• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which region had the best Gym Leaders?

Which region do you think had the best Gym Leaders?

• Kanto

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Johto

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Unova

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Kalos

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Galar

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Every region in the Pokémon world has their own set of Gym Leaders. Which ones do you think were the best, either personality-wise, team-wise or challenge-wise? (I'm not including Alola since it doesn't have Gyms.)

Here's my personal ranking of best to not-so-good:

1. Galar
  2. Unova
  3. Sinnoh
  4. Hoenn
  5. Johto
  6. Kanto
  7. Kalos
And the best Gym Leaders out of each set:

1. Allister, Nessa, Opal/Bede, Raihan
  2. Elesa, Skyla, Lenora, Roxie
  3. Candice, Maylene, Crasher Wake, Roark, Byron
  4. Norman, Flannery, Tate & Liza, Wallace
  5. Jasmine, Clair, Whitney, Bugsy
  6. Blaine, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika
  7. Clemont, Valerie, Olympia

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Character-wise - Konto, Galar as second

Team-wise - Emerald Hoenn (3 Pokemon for Gym 1-2, 4 Pokemon for Gym 3-5 and 7 and 5 Pokemon for Gyms 6&8), Galar as second (2 Pokemon for Milo only, 3 Pokemon for Gyms 2-3, 5 Pokemon for Gyms 4-8).

Galar seems as a Good compromise.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
3 way tie between Sinnoh, Unova, & Galar for character wise

I’d say Sinnoh challenge wise

Team wise: Probably Sinnoh or Unova as I like when Gym Leaders tends to use Pokémon introduced in that region (Kanto obviously doesn’t count)

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Character-wise it would be tie between Unova and Galar for me. Not too sure challenge-wise, I think Sinnoh and Unova provide a decent challenge out of all the regions.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
Would that be because of Whitney's Miltank? ;)

No, I actually thought that her Miltank was one of the worst aspects of the G/S/C Gyms. I just like Akane's (Whitney's) personality: she was a bit of a brat as seen when she refused to give us the Plain Badge, yet she also had a bubbly and innocent aura around her. Her HG/SS design is really cute, too.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
No, I actually thought that her Miltank was one of the worst aspects of the G/S/C Gyms. I just like Akane's (Whitney's) personality: she was a bit of a brat as seen when she refused to give us the Plain Badge, yet she also had a bubbly and innocent aura around her. Her HG/SS design is really cute, too.

Clair did a similar thing too, but not because she was bratty. I found Clair kind of egoistic and cocky up until you meet up with her and Lance.

MotostokeOnTrent

PokéJungle writer
Galar ranks top for personality (and it's not close, given how much more effort was put into them), while Hoenn sticks out in my memory for a couple of interesting challenges. Tate and Liza obviously have their Doubles shtick, both Water leaders earn points for infuriatingly tough aces, and RS Norman is an absolute sleeper - it may well be the first time the player meets a single member of the Slakoth line, and Slaking's mechanics add a touch of novelty to the bloody murder it inflicts upon your team.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I still have to say it's the original Kanto leaders. A war veteran? A retired clone-splicing researcher? A mafia boss? Generation I had no expectations set for them so it also made them have no limits with what they can put in their games. Most of the later gym leaders were made to be very safe and non-offensive, making them less colorful characters.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Ok, so bit of a long one but here are the regions in best to worst order (1 being best and 5 being worst obvi) with the leaders ranked from best to worst in all leagues. I've included spoilers to talk about some stuff as well.

1. Galar - Piers, Kabu, Raihan, Allister, Melony, Opal, Nessa, Milo
Overall a super solid lineup. I love Piers so much and surprisingly really liked Kabu WAAAAAY more than I thought I would. Allister was a little bit of a let down but he still ranks pretty high. I haven't played Sword (yet) so haven't ranked Bea or Gordie but based on designs alone they would fit somewhere near the bottom.

2. Sinnoh - Volkner, Byron, Roark, Candice, Wake, Gardenia, Fantina, Maylene
Sinnoh is my favourite region and I loooooove these leaders so much. Each leader has something to offer and there are a lot of cuties in this league. I especially love the family connection going on with Byron and Roark! Volkner will always be my inner emo boy crush though.

3. Johto - Morty, Clair, Bugsy, Jasmine, Falkner, Whitney, Pyrce, Chuck
Again, just a solid lineup all round. the only leader I don't particularly like is Chuck and I can still appreciate him for what he is. Morty is just such a cool guy and I love his gym.

4. Kanto - Erika, Misty, Sabrina*, Blaine*, Janine, Lt. Surge, Blue, Koga, Giovanni
SO you mighta noticed Blaine and Sabrina are marked. this is to indicate that I ranked these two based solely on their LGPE personalities as I feel like these games added so much more character to them specifically. Erika has always been my favourite though, I love her mellow personality and cute design

5. Hoenn - Wallace, Juan, Flannery, Tate & Liza, Norman, Winona, Roxanne, Brawly, Wattson
So even though Hoenn is ranked so low I actually really love these guys. Tate and Liza ranked surprisingly high but Wallace and Juan steal the cake for this set. I love me some fashionable bois

6. Kalos - Wulfric (daddy), Valerie, Korrina, Clemont, Viola, Olympia, Grant, Ramos
Here's where things get... Messy. I REALLY like Wulfric and Valerie but literally everyone else I'm not really all that attached to. Korrina and Clemont are fine but everyone past that point brings the whole league down.

7. Unova - Elesa, Roxie, Marlon, Drayden, Brycen, Iris, Skyla, Burgh, Cheren, Clay, Cilan/Chili/Cress
I REEEEAAAAAALLY dislike the bottom half of this list. Like Kalos, the top 4 save it but the bottom 4 ruin it. Bugh, Cheren, Clay and the triplets are all leaders I can't stand. Drayden is cool but not a top and Brycen through Skyla are just meh.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It would be a tie between Kanto and Johto gym leaders for me. They were the most memorable. Don't really remember later ones for some reason.