• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which Pokemon should be of a different type than the current one?

Red and Blue

The Dark type didn't exist in R/B/Y, and Poison does also make sense as they are literally poisonous. As far as I know there aren't any venomous bats in real life, but there also aren't any fire-breathing lizards or electricity-generating mice.
Yeah but like Jigglypuff and Snubull in Gen 6 they could of had their typings changed during Gen 2

Leonhart

Imagineer
Red and Blue said:
Yeah but like Jigglypuff and Snubull in Gen 6 they could of had their typings changed during Gen 2

Not to nitpick, but there's a pretty notable difference between Purin (Jigglypuff) and Buru (Snubbull) receiving an extra type in Gen VI, and the idea of Zubat and its evolved forms being retconned into becoming half Dark-type in Gen II despite already having two types to begin with.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Porygon and its evolutions were created with computers, yet they're just Normal types. Shouldn't they have been Electric-type instead, since computers use electricity to run, and they can learn some Electric moves like Thunderbolt and Zap Cannon?

I always thought Porygon would make more sense being Electric than Normal but generation 1 had lots of Electric Pokemon already so maybe that's why they decided to make Porygon Normal instead?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

If I remember correctly, didn't only one or two Pokémon have their types changed in Gen 2?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If I remember correctly, didn't only one or two Pokémon have their types changed in Gen 2?
Not changed but Magnemite and Magneton had the Steel added. In Gen I they were pure Electric which is hard to remember when playing RBY and fight them using a Fire type since they have been half Steel for most of the series.

BobbbidyBob

I'm kind of 50/50 on this one:

Mew as a Psychic/Fairy type.

Mewtwo as a Psychic/Dark type.
Mewtwo X keeps his Psychic/Fighting typings.
Mewtwo Y becomes a Psychic/Ghost type.
Why Mewtwo as a dark type? XD

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer

Only Magnemite and Magneton, which were given the steel type. They were changed because they were literally made of metal and to not be steel type would be impossible to justify. Since literally every other first gen Pokemon could justify not adding one of the new types, they didn't change them. They made the only completely necessary change.

Orphalesion

Ghastly, Haunter and Gengar should have been pure Ghost types, simply becuase they were the only Ghost Pokemon in Gen 1 and making them weak to Psychic (and making Night Shade ignore type) left Psychic Pokemon without a counter in Gen 1 (since there weren't any effective Bug moves either yet...)

Red and Blue

Not to nitpick, but there's a pretty notable difference between Purin (Jigglypuff) and Buru (Snubbull) receiving an extra type in Gen VI, and the idea of Zubat and its evolved forms being retconned into becoming half Dark-type in Gen II despite already having two types to begin with.
Snubbull didn't receive an extra type like Jigglypuff. It went from a pure Normal type to a pure Fairy type. Same with Pokemon like Togepi and Clefairy

I think they could have gotten away with making Zubat and it's evolved forms Dark/Flying during the Gen 2 period.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Ghastly, Haunter and Gengar should have been pure Ghost types, simply becuase they were the only Ghost Pokemon in Gen 1 and making them weak to Psychic (and making Night Shade ignore type) left Psychic Pokemon without a counter in Gen 1 (since there weren't any effective Bug moves either yet...)
There was a bug in the programming where Psychic Pokémon became immune to Ghost type attacks except for Nightshade. So the Gastly line being pure Ghost would have cause several issues.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It wouldn't have really mattered much anyways as the strongest Ghost-type attack in Gen 1 besides Night Shade was... Lick. A 20 BP move coming from Gengar's terrifying base 65 Attack is not going to stop Mewtwo or Alakazam from 6-0ing you (unless you paralyze it I guess).

Several types could have really used stronger moves introduced in Gen 1, Ghost and Bug chief among them.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It wouldn't have really mattered much anyways as the strongest Ghost-type attack in Gen 1 besides Night Shade was... Lick. A 20 BP move coming from Gengar's terrifying base 65 Attack is not going to stop Mewtwo or Alakazam from 6-0ing you (unless you paralyze it I guess).

Several types could have really used stronger moves introduced in Gen 1, Ghost and Bug chief among them.
Again there was a glitch that caused Lick to not even affect Psychic types during Gen I. So Gengar could easily be taken out by a Mr Mime because it couldn’t use any STAB moves against Psychic types and most of the TM it could learn would either be not very effective Psychic and Fighting type or just deal neutral hits.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Again there was a glitch that caused Lick to not even affect Psychic types during Gen I. So Gengar could easily be taken out by a Mr Mime because it couldn’t use any STAB moves against Psychic types and most of the TM it could learn would either be not very effective Psychic and Fighting type or just deal neutral hits.
Again it really doesn't matter, because even if you could hit Psychic-types with Lick, it's still far, far weaker than, say, a neutral Thunderbolt, especially accounting for Gengar's low Attack compared to its high Special. That is to say, even if the game functioned the way it's supposed to, there's still a huge unbalance there.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
I always thought Porygon would make more sense being Electric than Normal but generation 1 had lots of Electric Pokemon already so maybe that's why they decided to make Porygon Normal instead?

I agree, and I'd even say that Porygon-Z should've been Electric/Dark: the Dark-type could've suited it due to the implications that it was corrupted by a computer virus.

PokéIce

Celebi as Grass/Fairy
Cresselia as Psychic/Fairy
Darkrai as Dark/Fairy
The lake guardians as Psychic/Fairy
Hypno as Psychic/Dark
Golduck as Water/Psychic
Porygon line as Electric types
Primeape as Fighting/Dark
Gyarados as Water/Dragon
Aerodactyl as Rock/Dragon
Lugia as Water/Flying
Palkia as Psychic/Dragon
Tynamo line as Electric/Water
Altaria as Dragon/Fairy
Zeraora as Electric/Fighting
Suicune as Water/Ice
Raikou as Electric/Dark
Entei as Fire/Ground
Ampharos as Electric/Dragon (and have it as a 2nd Johto pseudo-legendary)
Doduo as pure Normal type
Dodrio as Norma/Fighting type

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Since it's like a darker version of Mew I guess.
It does kind of fit the general theme of Dark-types being aggressive and destructive (a fantastic example being Tyranitar). GameFreak seems very adverse to changing the typings of legendary and mythical Pokemon, though, such as the lake spirits not gaining the Fairy typing despite being literal fairies and having names that refer to pixies, sprites, and elves, which are all very similar to fairies in their respective folklore.

Rune Knight

It does kind of fit the general theme of Dark-types being aggressive and destructive (a fantastic example being Tyranitar). GameFreak seems very adverse to changing the typings of legendary and mythical Pokemon, though, such as the lake spirits not gaining the Fairy typing despite being literal fairies and having names that refer to pixies, sprites, and elves, which are all very similar to fairies in their respective folklore.

Yeah, because of that it may never happen. Heard the same argument for Celebi who is literally a fairy.

Nonetheless, they could always go the Charizard route by creating alternate forms for such pokemon that do carry their supposed types.