• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which real life place would you like to see as a pokemon region?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I would love to see my own country, India, getting its own version in the Pokemon world.

But I know that's very unlikely to happen

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah, Hoenn was based off the Kyushu Islands which is supposed to be tropical.

Hoenn is probably the least 'Japanese' of the first four regions. Kanto is sort of based on Tokyo because of its many cities, and Johto has that strong traditional Japanese look and feel with the architecture and the Kimono Girls. Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, which is known for its cold snowy winters.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Hoenn is probably the least 'Japanese' of the first four regions. Kanto is sort of based on Tokyo because of its many cities, and Johto has that strong traditional Japanese look and feel with the architecture and the Kimono Girls. Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, which is known for its cold snowy winters.

Yes, Kanto is based off the actual Kanto region, and Johto is based off Kyoto. That's why the magnet train exists, which is based off the real life shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto. I wouldn't say Hoenn is the least Japanese, since Kyushu Islands and Fukuoka are known for their beaches, hot springs, and overall tropical climate, as well as seas and oceans, hence the abundance of water in Hoenn.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I wouldn't say Hoenn is the least Japanese, since Kyushu Islands and Fukuoka are known for their beaches, hot springs, and overall tropical climate, as well as seas and oceans, hence the abundance of water in Hoenn.

Remember what IGN said about OR/AS: they gave them 7.8/10 because Hoenn has "too much water". :D

Blitz Lucario

After watching this this video on YouTube I started wondering what other areas of the world could be developed into a new region? The first one that came to mind was the Great Lakes area of North America.

Using this map as a rough layout I can describe the region as landlocked, its environments would include forests, plains, rivers, wetlands, mountains, and snowy mountains further north. Figure the north could be colder and isolated with plenty of Ice types to be found.

The location of important cities would be Duluth, Chicago, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. Important landmarks would be based off the Sears/Ellis Tower, Niagara Falls, and each lake respectively.

Looking at the wildlife found in this area I used that as inspiration for the Pokemon that would be found there.
Land:
Zigzagoon/Linoone = Raccoon/Badger
Bidoof/Bibarel = Beaver
Deerling/Sawsbuck = White-Tailed Deer
Teddiursa/Ursaring = Brown/Black Bear
Cubchoo/Beartic = Polar Bear
Rockruff/Lycanroc = Wolf
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray = Canadian Lynx/Bobcat
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu = Common Mouse
Vulpix/Ninetails (Regular) = Red Fox
Vulpix/Ninetails (Ice) = Arctic Fox
Zorua/Zoroark = Gray Fox
Bouffalant = Buffalo
Sandshrew/Sandslash (Regular) = Mole
Sandshrew/Sandslash (Ice) = Mole
Miltank/Tauros = Domesticated Cow/Bull
Mareep/Flaffy/Ampharos = Sheep
Mudbray/Mudsdale = Donkey/Horse
Skiddo/Gogoat = Goat
Snover/Abomasnow = Bigfoot?

Aquatic:
Buizel/Floatzel = River Otter
Psyduck/Golduck = Duck
Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Politoed = Tadpoles & Frog
Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad = Frog/Toad
Basculin = Bass
Corphish/Crawdaunt = Crayfish
Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo = Lillypads

Aerial:
Pidgey/Piggeotto/Pidgeot = Raptor Family of Birds
Starly/Staravia/Staraptor = Raptor Family of Birds
Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame = Raptor Family of Birds
Pidove/Tranquil/Unfezant= Pigeon/Pheasant
Hoothoot/Noctowl = Owl
Rufflet/Braviary = Bald Eagle
Murkrow/Honchkrow = Crow/Raven
Duckling/Swanna = Duck/Swan
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat = Common Bat
Woobat/Swoobat = Common Bat
Noibat/Noivern = Bat

New Pokemon/Regional Variants:
Canadian Goose - Either a new Pokemon entirely or a regional variation of Swanna.
Snowy Owl - A regional variation of Hoothoot and Noctowl found in the northern areas. Would be a Ice/Flying type with a white and light blue color scheme.
Moose - A new Pokemon that would probably be Normal type, based off the moose that found throughout Canada.
Canadian Lynx - Either a new Pokemon with a two-stage evolution or a regional variant of the Shinx line.

