions of the type.
  • Phione and Manaphy weren't changed because they didn't touch legendaries or legendary lines.
  • Audino wasn't changed because it was gen 5's Chansey clone.
The only pair I could not truly find a justification for was the Cherubi line.