These are just a few ideas I had and if you've read this far, thank you.

Last edited:

Manchee

extra toasty
After watching this this video on YouTube I started wondering what other areas of the world could be developed into a new region? The first one that came to mind was the Great Lakes area of North America.

Using this map as a rough layout I can describe the region as landlocked, its environments would include forests, plains, rivers, wetlands, mountains, and snowy mountains further north. Figure the north could be colder and isolated with plenty of Ice types to be found.

I'll be honest that when I first saw you say "the Great Lakes," I kind of rolled my eyes and thought that was a lame idea. It's just a small area to focus on, and like Alola being based off of Hawaii, I worry that it would not give much in-game that is interesting and fun to play. But honestly I'm seeing where you're coming from. The map you provided could be interpreted in a cool way within the games to have these large bodies of water to swim across, but also land routes to go around them. I really think it would offer a lot of diversity to what we have seen already. Maybe it could have a larger focus on Ice-types? The only location I think of right away when I think "snow in the Pokémon world" is Snowpoint in Sinnoh, and I would really like to see somewhere else have a good bit of snow.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

The location of important cities would be Duluth, Chicago, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. Important landmarks would be based off the Sears/Ellis Tower, Niagara Falls, and each lake respectively.

Looking at the wildlife found in this area I used that as inspiration for the Pokemon that would be found there.
Land:
Zigzagoon/Linoone = Raccoon/Badger
Bidoof/Bibarel = Beaver
Deerling/Sawsbuck = White-Tailed Deer
Teddiursa/Ursaring = Brown/Black Bear
Cubchoo/Beartic = Polar Bear
Rockruff/Lycanroc = Wolf
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray = Canadian Lynx/Bobcat
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu = Common Mouse
Vulpix/Ninetails (Regular) = Red Fox
Vulpix/Ninetails (Ice) = Arctic Fox
Zorua/Zoroark = Gray Fox
Bouffalant = Buffalo
Sandshrew/Sandslash (Regular) = Mole
Sandshrew/Sandslash (Ice) = Mole
Miltank/Tauros = Domesticated Cow/Bull
Mareep/Flaffy/Ampharos = Sheep
Mudbray/Mudsdale = Donkey/Horse
Skiddo/Gogoat = Goat
Snover/Abomasnow = Bigfoot?

Aquatic:
Buizel/Floatzel = River Otter
Psyduck/Golduck = Duck
Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Politoed = Tadpoles & Frog
Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad = Frog/Toad
Basculin = Bass
Corphish/Crawdaunt = Crayfish
Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo = Lillypads

Aerial:
Pidgey/Piggeotto/Pidgeot = Raptor Family of Birds
Starly/Staravia/Staraptor = Raptor Family of Birds
Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame = Raptor Family of Birds
Pidove/Tranquil/Unfezant= Pigeon/Pheasant
Hoothoot/Noctowl = Owl
Rufflet/Braviary = Bald Eagle
Murkrow/Honchkrow = Crow/Raven
Duckling/Swanna = Duck/Swan
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat = Common Bat
Woobat/Swoobat = Common Bat
Noibat/Noivern = Bat

New Pokemon/Regional Variants:
Canadian Goose - Either a new Pokemon entirely or a regional variation of Swanna.
Snowy Owl - A regional variation of Hoothoot and Noctowl found in the northern areas. Would be a Ice/Flying type with a white and light blue color scheme.
Moose - A new Pokemon that would probably be Normal type, based off the moose that found throughout Canada.
Canadian Lynx - Either a new Pokemon with a two-stage evolution or a regional variant of the Shinx line.

These are just a few ideas I had and if you've read this far, thank you.

I'm liking this idea. I want more snowy areas in Pokemon.

starbeet

well Alalo made sense considering tourism

so with that in mind

South Korea, it has some cool cities different from japan and i think they could have a cool side game

or

Egypt for its land marks

landipan

I like the idea of a Italy inspired region! Also really love the thought of a region inspired by Scandanavia or the Netherlands!

Manchee

extra toasty
I like the idea of a Italy inspired region! Also really love the thought of a region inspired by Scandanavia or the Netherlands!

A Scandinavian region would really allow for some snowy areas, and potentially some cool gameplay choices if they include a lot of water to get around (I'm thinking of a city inspired by Stockholm where there is a lot of water to traverse)

I can totally see them doing an Italy region. At this point it feels like an obvious choice that they would make based on all of the other regions we've gotten to date. I think they would make it cute though, and hopefully give it that special feeling that Kalos had. They could make some really cool Rome-inspired cities :D

Blitz Lucario

One thing the developers probably consider when creating a new region based off a real world location is what short of environments are contained within that geographical area. So as other people have mentioned in a Canadian or Scandinavian based region there would be lots of snowy locations.

Although they may take some liberties because they shove a desert into a region that wouldn't necessarily have one. After all they put one on the middle of Ula Ula Island and Unova.

If they did a Canada based one, they should have a southern part of the region that was the desert, almost like it was the united states, it would at least make some sense.

Manchee

extra toasty
Although it's been a trend in the past few regions, we do have Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh without any desert locations. And in terms of snowy locations in game, it's almost always just reduced to an icy cave. In Sinnoh they had Hippopotas be available in a cave (and it is probably the most desert-like Pokémon from that region). With Alola being a very different setup from what we've seen previously, they could easily make some new strides and give us something we are not as familiar with.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What about Russia? I really enjoyed the snowy areas in past generations, and I think it would be really nice to have a larger area, perhaps several towns even that have snow.

Russia is so big they'd have to make ten generations just to complete it. But if it was a more specific region of Russia, what would you choose?

op swellow

Croatia would make a cool place for a region in the games. Places like Dubrovnik(old town), Zadar( Sea organ), Split could be the main cities. The small islands it has, the mountains, the sea, it could make a great region for a pokemon game.

Blitz Lucario

If they do make another European inspired region based off Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, or Scandenavia I would like it to have some sort of connection to Kalos. Whether it'd be geographically connected or in close proximity would be a nice touch of continuity. I bring up Scandinavia specifically because Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are based off the animals that inhabit Yggdrasil. So they could be extra legendaries found in the regions post game.

One thing the developers probably do consider is how distinct is the culture of certain areas, recent examples being French = Kalos and Hawaiian = Alola. They probably won't choose an area just for it's geography, it's culture should be a factor aswell.

Manchee

extra toasty
Blitz Lucario said:
If they do make another European inspired region based off Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, or Scandenavia I would like it to have some sort of connection to Kalos. Whether it'd be geographically connected or in close proximity would be a nice touch of continuity

That would be cool! I feel like they wouldn't consider it to be very important to include, however, especially seeing how Alola = Hawaii and Unova = USA and they were not mentioned being very close. Kanto got more attention than anything...

Blitz Lucario said:
One thing the developers probably do consider is how distinct is the culture of certain areas, recent examples being French = Kalos and Hawaiian = Alola. They probably won't choose an area just for it's geography, it's culture should be a factor aswell.

This definitely seems like they are picking up on. Even with Unova = USA, they included a bit of detail for that too that set Unova apart from other regions like they did with Kalos and Alola.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Brazil could be really interesting. Beaches, rainforest, mountains, along with sprawling urban areas with luxurious beach resorts only a few minutes from dangerous slums. Plus a ton of mythological and historical inspiration for lore. And a massive amount of modern culture and traditions to emulate. Its got a reasonable space programme and a lot of biological research centres like the Butantan institute, both of which appear frequently in pokemon. Most importantly, in terms of biodiversity of both plants and animals it can't be beat. Basically all of Brazil's geography seems like its been turned up to 11.

The only downsides are that it would be another very warm climate following Alola, and that its a much larger country than France or Hawaii, so it might be tough for ice types. But they could still compress it and just give us the highlights.

Last edited: